news & politics:discussion

zahidf

28 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sod it let’s just stick it on the national curriculum maybe replace the foreign languages and isolate our little island further . 

24 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

What about draughts or snakes and ladders? Now those are cool games.

Plenty of draughts already the govt should be sorting … or should  say these snakes 🐍!! 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The BoE are purposely pushing us towards a recession, so it’d be mission accomplished for them. 

Yes they are trying to get inflation down as is their remit. You’ve finally cracked it! I know you don’t want your mortgage payments to go up but double digit inflation is crippling everyone 

28 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yes they are trying to get inflation down as is their remit. You’ve finally cracked it! I know you don’t want your mortgage payments to go up but double digit inflation is crippling everyone 

is hard that one .... looking at mortgages they are also a massive issue for many ..... obviously its advantageous for those without mortgages for prices to fall .... but then people need to be able to get on the ladder to start and interest rates and deposits needed are so high now . I don't know what's worse tbh 

Raising interest rates to deal with supply side inflation is the wrong course of action and will make matters much worse; as is starting to be seen now. 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

is hard that one .... looking at mortgages they are also a massive issue for many ..... obviously its advantageous for those without mortgages for prices to fall .... but then people need to be able to get on the ladder to start and interest rates and deposits needed are so high now . I don't know what's worse tbh 

it's a sh*t way to bring down house prices...making them unaffordable...first time buyers are f**ked too because more expensive mortgages...we need more houses built, not economic downturns...and also bentos is just being a twat accusing ozanne of being selfish with not wanting interest rate rises when he was banging on about wanting a house price crash so he can get on the ladder.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Raising interest rates to deal with supply side inflation is the wrong course of action and will make matters much worse; as is starting to be seen now. 

its certainly pushing people onto the streets which is absolute sh*t and as soon as someone sorts a budget then rates jump again .... like they will tomorrow ... those jumps for those with mortgages are horrendous .. plus they get the double whammy of inflation too . 

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's a sh*t way to bring down house prices...making them unaffordable...first time buyers are f**ked too because more expensive mortgages...we need more houses built, not economic downturns...and also bentos is just being a twat accusing ozanne of being selfish with not wanting interest rate rises when he was banging on about wanting a house price crash so he can get on the ladder.

I can see that house prices lower is an advantage to those without ... but not with these rates and deposit requirements ... I think both have different reasoning but its pretty sh*t all round 

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I should be ok when the fixed term on my mortgage is up in a few years and should be ok with house prices falling as I put a larger deposit down but it is still a worry. But house prices falling whilst people will have to remortgage on much higher rates is a disaster waiting to happen as some could have negative equity. Interest rates would’ve fallen without the BoE messing around with interest rates so they’ve just made everything much worse. 

On the political side of things it’s a disaster for the government if things continue the way they are heading at the moment.

The New Agents did a podcast a few days ago on house prices falling, which is worth a listen. 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I can see that house prices lower is an advantage to those without ... but not with these rates and deposit requirements ... I think both have different reasoning but its pretty sh*t all round 

the whole housing markets is a disaster...needs to be seen less of as an investment, and more just as somewhere to live.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

the whole housing markets is a disaster...needs to be seen less of as an investment, and more just as somewhere to live.

for sure .... my  relatives in Germany have happily rented the same place for decades .... house ownership is a British thing 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

If 10 percent inflation hangs about much longer you'll know which is worse 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Tell me ozanne doesn't want IRs to go up cause of personal reasons and i'll shut up about it. Who cares about infaltion running rampant eh as long as ozanne doesn't have to remortage at 6%. Also I've been able to get on the ladder for years, houses aren't that bad where I live, but I also know that high house prices have been extremely bad for this country. But cause most people in this thread are over 40 they don't care cause they could buy cheap homes which have trebled in value or more.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Can someone please explain to me how Ozanne knows better than the BoE, Fed , ECB, and the central banks of NZ, Aus and bascially every western country? Anyone ?? Someone please enlighten me. He reads a few Richard Murphy threads on twitter and thinks he's an economist. 

54 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

for sure .... my  relatives in Germany have happily rented the same place for decades .... house ownership is a British thing 

my relatives in germany have bought houses and don't think its strange.