news & politics:discussion

zahidf

heard on the radio earlier  that the hospital (frimley park hospital, in Camberley surrey, gove's constituency) my son was born in and that my mum died in last year has a bad concrete problem.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

heard on the radio earlier  that the hospital (frimley park hospital, in Camberley surrey, gove's constituency) my son was born in and that my mum died in last year has a bad concrete problem.

just googled, and seen its scheduled for a rebuild anyway. its the roof tat the dodgy concrete.

13 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I saw something recently that showed millennials (I think) are the first generation that aren’t going to the right as they get older. So whilst you are correct for every generation before, it seems like the younger ones aren’t doing that. 

I see things like this and I’m not sure how much they really want to help the younger generations. 

As I said earlier to steviewevie, give them time. They are still young. Moves to the right start in the late 30's and 40's. Millenials (1995 to 2010 I think) are not there yet so the survey does not surprise me.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Just checked and as i suspected you are wrong.  Claims where brought in 2012 by people who left between 2004 and 2008 in regards to work carried out before that when it was firmly labour run.

Who f**ked it up depends on who implemented the unequal pay.

11 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Lots of people don't realise they create quite  a lot of noise.  The edge of the blades creating a whooshing sound amongst others.  Its around 40db.  Which is like sitting next to a noisy fridge.

Not all the complaints are without substance.  You might regret it if they built one near your home.

So less noisy that the fan of  a heat pump then.

9 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I used to live near train line.  Liverpool to Manchester line.  Three / four trains an hour or so.  

You right you stop noticing it but I think thats a bit different to whoosh, whoosh, whoosh every could of seconds.  

I live near wind turbines.

They are far quieter than a car driving along a road in front of them.

I also walk in hills with hundreds of turbines. You really cannot hear them above the noise of the wind and on a still quiet day without wind they do not turn.

There really is no problem with the noise - unless you want there to be.

Wind farm noise easily spreads over a mile.  Its not the same thing.

How Loud Is A Wind Turbine? : r/environment

Unless I am reading it wrong that graph does not show the distance other noises travel - a lawnmove sound travels a long way.
We can hear lawnmowers in the next village which is further than the turbines whohc we cannot hear.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Wind farm noise easily spreads over a mile.  Its not the same thing.

How Loud Is A Wind Turbine? : r/environment

Do you just disagree with everything? I mean I said it wouldn’t bother me … and you told me it would , like I’m unable to know what I think …. On the other matter it was an article on twitter I will attempt to track down but can’t find at the mo as I’m not sure I can find a twitter search history on my phone . 

• Upvote 2

Noise and sensitivity to it is very personal.  What bugs one doesn't bother another.

My wife dreads going to a hotel with me as things like ticking extractor fans and so on stop me sleeping where as a nuclear was could happen and she would sleep right through 😛 

Yep I get that, the ticking of a clock drives me nuts.

That aside we are talking overall and wind turbines in a sea of human noise really are so quiet and as I said, when going as fast as they can, so as noisy as they can be, that is drowned out by the noise of the wind itself.

Honestly, living near them you really cannot hear them however hard you try - and I have tried so I can have discussions like this.

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As I said earlier to steviewevie, give them time. They are still young. Moves to the right start in the late 30's and 40's. Millenials (1995 to 2010 I think) are not there yet so the survey does not surprise me.

oldest millenials are in their 40s now. Still living with their boomer parents.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Ticking clocks....  They aren't allowed here 🙂 

You have lost me on that one.

One thing I have learned over my many years, and had reinforced recently, is that there are lots of people who will not want something cos of how the perceive it will affect them based on very little, often as little as a simple news headline.

One person I spoke to last year was really against electricity pylons, he said they were awful and would ruin the views of the Welsh Hills as he pointed at said hills.................................... I politely pointed out to him that there were already pylons there and had been for longer than he had been alive.

His face was a picture as I showed him where they were and that he obviously could not see them and the obviously did not ruin the views of the Welsh Hills.

