news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 hours ago, cellar said:

I already said what I know (or think) to be the case, which is that there was a lot of stuff going on in that thread from all angles. It was a pretty rubbish time for a lot of people, so it's understandable. Seemed like a place a lot of people went to vent, or find comfort.

Your definition of troll isn't what I would define as a troll, but I guess we don't need to play semantics. My biggest problem with all of this is that people in this thread (you included) have attacked him for making personal attacks, whilst personally attacking him yourself. 

Honestly it just seems like people are holding onto a grudge - just let it go! You don't actually even know the guy! 

No, and he does not know any of us but that is not taken into account in your replies - perhaps you do know him!

As for the other thread, if you really had read it all you would not have written what you did as you are defending what on many occasions was indefensible. The Fish Man was vile to many people, really vile.

Anyway, my time is pointless as you seem to prefer a nasty little troll fish to other people.

Bye

13 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

No, and he does not know any of us but that is not taken into account in your replies - perhaps you do know him!

As for the other thread, if you really had read it all you would not have written what you did as you are defending what on many occasions was indefensible. The Fish Man was vile to many people, really vile.

Anyway, my time is pointless as you seem to prefer a nasty little troll fish to other people.

Bye

I was just trying to say, you might be a bit happier if you didn't let someone online that you profess to not like very much get under your skin (and resort to the nastiness and hypocrisy you've resorted to).

I did read all of the other thread, and I did write what I wrote. You seem to like trying to tell me what I am thinking or what I have done, but I can assure you I know better than you when it comes to that.

I prefer to be able to have reasonable discussions with people in a politics thread, rather than have to be trying to explain to what I assume is a fully grown human adult how to behave nicely towards other people, but here we are.

You've just found out about that ignore function, maybe it's time to get some more mileage out of it?

13 hours ago, clarkete said:

Students these days come from all sorts of persuasions and political hues, but the law has very much been ensuring the rights of speakers, rather than vice versa.

What specifically did you hear them want to change?

The  law has gone the opposite direction during the last few years and the government have specifically prevented universities from no platforming controversial speakers and ensuring their rights, yet Sunak was widely reported to have chosen this as one of the subjects he could get supporters to rally around in the run up to the next election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_Education_(Freedom_of_Speech)_Act_2023

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/jun/01/government-free-speech-tsar-named-arif-ahmed

I think the law has gone that way because of some ill advised moves from students on the left to stop speakers they disagree with. I don’t see the legislation as having much teeth and more of a culture war thing. I believe however the left should be leading on this issue and relishing the opportunity to take on those with opposing views.

16 hours ago, lost said:

I see GB news as something following the "activist" you-tube channels. Something like say Novara media on the left or lotuseaters on the right. That probably showed there is enough viewership for these things to sustain a full tv channel.  

It's difficult to argue if they are allowed somewhere like youtube why they can't distribute their media in other ways.

I actually think the left getting triggered by GBNews on social media actually has the opposite effect by raising their profile and allowing them to build an image as an anti left crusader. The day the likes of Wooton, Lawrence Fox, Calvin Robinson will feel beaten is the day people just ignore them.

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I actually think the left getting triggered by GBNews on social media actually has the opposite effect by raising their profile and allowing them to build an image as an anti left crusader. The day the likes of Wooton, Lawrence Fox, Calvin Robinson will feel beaten is the day people just ignore them.

Bit hard to ignore if on in the work canteen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Bit hard to ignore if on in the work canteen.

I was talking more about people getting triggered on social media where they are in my view just taking the bait set. I remember in the past people getting massively triggered by Katie Hopkins and falling for the bait.

If I went into a pub with GB News on I don’t think I would leave in principle. I would like to say I would ignore, but the part of me that likes to disagree would probably make me listen!

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

.one selling bacon butties 

What if the Jewish workers want to go in the non-woke because Corbyn's on the telly in the woke one? 😃

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I was talking more about people getting triggered on social media where they are in my view just taking the bait set. I remember in the past people getting massively triggered by Katie Hopkins and falling for the bait.

If I went into a pub with GB News on I don’t think I would leave in principle. I would like to say I would ignore, but the part of me that likes to disagree would probably make me listen!

It's why I have that fish bloke on ignore.

59 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

...and anyway, it isn't just baiting snowflake liberals for the lols...they also embolden many people who secretly hold bigoted prejudiced views and so they feel confident to get out there and call a spade a spade or whatever...and so it spreads...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

You clearly don't.  Otherwise 99% of your posts over the last week wouldn't have been about me rather than the topics up for discussion.  You need to stop disrupting this thread.  Discuss the points or leave.

haha from what I've read this thread should be renamed 'The Barry Fish thread' as you are so prolific.

28 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

TOP POSTERS IN THIS TOPIC

steviewevie10,106 posts

Barry Fish2,399 posts

Ozanne5,620 posts

I guess we shouldn't let the facts get in the way...

That's over the past 2.5 years.  

Over the past 10 pages or so, you are the disruptor Barry Fish.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

anyway...here's something from Sam Freedman about what faces Labour (if they win)..

maybe they can get a few billion back from all the tory scandals .... mone etc , obviously some EU stuff think I saw that the annual loss was 100 billion ? so much for the bus promise 

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

India is on the moon. Take that Vlad.

can't figure this obsession with space exploration .... we need to learn to look after our own planet , its not like we will be jumping planets once this one is destroyed ... although they've done some useful experiments in Space haven't they ? 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

can't figure this obsession with space exploration .... we need to learn to look after our own planet , its not like we will be jumping planets once this one is destroyed ... although they've done some useful experiments in Space haven't they ? 

resources to exploit in the future? First stages in humans colonising the solar system, then galazy, then the universe unless the evil aliens zap us or something? Willy waving?

26 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

We definitely want to be able to learn to live on, say, Mars at some point. And I imagine any research into how that might happen would have benefits for how we live on earth (being able to produce food in harsh environments, being able to protect humans from say, really hot environments).

I remember reading as well that spending on space isn't as much as you might think as a proportion of a country's overall spending budget.