news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, steviewevie said:

so how do they come in?

Seems to be temp visas (students etc..) I think Bangladesh and Pakistan are not listed as safe countries but India is. Hence probably more difficult for Indians.

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

i think its better for labour if the problem can be pinned to  owned-by and dealt with by the tories.

need to speed up clearing that legacy backlog...sunak pledged to clear it by end of this year I think...so if he's going to stick to that then they will probably have to fast track a load from some of the more unstable countries.

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

need to speed up clearing that legacy backlog...sunak pledged to clear it by end of this year I think...so if he's going to stick to that then they will probably have fast track a load from some of the more unstable countries.

It’s pretty easy to clear up the backlog. The Tories chose not to do it because they feels it’s beneficial for them politically. They are wrong. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s pretty easy to clear up the backlog. The Tories chose not to do it because they feels it’s beneficial for them politically. They are wrong. 

strikes me as fairly simple .... employ people to clear it .... might take a bit of time with training etc but yep its totally achievable and once done can be shown as a win for Labour 

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

strikes me as fairly simple .... employ people to clear it .... might take a bit of time with training etc but yep its totally achievable and once done can be shown as a win for Labour 

Yeah pretty much. The French have even said they would accept a processing centre in France to process claims but we don’t take them up on that. 

25 minutes ago, lost said:

Yeah look at those Bengali's, 100% not needing to come across by boat.

A big part of my it will be how easy it is to travel with papers so can get on a plane, guess there's plenty from that part of the world who can get visas to visit family.

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Agree entirely and as time goes on and more pledges are reversed, the more apathetic I become about Labour/politics in general. There is also no real point at this stage of pointing out the policies Labour has suggested as, given Starmer's track record, there is absolutely no guarantee that it will make the manifesto. In fact, the opposite is more likely.

Yeah it's pretty hard to get excited about anything good left cause there is no guarantee it'll even make it to the manifesto or let alone be implemented in gov. It is U turn after U turn unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

it will be a vote for a new government with more political energy and competency (hopefully) rather than voting for a political vision that excites me. 

This is where I am too plus Wes Streeting seems to have some ideas for the NHS which may work and at worst cant make things any worse.

53 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s definitely doable but the Tories know it will sour their voting base which is why they do everything possible to make it difficult. 

Once we get to the election cycle after next you know the Tories will be leading their campaign with more immigration under Labour than with them and the knuckle dragging Tory voters will lap it up. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

23 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I am going to vote Labour regardless.  But it will be a vote for a new government with more political energy and competency (hopefully) rather than voting for a political vision that excites me. 

Yeah me too, I’m not sure what consistuency I’ll be in by then but it’ll be somewhere in glasgow they have a good shot of winning. Also added bonus of unseating an snp mp 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s definitely doable but the Tories know it will sour their voting base which is why they do everything possible to make it difficult. 

Once we get to the election cycle after next you know the Tories will be leading their campaign with more immigration under Labour than with them and the knuckle dragging Tory voters will lap it up. 

The ongoing boats are souring their voter base pretty badly 

Discussed at length in one of the freakonomics books I think. The party people think are going to win always raises the most money.

There's basically no point giving big sums to a party in opposition as they can't do anything for you in return.

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Absolutely no doubt that Labour are going to win next year, I just hope they don't squander their chance when they actually get in.

same as '98 they'll win big but be restrained in what they do there's no point wasting political capital and energy trying to do the impossible or difficult, stick to where they can make a guaranteed and quick difference so people feel the benefit.

Whats f**king astounding is that there has never been a left wing government in the uk and despite the fact that you live in a shithole thats going even further down the tubes fast some f**king how you think more of the same is the solution and that left wing politics is to blame. You morons.

IMG_0650.gif

22 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

All is for the worst, in the worst of all possible worlds.

There is simply no time left for the next election to be a dogfight between dumb and dumber.

The UK is at its lowest ebb. You f**king stupid c**ts deserve everything you get.

hey steady we don't have PR so there is no alternative ..... who are you referring to ?