He still has a sign outside his house saying 'No to Pylons' though.................. all cos he thinks they will ruin a view that already has them in it.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I wasn't replying to you ? 

Maybe time to moderate yourself!  Creating unnecessary drama...

Hmm I wonder who posted saying it wouldn’t bother them that prompted the responses … maybe that was me ?! Although I guess you will disagree with this just to prompt discussion/ be contrary 

You was saying you don't like ticking clocks - was agreeing.

I don't disagree with this.  People creating their own issues sometimes.

Ah, I thought there must have been some discussion about it on here in the past............................

and yes, people do create their own issues...................................... and I will stop laughing one day at a comment like that on a forum like this (not pointing fingers).

I remember reading at the last election the cut off age when you were more likely to vote Tory vs labour was 38. I'd expect that to increase at the next election though as Starmer will probably do better than Corbyn.

So laughing gas to be criminalised. Another pointless step in trying to further the war on drugs with no actual reason behind it.

The Tories seem to think that telling people not to do something will work? Without any plan for enforcement.

Just absolute nonsense used to placate the middle classes over what is effectively a littering problem - ie. fund more bins and quicker emptying - with the occasional bonus to them of an extra chance for unequal policing and a chance to criminalise the poor more.

So stupid.

4 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

So laughing gas to be criminalised. Another pointless step in trying to further the war on drugs with no actual reason behind it.

The Tories seem to think that telling people not to do something will work? Without any plan for enforcement.

Just absolute nonsense used to placate the middle classes over what is effectively a littering problem - ie. fund more bins and quicker emptying - with the occasional bonus to them of an extra chance for unequal policing and a chance to criminalise the poor more.

So stupid.

I do think something needs to be done about it though.  I think the perception of it is that its harmless, but I unfortunately know of someone who died from too much of the stuff.

It seems like a blunt way to drive home the point, what is it, 2 years in prison? That seems ridiculous. Maybe some sort of information campaign would be better.

10 minutes ago, cellar said:

I do think something needs to be done about it though.  I think the perception of it is that its harmless, but I unfortunately know of someone who died from too much of the stuff.

It seems like a blunt way to drive home the point, what is it, 2 years in prison? That seems ridiculous. Maybe some sort of information campaign would be better.

Cool, are we going to criminalise alcohol?

The NOS legality issue is a bit of a joke. How can you decide that the two most abundant elements in our atmosphere are now illegal when combined into a compound of different proportions than the air we currently breathe. 

The main issue here is of course the littering problem. I’d certainly welcome higher fines for littering and crack down on the sale and possession of the tiny gas canisters. 

Like with the disposable vape issue it’s definitely more of an environmental issue than one of health. So much needless waste. 

28 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I dont know much about laughing gas but apparently....

“The dangers of inhaling nitrous oxide are significant and parents need to know it can kill. It can cause heart problems, suffocation and nerve damage. It slows down your brain and can give you hallucinations, severe headaches and feelings of paranoia. If you take too much, it can also lead to paralysis."

Let’s see the stats to back up those claims then? As far as I know, it’s approx one death per year from around a million users. 

But… it’s a good headline for Tory voters who don’t have a clue. 

Meanwhile everyone carries on smoking and drinking? Bonkers.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The main issue here is of course the littering problem. I’d certainly welcome higher fines for littering and crack down on the sale and possession of the tiny gas canisters. 

Like with the disposable vape issue it’s definitely more of an environmental issue than one of health. So much needless waste. 

I don’t partake but from what I saw this year at various festivals, single dose metal containers are being replaced with multiple dose cans and containers, which is much better.

13 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The NOS legality issue is a bit of a joke. How can you decide that the two most abundant elements in our atmosphere are now illegal when combined into a compound of different proportions than the air we currently breathe. 

Littering is less of a problem if there's extensive public bins and regular collections. Also if there's not the judgement that then pressures kids to sneak doing it behind corners and out of sight.

A littering ban generally, sure, but I think it'd be better to treat the tiny canisters as one thing within a more general litter issue, as opposed to finding another way for the police to target specific groups when they feel like it.