news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Direct action is polarising but historically has been undeniably effective.

Ultimately though I think sadly the only thing that will force change is it being too late and people experiencing the very worst effects of climate change.

As with covid, as with the economy- the solutions are there but in a capitalist society policy is always reactive and things have to become catastrophic before they change.

Meanwhile, in a scary communist society: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/china-wind-solar-power-global-renewable-energy-leader

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I don't think they are bothered about taking the public with them...they just want to be noticed and then for people to talk about what they're protesting about...which is probably actually working.

They ultimately want to stop new oil and gas projects which they probably won’t get under the Tories so they should want the Tories out. Their current tactics if they aren’t careful can be used by the right wing to try to sway public opinion off climate issues (look at Brexit).

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

They ultimately want to stop new oil and gas projects which they probably won’t get under the Tories so they should want the Tories out. Their current tactics if they aren’t careful can be used by the right wing to try to sway public opinion off climate issues (look at Brexit).

Interestingly the girl who was in that Starmer speech green new deal protest said this at end of that NS article...

Nevertheless, she said her protest was a “vote of confidence” in Labour as a party that can help to secure the future for her generation. “It’s a challenge to Labour to do more because we believe in them, whereas going to yell at Rishi Sunak about a green new deal would be completely pointless.”

Coningham would still vote Labour. “I don’t necessarily see the point of voting Green. Realistically, I’ve got a hell of a lot more chance of a green new deal if Labour get in.”

4 hours ago, Neil said:

cheers -  shame its not more explicit.

Some extraordinary accusations and they've spent a massive amount of time adding the references too, but yes I wonder when the referenced pictures will start leaking out? 

More about Osborne in the papers today. They know who sent the E-mail and the police are involved. The E-mail was sent to friends and family two months ago.

1 hour ago, lost said:

More about Osborne in the papers today. They know who sent the E-mail and the police are involved. The E-mail was sent to friends and family two months ago.

Police involvement would be intriguing, as clearly a load of the content is referenced to other sources

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

BBC presenter being investigated for paying a teen for explicit photos. I think it’s wrong for the BBC to say they are keeping them off tv for the weekend as it just results in speculation like when Delph got caught up because he was an Everton footballer of a certain age.

Any gossip for who it is?

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

BBC presenter being investigated for paying a teen for explicit photos. I think it’s wrong for the BBC to say they are keeping them off tv for the weekend as it just results in speculation like when Delph got caught up because he was an Everton footballer of a certain age.

The good folks of twitter are hoping it's linekar.

I'm coming to the conclusion you have to be a complete moron to want to be a politician. Same salary as a bog standard middle manager role in tech or finance but with the added bonus of weirdo's turning up at your wedding 6 years after you've left office or in extreme examples getting murdered.

8 minutes ago, lost said:

I'm coming to the conclusion you have to be a complete moron to want to be a politician. Same salary as a bog standard middle manager role in tech or finance but with the added bonus of weirdo's turning up at your wedding 6 years after you've left office or in extreme examples getting murdered.

its about ego.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ego and power and maybe occasionally wanting to improve people's lives.

I don't know why anyone would want to do it either, getting asked difficult questions and having to argue for party policies you might not even agree with.

And the money you can make afterwards. It's a stepping stone.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:14 PM, Ozanne said:

You have to take the public with you if you want to bring about change. If they go too far with their actions then they risk pushing people further away from a cause that people already are on board with as people overwhelmingly support actions to address climate change. It’s a fine balancing act and they risk falling into the other side of that. 

I think the question is how many minds are they changing and the answer is probably few.

Do the public understand the cause they are trying to promote? I’m not convinced.

To me they come across as a load of middle class activists trying to gain a bit of attention and get their stunts shown as much as possible on social media. I think unless they can find a charismatic leader to front the campaign it may do more harm than good.