news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

And didn't we have a conversation a week or two back about how labour had foolishly committed themselves to not overhauling the tax system, or promising no major tweaks or some such. Maybe this inheritance tax thing could be deliberately designed to force labour into flip-flopping on their promises and provide the tories with an attack opportunity?

definitely.

So Labour will say they will not raise it again and we'll all go ho hum.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is the rich don’t pay it, they generally find ways around it.

Even so it would become an optics thing, imagine how it would look to the average voter?

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Agreed and I’m not in favour of stopping it, neither do I believe it’s the most effective way of taxing the rich.

Also Labour could respond by just saying ‘do you remember the Liz Truss stuff, they want to do it again’.

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

So there is money available. Convenient. 

inheritance tax is a very small amount cos most people avoid it,it's easy to avoid with a bit of forward thinking.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is the rich don’t pay it, they generally find ways around it.

its not just the very rich who avoid it, nowadays its middle-class couples with a million pound house. 

2 hours ago, lost said:

I'd be surprised if it wasn't just different factions leaking/suggesting stuff. Jeremy Hunt doesn't seem the type.

hunt will secure his mps seat with abolishing inheritance tax, he'll be in trouble otherwise, farnham is  middle-class million pound houses-commuter-land.

He is the only person alive who isn't a tory who the British public have actually voted for. If you don't like the Tories he sorta wins by default.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Iraq war ..... hmm 

Plus Surestart centres, minimum wage and a propery funded NHS. How do you weigh one single policy against another?. Blair/Brown were better than the tory governments before and after and that's enough for me.

Specifically on the Iraq wars, we tried just using air cover to help topple Gaddafi in Libya then did nothing to help the opposition in Syria. Are the results in Syria better than the results in Iraq? They are all a mess with thousands dead.

1 minute ago, lazyred said:

Plus Surestart centres, minimum wage and a propery funded NHS. How do you weigh one single policy against another?. Blair/Brown were better than the tory governments before and after and that's enough for me.

Specifically on the Iraq wars, we tried just using air cover to help topple Gaddafi in Libya then did nothing to help the opposition in Syria. Are the results in Syria better than the results in Iraq? They are all a mess with thousands dead.

sure he did some good stuff here .... not sure how that balances with the war stuff though its a hard question . in terms of this country I guess hes the best but the bar isnt high 

20 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Problem is the dodgy reasons Blair gave to the country to justify the invasion. Libya and Syria were already embroiled in civil wars...Iraq wasn't. The outcome of that invasion was a disaster for Iraq and the region.