news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Didn't defend it, but don't let facts get in the way, I criticized Crazyfool's attitude to someone else watching it, he clearly wants it banned because he disagrees with the politics they promote, who made him the moderator of his workplace? Other people have the right to their opinions however much you may disagree with them. Think he is overstating his case here though,  if it was as racist and hateful as he claims I doubt it would be on air. He can always complain to Ofcom if he thinks they have gone too far. (he will have to actually watch it to do that though!)

Moderator of my workplace ? Think this has been taken to extreme here , I don’t want hateful content on a tv where we have a multiracial workforce … just like I’d not want racism here . Have a look at the list of advertisers that have removed adverts from that channel because it’s doesn’t meet their beliefs . There’s huge numbers of complaints gone to ofcom . I’ve seen enough through my twitter feed to make informed decision . My attitude isn’t someone else can’t watch it … he can do as he pleases on his personal mobile but it’s not appropriate because of our policy’s that very much differ from that channel 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I would consider myself left wing, but at times worry about some of the cancel culture/no platforming that seems to have crept into left wing politics in recent years.

I don’t have a huge issue with GB News and choose to ignore it most of the time. I have seen a few clips where they have had a token lefty going against the presenter and 2 guests and have generally been impressed with how they have argued as a minority.

I work a lot with young students and am amazed how intelligent, curious and analytical they are. I worry about the idea of sheltering from people who disagree. I want them to hear arguments they disagree and challenge them. 

Don't fall prey to the right wing culture wars that presents everything as part of some woke battle to get everything cancelled - much of it is bollox to stir up support. 

Those clips you've seen are not representative of much of their content, which doesn't represent a range of views, hence the repeated complaints to Ofcom for breaching impartiality. 

https://news.sky.com/story/ofcom-launches-four-new-investigations-into-gb-news-programmes-over-due-impartiality-12935572

This only happened after John Nicholson held the Ofcom chief's feet to the fire in a parliamentary committee 

They have previously had other complaints upheld for various other reasons

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2023/ofcom-finds-the-mark-steyn-programme-on-gb-news-in-breach-of-broadcasting-rules

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2023/ofcom-finds-gb-news-in-breach-of-broadcasting-rules-for-a-second-time

I believe that presenter left in a huff when the channel tried to make him pay the fine. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Moderator of my workplace ? Think this has been taken to extreme here , I don’t want hateful content on a tv where we have a multiracial workforce … just like I’d not want racism here . Have a look at the list of advertisers that have removed adverts from that channel because it’s doesn’t meet their beliefs . There’s huge numbers of complaints gone to ofcom . I’ve seen enough through my twitter feed to make informed decision . My attitude isn’t someone else can’t watch it … he can do as he pleases on his personal mobile but it’s not appropriate because of our policy’s that very much differ from that channel 

Have any of your multiracial colleagues complained? It's possible some of them may actually want to watch it (I'm not saying it's likely!) The point is, it is you that has the issue and want to prevent others seeing it, maybe you could have an in-store referendum?

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

pressure on the uk for slavery reparationshttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/22/uk-cannot-ignore-calls-for-slavery-reparations-says-leading-un-judge-patrick-robinson

next it'll be for empire reparations, and then we'll be really really skint.

We can just use the money the Norman’s, vikings and Romans give us.

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Have any of your multiracial colleagues complained? It's possible some of them may actually want to watch it (I'm not saying it's likely!) The point is, it is you that has the issue and want to prevent others seeing it, maybe you could have an in-store referendum?

One of my polish colleagues thanked me for turning it off the other day . Racism isn’t acceptable full stop it shouldn’t be on quite simple as it breaks our policy’s as I’ve said on a few occasions . 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Don't fall prey to the right wing culture wars that presents everything as part of some woke battle to get everything cancelled - much of it is bollox to stir up support. 

I have heard lefty students openly talking about trying to cancel people . I think it’s the wrong approach, you disagree with someone’s views on immigration, trans rights etc then challenge them. I want the left wing politicians to gain experience doing this from a young age, not being kept away from opposition views.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have heard lefty students openly talking about trying to cancel people . I think it’s the wrong approach, you disagree with someone’s views on immigration, trans rights etc then challenge them. I want the left wing politicians to gain experience doing this from a young age, not being kept away from opposition views.

But this is a "news" channel... preaching bollocks to the great unwashed voting public. The internet is full of it, but keep them off the airwaves ffs...it will be climate denial is the thing next, and the Tories look set to get on board. But no, let them have their say with their conspiracies about whatever is easiest to blame, mustn't cancel anyone for anything, bloody swampy globalist lizards.

full list of companies removing advertising from GB news .... id imagine they have HR policies similar to those of my workplace ... very difficult for those places to say its acceptable in their work canteens now they've made statements similar to this 

https://pressgazette.co.uk/news/gb-news-advertisers/

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

But this is a "news" channel... preaching bollocks to the great unwashed voting public. The internet is full of it, but keep them off the airwaves ffs...it will be climate denial is the thing next, and the Tories look set to get on board. But no, let them have their say with their conspiracies about whatever is easiest to blame, mustn't cancel anyone for anything, bloody swampy globalist lizards.

Do you think getting rid of it makes the conspiracy theories go away, I think it just sends them to a different platform. I think they are preaching to the converted more than brainwashing people.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Do you think getting rid of it makes the conspiracy theories go away, I think it just sends them to a different platform. I think they are preaching to the converted more than brainwashing people.

Eliminate as much as possible. Don't stick them on a Freeview channel and call it news.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The stop advertising campaigns are just another form of cancel culture.  Nothing new really.  

Interestingly that article is from 2021 and lots of the companies talk of suspending rather than stopping altogther.  I wonder who currently advertises on the platform.  Clearly they have enough revenue to keep going.

none of them are advertising now .... probably not worth the bad publicity of advertising on there .... wonder why that might be ? damn cancel culture 

All very well calling it free speech and we should just have a good honest debate but some voices in that debate are louder than others and they are always those on the extremes who have simple answers to complex problems especially during hard times and people are so malleable and well, stupid. 

Edited by steviewevie

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well its a simple set play of cancel culture.

GB News is clearly the news arm of the right and you lefties want it gone.  So you try starve off its revenue source to kill it.  You make up stories about it being racist and create a toxic environment.  You shout loudly and make your voices greater than your numbers and try to bounce advertisers into positions where its not worth advertising on the channel.

None of is based in fact and reality must the time but it is an effective attack line.  Its easy to show its not based in fact because, for example, when I challenge people like you to show me the facts you crumble into throwing your toys out the pram.

But it works...  Saying that, clearly not well enough as they are still going and still have adverts.

Make up stories there's 100s of complaints , and yep ofcom aren't currently investigating the Racism aspect ? there's enough there to show its racist but you are choosing to ignore it ? companies chosing to remove advertising which you frame as cancel culture ... maybe just maybe they've decided its racist and they decided that its probably best they don't support a racist tv channel ? Toys out the pram ? where have you made that assumption from ? 

Edited by Crazyfool01