news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, lost said:

Im very happy with Starmer so far but can understand why people on the left aren’t.

I guess the question is would people rather have Sunak vs Starmer with minimal changes or Truss vs Corbyn with real choice but significant changes which maybe unpalatable if your team loses.

Honestly I would take the gamble with Truss vs Corbyn, especially at this point. I think in both scenarios Labour still wins, and even if not I'd just rather have some significant change rather than milling along as usual. And I was vocal about how awful the Truss policies were. 

Also if Labour lost in both scenarios - Corbyn losing just means people can carry on blaming him for Labour's failings. If Starmer lost to Sunak then what will they all say then? Labour Party would be ruined.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

you zare not the political sage you pretend to be, i'f i'm on the centre its because i want to see labour win, i've seen the left piss it up the wall twice in my lifetime and sewnd years repairing the damage, its stupid to pretend the electorate is different to what it is. labour is the only alternative to the tories who win if we try to be leftist.

No one’s asking for much tbh, just a few principles. It’s totally legitimate to question what Labour are even for if they’ll go against their principles of you know actually being the f**king Labour Party, to say they won’t get rid of the 2 child cap. It’s pathetic. 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

...but yes Starmer has a better chance of winning cause the whole country is centrist toryland etc etc blah blah

Anyway, Starmer has done a hard job pretty well, he does deserve credit...but you look at his polling and he is hardly enthusing the country,  so won't take too much to damage him and labour end up losing. Blair was super duper popular, he was the man, until he turned into a c**t.

Starmer is also the most popular politician in the country at the moment according to Ipsos.

41 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

No one’s asking for much tbh, just a few principles. It’s totally legitimate to question what Labour are even for if they’ll go against their principles of you know actually being the f**king Labour Party, to say they won’t get rid of the 2 child cap. It’s pathetic. 

first principle is getting elected. everything else has to be in balance with that, they can promise unfunded spending and have a liz truss effect on the reast of the economy. 😛 

tell you what labour could cut spending on criminal justice and let the 1.8% of the population who are a sexual threat to children be unsupervised.

37 minutes ago, Neil said:

first principle is getting elected. everything else has to be in balance with that, they can promise unfunded spending and have a liz truss effect on the reast of the economy. 😛 

yes I am sure that getting rid of the 2 child cap would collapse the economy 

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

yes I am sure that getting rid of the 2 child cap would collapse the economy 

it needs something else in order to happen. do you have a full policy or just a wish?

so if its going to be paid for how's it being paid for?what are you going to cut to pay for it?

Edited by Neil

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

started believing his own press releases.

next up will be Bristol mayor marvin rees he wants to be the mp of the new Bristol constituency, which is mad - hes so disliked that Bristol voted to abolish the city mayor. if he doesn't get selected for the new seat (a local members decision) he'll kick off.

I understand the argument about wanting to get into power, I really do. But doing that at the moment does not require you to completely abandon all of your pledges and principles on the way. I will still vote Labour and encourage everyone I know to do so, but it is definitely getting to the stage where the differences between the parties are a lot fewer than I would like. It is also perhaps very trusting to believe Starmer will suddenly veer to the left once in power when he has not shown an ounce of left-leaning thinking in the run-up to power.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

I understand the argument about wanting to get into power, I really do. But doing that at the moment does not require you to completely abandon all of your pledges and principles on the way. I will still vote Labour and encourage everyone I know to do so, but it is definitely getting to the stage where the differences between the parties are a lot fewer than I would like. It is also perhaps very trusting to believe Starmer will suddenly veer to the left once in power when he has not shown an ounce of left-leaning thinking in the run-up to power.

he's getting quite a lot of sh*t for that 2 child policy...I wonder if there will be a u-turn. Think they f**ked up there.

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess this is why...popular init.

Grim.

It is grim but it’s like me and Neil have been saying. There is a reason for his actions.

I would also imagine that they’ll be something in the manifesto when they talk about UC that will help families with this. 

2 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

So you reckon Labour policies can alter how you vote, but can't alter anyone else's  vote?