news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

So have plenty of young people. They don’t get 200k in 11 years house price rises and gold plated pensions like ur generation tho 

how long has the state pension(a long way off for me), been gold plated. And young people don't get to live in the same sh*t housing as my generation.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

And young people don't get to live in the same sh*t housing as my generation.

not entirely true, my twin nieces now aged about 30) and their parents lived in the worst flat i've ever seen (seen a lot of rough squats) a council flat on faringdon road in London,  i didn't think it was a safe place to bring up young kid.

so some young people did get to live in the real sh*t places.

Edited by Neil

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They don’t get 200k in 11 years house price rises and gold plated pensions like ur generation tho 

my parents generation did waaaay better on houses, buying for £2k and selling at £30-ish, my parents started with a £2k house and traded up over the years to one that sold for £440k.

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

how long has the state pension(a long way off for me), been gold plated. And young people don't get to live in the same sh*t housing as my generation.

I was referring to more generous final salary pensions at work which boomers got which no one young is gonna get.

Also the triple lock means that pensioners are getting pretty substantial raises and also any public sector pensions are linked to inflation too while working people get below inflation pay rises.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

my parents generation did waaaay better on houses, buying for £2k and selling at £30-ish, my parents started with a £2k house and traded up over the years to one that sold for £440k.

Yeah probs but boomers did well as did Gen X. Since then... not so much. 

16 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I was referring to more generous final salary pensions at work which boomers got which no one young is gonna get.

not my generation.cos i don't have any private pension.

18 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah probs but boomers did well as did Gen X.

only if they got on the right train....

18 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Since then... not so much. 

there's still trains leaving the station.

15 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

you're going to have to explain this metaphor so I am clear what you are saying

Not everyone of a specific generation got rich from housing only those who made the right choices there's still opportunities available for younger people if they take up the opportunities.

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

Not everyone of a specific generation got rich from housing only those who made the right choices

Never said everyone, how many times do i have to say I am talking in general terms. 

The right choice= buy any home and watch it increase in value every year due to pure luck 

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

there's still opportunities available for younger people if they take up the opportunities.

way fewer

"Opportunities" a word used by Conservative government to say that if you did not get an improvement in your life it is not their fault................ because there were opportunities. It was one of Johnson's go to words to pass the buck and Sunak is now using it more and more.

An opportunity is only that if it is viable, most of the opportunities are not viable for most people.

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

"Opportunities" a word used by Conservative government to say that if you did not get an improvement in your life it is not their fault................ because there were opportunities. It was one of Johnson's go to words to pass the buck and Sunak is now using it more and more.

An opportunity is only that if it is viable, most of the opportunities are not viable for most people.

yeah i agree

obviously no matter how bad the gov or the situation, some people are always gonna be successful, doesn't mean the gov or situation helped them. Maybe they achieved things in spite of that not because of it.

32 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Never said everyone, how many times do i have to say I am talking in general terms. 

The right choice= buy any home and watch it increase in value every year due to pure luck 

It was Only later that buying became a guaranteed win  so it was a risk 

32 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

way fewer

True, I'm not trying to suggest that this is the land of opportunity. But its not devoid of them . