news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Always jam tomorrow with the Tories  

13 years down the line .... wonder if those sat on the nhs waiting lists are feeling better off ( might be me soon ) or those unable to return to work struggling with long covid ... ( nightmare ) or other things 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

13 years down the line .... wonder if those sat on the nhs waiting lists are feeling better off ( might be me soon ) or those unable to return to work struggling with long covid ... ( nightmare ) or other things 

Probably not! This is what they do now, always dangle a carrot and say we just need a bit more pain to get there. We never do.

Are you ok?

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Probably not! This is what they do now, always dangle a carrot and say we just need a bit more pain to get there. We never do.

Are you ok?

Potential hernia .... scan now booked in for sept so will see how things go ... not in pain at present fortunately 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

only person i know with long covid was a nurse who got a friendly doc to do her a special prescription, she could cope quite well then!

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Potential hernia .... scan now booked in for sept so will see how things go ... not in pain at present fortunately 

Jeez. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get seen quickly and it still doesn’t cause pain. 

Just now, Neil said:

only person i know with long covid was a nurse who got a friendly doc to do her a special prescription, she could cope quite well then!

my friend a fellow efester caught it at the first Glastonbury back and went last year , she really struggled , my niece had covid 3 x and it may well have triggered type 1 diabetes .... there's some long term hits to the nhs yet to filter through ... diabetes is for one a massive cost that doesnt seem to have been planned for . 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Jeez. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get seen quickly and it still doesn’t cause pain. 

fingers crossed a friend was given a 2.5 year wait recently for the same and because of pain he was forced to get it sorted privately as he's self employed 

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

diabetes is for one a massive cost that doesnt seem to have been planned for . 

yeah has been, the gps are really hot on testing cos they're trying to stop pepole getting diabetic problems.

my friend a fellow efester caught it at the first Glastonbury back and went last year , she really struggled , my niece had covid 3 x and it may well have triggered type 1 diabetes .... there's some long term hits to the nhs yet to filter through ... diabetes is for one a massive cost that doesnt seem to have been planned for . 

Is that a thing? I caught covid last March then was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in May. Was wondering why as my diet is so much better since my heart attack 3 years ago.

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

Is that a thing? I caught covid last March then was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in May. Was wondering why as my diet is so much better since my heart attack 3 years ago.

Type 1 and 2 very different beasts , Covid has been discovered recently that amongst other things that it is a likely trigger for type 1 ..... tbh I don't know about type 2 as that is mostly caused by other factors ... worth looking into though there may also be links .

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Type 1 and 2 very different beasts , Covid has been discovered recently that amongst other things that it is a likely trigger for type 1 ..... tbh I don't know about type 2 as that is mostly caused by other factors ... worth looking into though there may also be links .

covid also creates blood clots which has caused strokes, and eye problems.

indeed ... was yours ever thought of as from covid ? 

might have been - but unlikely, as far as i know i didn't get covid until two years later.

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The NHS is a strange animal at the moment...

The NHS has largely failed my kids.  From GP appointments, hospital referrals and dentistry - I just can't get it to perform for them.  We have given up and had to pay privately for the kids to see dentist and I think I am going to have to pay privately for them to have braces etc because you just can't get them sorted on the NHS right now.  Its bordering on a disgrace.  Free at the point of use isn't much use if you can't get in to use it...

Saying that, I was floored a few months back to hear my mum had breast cancer.  Her treatment couldn't of been any better really beyond a bit of delay at one point.  She is still under treatment but its seems they have got it all out of her and she is out of the danger zone with it all.  Thankfully it didn't spread.  

Bit of a lottery on how it performs depending on what you have.  It seems to do well with the critical stuff and utterly failing on its bread and butter stuff.

The debate over private vs NHS is an interesting one but for me and our kids its utterly irrelevant.  We can't get them seen on the NHS so we are now having to go the private route.  We don't have a choice.  Looking at Bupa plans as it works out cheaper than PAYG.

nhs dentists are f**ked.i've been paying for private, spent a fortune.

i was in hospital during the worst of covid and thought the nhs kept performing very well. also a friend   had great cancer treatment about a year ago.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Its a huge statement to say "the NHS kept performing very well". 

i went thru six hospitals so got to see quite a lot. of different stuff

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

as i menrioned yesterday, this is what i've said to my son. i suggested canada ( cos he's already spent six months living there)he doesn't fancy canada.

(if i was eighteen again, i'd be thinking of quitting.)

34 minutes ago, Neil said:

as i menrioned yesterday, this is what i've said to my son. i suggested canada ( cos he's already spent six months living there)he doesn't fancy canada.

I think Canada is worse than here property wise. Particularly places like Vancouver which the Chinese seem to love.

I've a British/Chinese friend who emigrated there to be an estate agent and she's making a small fortune.

10 minutes ago, lost said:

I think Canada is worse than here property wise. Particularly places like Vancouver which the Chinese seem to love.

I've a British/Chinese friend who emigrated there to be an estate agent and she's making a small fortune.

every opportunity is sewn-up in the uk, seems like less is sewn-up in a new country, new country with lots of land seems a good idea to me. 🙂 

24 minutes ago, lost said:

Canada, Australia and NZ are all worse than the UK with regards to house prices.

Large parts of the UK are actually fairly affordable, it's London and the SE that are particularly f**ked.