news & politics:discussion

zahidf

This weekend Labour’s NPF meet to discuss policy ahead of the next general election. In May the draft NPF forum document was released and here’s some of the polices:

I see on twitter Owen Jones getting at Kier Mather for supporting the leadership stance (let’s be honest as a 25 year old, newly elected MP he has no influence on labour policy) regarding the child benefit cap.

As someone who would be happy for them to remove the cap, the idea that anyone who disagrees supports children being in poverty is disingenuous. There are wealthy parents with 3 children, while there are families with 1 or 2 kids living in poverty. We absolutely need less children in poverty, but this is not the only way to achieve that aim.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

lots of good stuff in there, but how much of it will end up in the manifesto?

69% of it?

I have no idea really, I just wanted to use the sex number. Hopefully a lot of it. 

17 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I find it strange some people moaning about someone in their 20s being an mp. I don’t think you want 650 of them , but having 2 or 3 offers a different perspective.

This post reads as though having 2 or 3 MPs in their 20s is almost too much, and just filling up a quota. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but surely you don't mean that?

27 minutes ago, cellar said:

This post reads as though having 2 or 3 MPs in their 20s is almost too much, and just filling up a quota. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but surely you don't mean that?

Not a quota at all, just me guessing how many are currently there. I think people with different ages and backgrounds offer different perspectives.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I see on twitter Owen Jones getting at Kier Mather for supporting the leadership stance (let’s be honest as a 25 year old, newly elected MP he has no influence on labour policy) regarding the child benefit cap.

As someone who would be happy for them to remove the cap, the idea that anyone who disagrees supports children being in poverty is disingenuous. There are wealthy parents with 3 children, while there are families with 1 or 2 kids living in poverty. We absolutely need less children in poverty, but this is not the only way to achieve that aim.

There was a study which showed getting rid of the cap was the easiest and most cost effective way to reduce chold poverty 

Its a political decision not to get rid, so they should be criticised for it on that basis

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

There was a study which showed getting rid of the cap was the easiest and most cost effective way to reduce chold poverty 

Its a political decision not to get rid, so they should be criticised for it on that basis

He is a newly elected MP, I think it’s a bit much expecting him to come out attacking the leadership on day 1, I say give him a chance.

There are studies that show a lot of things and politicians generally cherry pick the ones they like. I would be happy to see the cap go, but the consequence of that is people with 3 kids at the top of the income scale will also be better off, I would rather they not get the bonus and that money instead go to poorer families with 1 or 2 kids.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Not a quota at all, just me guessing how many are currently there. I think people with different ages and backgrounds offer different perspectives.

There should be MPs of all ages and backgrounds in the Commons. Mercer is only piping up now because it’s a Labour MP, when it was a Tory he conveniently didn’t say anything.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It’s a Tory policy that no one has mentioned before last Sunday. Labour have said they will keep it but there is talk that UC reform will give tailored help to those that need it.

Again those people kicking off say nothing about the Tories that implemented the policy for some reason. 

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

He is a newly elected MP, I think it’s a bit much expecting him to come out attacking the leadership on day 1, I say give him a chance.

There are studies that show a lot of things and politicians generally cherry pick the ones they like. I would be happy to see the cap go, but the consequence of that is people with 3 kids at the top of the income scale will also be better off, I would rather they not get the bonus and that money instead go to poorer families with 1 or 2 kids.

People hold Labour MPs to higher standards than that of Tory ones. Notice no asks the new Tory MP in Uxbridge what he thinks of any controversial policy.

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

People hold Labour MPs to higher standards than that of Tory ones. Notice no asks the new Tory MP in Uxbridge what he thinks of any controversial policy.

Almost like Labour are meant to be the party of the working class (the clue is in the name!)

Your argument is so daft. People absolutely did slate the Tories for bringing about the cap years ago- maybe you didn't have Twitter then? The whole point of the Conservatives is smaller government and less state spending, I don't agree with it but it's an option people should be free to vote for. The whole point is that Labour are meant to provide a platform which is the opposite of that. Dunno how you don't get this.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Lol they'll do that whatever. Hasn't he noticed?

Probably but the issue wasn’t as severe in Selby and there’s plenty of policy the Tories disagree with. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

so is the strategy to not have any policies so they can't have anything on a tory leaflet?

Not at all, it’s to try to limit the potency of any Tory attack lines which will be amplified by the media.

I shared Labour policies earlier on as well. 

14 hours ago, zahidf said:

Rachel reeves won't get past the membership at all. 

true, they haven't forgiven her for saying about 5 years ago that "labour aren't the party of benefits"