news & politics:discussion

zahidf

we can have different opinions, but just resorting to insults is not ok.

Ok Fray you f**king dickhead?

Inflation is bad and it is banks remit is to bring that inflation down with the only real tool they have, interest rates. But interest rates can be damaging too, for those with debt and mortgages, and can lead to a recession which can be bad in term of unemployment and more misery etc. But inflation is a killer and the type we have hurts the poorest most. It is all bad. So there are different opinions with interest rates with the type of inflation we have, their effect is not necessarily immediate, and inflation looks like it's on its way down...and these rate rises will hit mortgage owners over next months and years, especially those who have recently got on the housing ladder or are hoping to get on it, it will hit renters, and it will hit businesses and jobs, and inflation could well be down by next year anyway. Or food prices will go through the roof again because what is going on in Ukraine. 

House prices do need to be lower, infact the whole housing markets needs to change, it is driven by greed and fear instead of what they actually are, homes. So, build more homes and tax sales or something.

Anyway, I expect interest rates will go up. Doesn't affect me, infact I gain, and that's the important thing, right Fray?

8 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah sorry but you’re a moron. You do realise just cause you can find a tweet of someone agreeing with you, it doesn’t make you correct?

Cutting interest rates when inflation is running rampant 😂😂😂idiocy 

can you please reply without the personal insults however much you disagree .... it makes for much better reading and makes the thread much better for everyone . It is possible that someone holds a different view and this being different doesn't make someone a moron ... Its tough times for a hell of a lot of people and I find efests often a place of refuge where we can escape things like the bullshit of twitter insults . Please respect differing opinions Thanks 

As I’ve said I am concerned about myself but at the moment I think I should just about be ok with interest rates but it will make things tougher. I’m also concerned about people that are struggling to make ends meet as it is without their mortgages/rents going up as a result of the BoE decisions. Now add on top of that falling house prices and it just makes things worse. It is possible to think of others instead of yourself in all this.

I am certain that if the BoE had done nothing then inflation would’ve started to fall anyway because it’s supply side driven not consumer driven. The government could’ve stepped in and taken actions that helps ie price controls but they haven’t got a clue what they are doing or don’t want to help. Now the BoE should admit they have made mistakes and freeze/cut interest rates but they won’t do that because they are incompetent so we have just have to take another hit to our finances after years of austerity and wage stagnation. 

55 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we can have different opinions, but just resorting to insults is not ok.

yeah Stevie I’ll endeavour to be better and more reasonable like you 😂

House prices do need to be lower, infact the whole housing markets needs to change, it is driven by greed and fear instead of what they actually are, homes. So, build more homes and tax sales or something.

We do tax sales and as pointed out a few posts back, supply and demand is not as big a factor as made out. What was a big factor of the insane increases is letting people borrow hundred of thousands at crazy low IRs

Anyway, I expect interest rates will go up. Doesn't affect me, infact I gain, and that's the important thing, right Fray?

Good for you… also worth noting that nobody wins when inflation is reallY high. 

30 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

can you please reply without the personal insults however much you disagree .... it makes for much better reading and makes the thread much better for everyone . It is possible that someone holds a different view and this being different doesn't make someone a moron ... Its tough times for a hell of a lot of people and I find efests often a place of refuge where we can escape things like the bullshit of twitter insults . Please respect differing opinions Thanks 

I can’t help it. I’ll stop calling him names when he stops suggesting dangerous nonsense. If they cut IRs today (which the obv won’t) the pound would collapse immediately from an already low base. This would mean imports increase in price and inflation gets worse. Nobody can dispute that surely.

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

As I’ve said I am concerned about myself but at the moment I think I should just about be ok with interest rates but it will make things tougher. I’m also concerned about people that are struggling to make ends meet as it is without their mortgages/rents going up as a result of the BoE decisions. Now add on top of that falling house prices and it just makes things worse. It is possible to think of others instead of yourself in all this.

I am certain that if the BoE had done nothing then inflation would’ve started to fall anyway because it’s supply side driven not consumer driven. The government could’ve stepped in and taken actions that helps ie price controls but they haven’t got a clue what they are doing or don’t want to help. Now the BoE should admit they have made mistakes and freeze/cut interest rates but they won’t do that because they are incompetent so we have just have to take another hit to our finances after years of austerity and wage stagnation. 

No one has ever disputed that inflation would fall a Bit even if you did nothing, but that isn’t good enough, they need to get way way lower. The whole point is it’s meant to be painful for people because they know that high inflation long term cripples people more. You can’t see the wood for the trees - you’re too focussed on your own mortgage payment that you can’t see that there are worse things going on.

