news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Was just reading about the level of discontent in Labour Party about all this - maybe if they do a U-turn and promise to abolish the 2-child policy, everyone in this thread will agree for a brief moment in time? That would be nice.

21 minutes ago, cellar said:

Was just reading about the level of discontent in Labour Party about all this - maybe if they do a U-turn and promise to abolish the 2-child policy, everyone in this thread will agree for a brief moment in time? That would be nice.

Will make sure it gets documented 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

One great to PM to the next Labour PM, he isn’t wrong.

Tell me when I’m telling lies. 

Mostly from the corbynista lefties 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Unsurprisingly it doesn’t look like there any rebellion at all today for Labour. 

I expect shadow ministers and co have all been forewarned about things like this, and to stay focused and disciplined etc etc...MPs and others within labour movement are more outspoken. This will come up at conference.

Depending on how important you think climate change is...and how much you think our country makes much difference anyway....if you want us to move to decarbonise as much and as quickly as possible then realistically we need labour to replace this current tory one, because the one we have now is full of climate change sceptics including the PM, and Labour have still got some ambitious green policies. If you're going to vote Green because labour isn't left wing enough and that leads to another Tory govt, well...enough said.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I expect shadow ministers and co have all been forewarned about things like this, and to stay focused and disciplined etc etc...MPs and others within labour movement are more outspoken. This will come up at conference.

It’ll come up this weekend at the NPF I suspect, they’ll firm up more policy this weekend internally and then around conference probably announce it.

If anything the lack of anyone really breaking rank from Labour publicly today shows how together they are. 

Edited by Ozanne

5 hours ago, gizmoman said:

I don't claim to be left wing (or right wing for that matter), the reason the cap was brought in was the old system rewarded people who had more kids, more kids=more money, the reason it is stlll somewhat popular is that taxpayers don't want to see their taxes funding other peoples otherwise unaffordable large families. 

People buy into the thinking that it is a reward and it is single parents living in their luxurious council house given to them for free.

I have 5 kids and while we did not have them for extra cash one is not going to reject it. Most of the benefits we received, outside of child benefit, were all in work benefits and allowed us not having to worry about school dinners and trips etc. I saw the credits as an investment in the kids future and they have all gone through uni and are 'useful' citizens lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

People buy into the thinking that it is a reward and it is single parents living in their luxurious council house given to them for free.

I have 5 kids and while we did not have them for extra cash one is not going to reject it. Most of the benefits we received, outside of child benefit, were all in work benefits and allowed us not having to worry about school dinners and trips etc. I saw the credits as an investment in the kids future and they have all gone through uni and are 'useful' citizens lol.

all this. The whole thing came out of right wing media scrounger stuff...basically the benefits are for individual kids, to help them...that is the way to look at it. The cap is just tory w*nk rag bollocks and needs to be reversed. Labour has a 20 point lead, and if starmer had any bollocks he would reverse it...still hoping he will.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

all this. The whole thing came out of right wing media scrounger stuff...basically the benefits are for individual kids, to help them...that is the way to look at it. The cap is just tory w*nk rag bollocks and needs to be reversed. Labour has a 20 point lead, and if starmer had any bollocks he would reverse it...still hoping he will.

I reckon it will be addressed in the reform of UC, just wait dear friend. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Labour aren't winning anything with low ratings for starmer.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think he Will. When everyone is struggling offering a giveawaythat most can't Access is not a good look.

Edited by Neil

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

Labour aren't winning anything with low ratings for starmer.

I think he Will. When everyone is struggling offering a giveawaythat most can't Access is not a good look.

The fact you refer to money for poor kids as a 'giveaway that most can't access' is extremely bizarre. Shall we cut your PIP while we are at it cause most people don't benefit? No, cause that would be mental.

23 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Is there any data on families with 3+ kids, are there a lot more in lower socioeconomic groups?

Found it quite difficult to find any data on this - but from the ONS website:

"Of all families with dependent children, families with one child made up 44% (3.6 million) in 2022. Families with two children made up 41% (3.4 million), and families with three or more children made up 15% (1.2 million)."

The numbers I've seen suggest around 400,000 families affected by the 2-child cap, so about a third. That doesn't say anything about the other two thirds though.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it is just offering all kids the same amount.

there's lots of good reasons to end the cap and  other reasons why its not so easy, the cost will be carried by another programme just as worthy.