news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Mostly reasonable but I read that saying that he knows that the new licences make no difference to energy security but won’t revoke them because of legal stuff . Revoking them to me is crucial and we shouldn’t be taking further steps as a nation to destruct the planet further whilst we can still stop 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Mostly reasonable but I read that saying that he knows that the new licences make no difference to energy security but won’t revoke them because of legal stuff . Revoking them to me is crucial and we shouldn’t be taking further steps as a nation to destruct the planet further whilst we can still stop 

I read it more as he won't revoke them because of not wanting to rattle investors - which I'm still not comfortable with, as I think we need leadership capable of challenging this status quo.

But overall it is a very good piece I feel. He's basically saying we need to create the new thing first to make the old one obsolete, before trying to force the old one out. I can get on board with that.

53 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s the best option of any of the major parties, as from what I can tell none of them are saying they’ll revoke any existing licenses at the moment. Starmer is saying that he won’t allow any ones under his watch and they’ll build up renewables at a much better rate than under the Tories whilst fazing out fossil fuels. It’s also encouraging that they are backing down on their green policies as Sunak has done, they are doubling down on them.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s the best option of any of the major parties, as from what I can tell none of them are saying they’ll revoke any existing licenses at the moment. Starmer is saying that he won’t allow any ones under his watch and they’ll build up renewables at a much better rate than under the Tories whilst fazing out fossil fuels. It’s also encouraging that they are backing down on their green policies as Sunak has done, they are doubling down on them.

The problem with that is that the tories will hand them out Willy nilly now and Labour won’t revoke so we are no better off in respect of the new licences . The rest I agree with 

20 minutes ago, cellar said:

I read it more as he won't revoke them because of not wanting to rattle investors - which I'm still not comfortable with, as I think we need leadership capable of challenging this status quo.

But overall it is a very good piece I feel. He's basically saying we need to create the new thing first to make the old one obsolete, before trying to force the old one out. I can get on board with that.

The overall costs to the planet and economic impact will far outweigh the cost to revoking them … just feel like you it should be stronger . I’ll check Lib Dem policy 2moro as I’m not 100% sure on what they’d do 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The problem with that is that the tories will hand them out Willy nilly now and Labour won’t revoke so we are no better off in respect of the new licences . The rest I agree with 

Then that’s on the Tories, Labour can’t be expected to repeal every bad thing that the Tories do.

There’s loads of good stuff in Labour’s climate agenda, it’s so in-depth and the best way we get to Net Zero in this country. It’s probably best to focus on that rather than the 1 thing you don’t like. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Then that’s on the Tories, Labour can’t be expected to repeal every bad thing that the Tories do.

There’s loads of good stuff in Labour’s climate agenda, it’s so in-depth and the best way we get to Net Zero in this country. It’s probably best to focus on that rather than the 1 thing you don’t like. 

It gets too late that’s the issue … it’s on the tories yep but the consequences are on the planet it’s not party political or it shouldn’t be . It needs to stop yesterday . That goes for whoever is in power 

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It gets too late that’s the issue … it’s on the tories yep but the consequences are on the planet it’s not party political or it shouldn’t be . It needs to stop yesterday . That goes for whoever is in power 

The party coming into power always inherits a situation created by the policies of all previous govts and has to work with that situation.

the whole thing with net zero is the need to transition as seamlessly and painlessly as possible, otherwise you're just going to get whoever is in charge voted out and/or civil disorder, riots etc. So, they really need to switch to renewables/nuclear as quick as possible...and we have to hope the big boys in china/india/usa do same too...and this doesn't cause too many global issues, poverty, wars, etc. 

Edited by steviewevie

7 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Unfortunately - emboldened by their victory in Spaffer’s old patch - this government has now decided any climate/environmental issue is ‘woke’ and not really an issue.

Going to be a difficult task to make the loud-mouthed, Covid-denying, wish-they-banked-at-Coutts GBeebies lot that love them so much understand it’s more important than any political agenda.

It’s just another thing people expect Labour to repeal when they get into power. How many things is that now?

Yes in an ideal world they would revoke these licenses but there will be legal ramifications for doing so and ones where Labour probably think that they don’t need to be dealing with considering they’ll have so much more to deal with when they get in. 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yeah of course but im sure revoking them isn't impossible 

if all govts do is policy ping pong we don't get any improvements.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It’s just another thing people expect Labour to repeal when they get into power. How many things is that now?

Yes in an ideal world they would revoke these licenses but there will be legal ramifications for doing so and ones where Labour probably think that they don’t need to be dealing with considering they’ll have so much more to deal with when they get in. 

Couple of days ago you posted a good article about sunak and his interests in oil investments do you still believe that this is the case ? Why should this be funded along with planet destruction … the future of the planet should be at the top of any new govt issues if  that’s not dealt with everything else is screwed anyway.  

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

The Tory party deputy chairman.

Caught some of the 5 Live phone in about the barge this morning. A new low in demonisation with some callers calling them "gimmegrants", as in "coming over here sponging off the state...".

The likelihood of those shouting the loudest for Fortress Britain and their being the first to the front of the queue demanding to be let into another country as climate refugees? Yeah, quite likely I'm thinking.

This barge story is straight out of Malcolm Tucker's playbook.