I’m not going to call you a moron for the price control suggestion cause I’ll get into trouble. But I really want to!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I can’t help it. I’ll stop calling him names when he stops suggesting dangerous nonsense. If they cut IRs today (which the obv won’t) the pound would collapse immediately from an already low base. This would mean imports increase in price and inflation gets worse. Nobody can dispute that surely.

The thread just falls into chaos when that happens by all means challenge things and passionately if you need to but that can still be done without names . It also helps people read and try and understand the posts … if I wasn’t a mod I’d just be skipping the pages of insults they don’t aid discussion whatsoever , im sure you can see that however passionate you may feel 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The thread just falls into chaos when that happens by all means challenge things and passionately if you need to but that can still be done without names . It also helps people read and try and understand the posts … if I wasn’t a mod I’d just be skipping the pages of insults they don’t aid discussion whatsoever , im sure you can see that however passionate you may feel 

Ok I’ll try tone it down, but to be told off my Stevie is obviously laughable given his posts.

Cant promise he won’t enrage me again today though as the Bank of England are gonna raise interest rates again at midday 

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Ok I’ll try tone it down, but to be told off my Stevie is obviously laughable given his posts.

Cant promise he won’t enrage me again today though as the Bank of England are gonna raise interest rates again at midday 

Appreciate that thanks 

I try not to get involved in forum political chats but waking up today seeing the news I am now pretty much beyond despair with the UK and what our government is doing to us and it. Here are just 4 of this mornings things........

1) Former Conservative Minister:

"reducing inflation “almost inevitably means a drop in people’s living standards for a period of time”. “It is a really difficult sell to the public. No-one likes to admit it,”"
but it's OK for businesses to make record profits cos we have to have growth...........

2) A Conservative back bench MP from an interview with the I newspaper, who wished to remain unnamed:
"“The reality is to get inflation under control, people do have to be poor,”"
but it's fine for businesses to make record profits, a lot of which are simply down to Russia invading Ukraine.
Profit due to war is fine, people being poor is, it seems, also fine.

3) Over 50's need to go and deliver takeaways

4) Nothing is ever the Tories fault, not even the waiting lists they created.

May be an image of motorcycle and text that says "Get on your delivery bike minister tells the over-50s Non-working older people should widen ideas' Geraldine Political Reporter should deliver- flexible pandemic ane struggling inancially. Stride imply wish their lifestyle Stride, Jimes, open what situation and what the needed visit delivery firm Deliveroos ecompany riders back the should pply There nave they adults, over certamn than million figunes abso- eviblean concern England warned situation will make inflation introduced that allow Analysis from Institute Fiscal Studies think tank found nearly really need life, examples hrough Kind lifestyle living standards you're expecting."May be an image of 1 person and text that says "Rishi: NHS strikes are to blame for waiting lists... 2022: STRIKE STARTS 2007 2020: COVID PANDEMIC 2010: TORIES GLAZE Deputy TAKE POWER Sunak doctors R rising NHS waiting figures show they haves soared since the Tories power 2010. medie saido PM's claim: YEAH, RIGHT STORY: PAGE"

On 6/19/2023 at 2:04 PM, steviewevie said:

Still, we could well see 10-30% knocked off house prices which overall is probably a good thing (apart from those who go into negative equity and need to sell). 

Was actually you who said a house price crash is ‘probably a good thing’ btw Stevie!

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

House prices do need to be lower, infact the whole housing markets needs to change

it needs to change but i think the damage is now fixed in, am trying to sell my mum's granny flat at the moment, but there's a lot to choose from  so its not going to sell fast. its in a great retirement village (has its own restaurants and bar.- i could quite fancy living there, close to town centre, etc.).

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Great job 👏… does ask a few questions about the security of the PMs home mind … although he’s away at Disneyworld I think . No harm done and a good point made he will plough on with planetary destruction policies regardless 

Saw a poll recently. 55% of people support green policies as long as they don't cost them anything and they wont see any drops in living standards. If green policies cause drops in living standards then support for them dropped to 26% 

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Saw a poll recently. 55% of people support green policies as long as they don't cost them anything and they wont see any drops in living standards. If green policies cause drops in living standards then support for them dropped to 26% 

Whilst forgetting that it will cost them more in the longer term without any action as the world scramble around trying to find food sources … if migration is an issue now it’s nothing to what it will become as places become not fit for habitation due to flooding and extreme heat 🥵 

39 minutes ago, lost said:

Kin'ell...45% don't support green policies even if no cost to them?

15 minutes ago, lost said:

Wait until they experience the drop in living standards from not implementing net zero in the next few years.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

No

Wouldn't be shocked if they hit 6% and then stayed there for the foreseeable. They defo aren't dropping by a lot any time soon.

That’s one hell of a lot of screwed people with mortgages 😞 pretty grim for them