news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Haha. So starmer removing the whip from a slew of MPs, kicking out anybody who even breathed the word israel (chickens coming home to f**king well roost now eh?) and blocking anybody who ever liked a tweet by a green party politician from standing is equivalent to some right wing shadow minister (who corbyn invited back into the shad cab after they mutinied) slagging off the leaders office to the press. Who was undermining who? 

You should fix up a windmill to the top of your house, the amount of hot air you generate could solve the climate crisis!

one day the corbynites will do detail enough to know the history of their man.

53 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...and these interest rate hikes...they are going to mostly hit people coming off their fixed rate mortgages later this year and next year...isn't it likely inflation will be much lower by then anyway?

Those that are on fixed rates yes. But not all are. And basically all unsecured debt is not fixed (consumer loans, credit cards) which isnt even mentioned.

The point is simply that the average interest earned on savings exceeds the average increase in interest payment on a mortgage. This is entirely explained by the lag because of fixes and there is no examination of the impact on consumption of the increase in savings income vs an increase in mortgage costs, nor is there the aforementioned reference to unsecured lending.

Its just a nothing statistic and the if the economics editor of newsnight was an actual economist he wouldnt have gone anywhere near it.

6 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Haha. So starmer removing the whip from a slew of MPs, kicking out anybody who even breathed the word israel (chickens coming home to f**king well roost now eh?) and blocking anybody who ever liked a tweet by a green party politician from standing is equivalent to some right wing shadow minister (who corbyn invited back into the shad cab after they mutinied) slagging off the leaders office to the press. Who was undermining who? 

You should fix up a windmill to the top of your house, the amount of hot air you generate could solve the climate crisis!

In my view they have gone too far in terms of banning people, I think they have over corrected after Corbyn . However I think overall it is right that they have tried to reduce discussion about Israel. It is a topic that causes division, not something that the average person prioritises in the slightest and ultimately doesn’t win any votes.

28 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

He comes across a combination of super awkward and smarmy. I agree he will campaign badly. He probably only sees it as a short term job anyway.

I noticed it in the Tory leadership contest last summer, he starts snapping at the slightest push back on him. It’s gonna be fun to watch!

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

hes awful ... will he get that far ?

I can’t see them changing the leader again before an election, but you never know I suppose. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can’t see them changing the leader again before an election, but you never know I suppose. 

I think you are right but sunaks polling is pretty dire … just depends if they think they can do better or if there’s a replacement that would take it 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I think you are right but sunaks polling is pretty dire … just depends if they think they can do better or if there’s a replacement that would take it 

That’s probably some of their issue, there isn’t really anyone better. It shows the extent of their problems!

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

In my view they have gone too far in terms of banning people, I think they have over corrected after Corbyn . However I think overall it is right that they have tried to reduce discussion about Israel. It is a topic that causes division, not something that the average person prioritises in the slightest and ultimately doesn’t win any votes.

the party had to show it was serious about corbyn, (abbott knew what she was doing - expelling herself).