news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 hours ago, Neil said:

not until his supporters are intelligent enough to recognise his flaws.

net popularity numbers would give a slightly different outcome.

But... Corbyn, like Johnson, was like that...marmite...the messiah to some, the antichrist to others...whereas Starmer, Sunak and co are kind of bland and a lot of people don't have much of an opinion of them.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

should we bin the free at point of use and move to a different system, free to those who can't afford it or insurance based or something?

or just raise taxes and pay what is required?

🙂

how do we define affordability ? within a few years id have spent my savings on NHS care prescriptions alone ... then id be reliant on a poorly paid job and wouldn't be able to pay . Id rather tax increase and it be clear that the money is going to nhs and social care ..... 

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

how do we define affordability ? within a few years id have spent my savings on NHS care prescriptions alone ... then id be reliant on a poorly paid job and wouldn't be able to pay . Id rather tax increase and it be clear that the money is going to nhs and social care ..... 

good question, and that could be the problem with it...with means testing there is always going to be someone who feels hard done by.  I think that's how they do it in France though.

I agree with taxes...but could be a hard sell with the great british public.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

good question, and that could be the problem with it...with means testing there is always going to be someone who feels hard done by.  I think that's how they do it in France though.

I agree with taxes...but could be a hard sell with the great british public.

yeah agree .... we dont seem to be a country that goes for taxation . and partially the reason we've been dominated by the torys being in power . they just throw in some tax breaks prior to elections and people lap it up and seem to forget the crumbling services 

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

dunno how its done, the clever wife did it!, but its possible to get free prescriptions, i'm saving £100+ p.m. with freebies. 🙂 

Just now, Neil said:

dunno how its done, the clever wife did it!, but its possible to get free prescriptions, i'm saving £100+ p.m. with freebies. 🙂 

oh i get them now 🙂 medical exemption card ..... just dont think that would be the case if things went private ..... definately not the US version where insulin costs a fortune 

Interesting that even the new statesman is saying the BOE messed up there:

That summer a few members of the Bank’s analytical team scanned the data and began to fret. Far from rising as expected, unemployment was staying stubbornly low. Wages were not falling and inflation, while still close to the Bank’s 2 per cent target, was beginning to build.

If the Bank had got it wrong, that could be disastrous. After all, it was still printing money and buying up government bonds via QE. Interest rates were at rock bottom. Inflation is, as some economists say, a monetary phenomenon and rarely had the monetary conditions been quite so stimulative. Inflation, classically defined, means too much money chasing too few goods. By printing money throughout the pandemic, the Bank, if it was wrong, would have been adding petrol to a bonfire.

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

oh i get them now 🙂 medical exemption card ..... just dont think that would be the case if things went private ..... definately not the US version where insulin costs a fortune 

wasn't talking about it going private, but how NHS funded, so like specs/dentist/prescriptions but with everything.

Just now, steviewevie said:

wasn't talking about it going private, but how NHS funded, so like specs/dentist/prescriptions but with everything.

sidetracked but yeah id be concerned about added cost to essential medicine too , a pretty large nhs cost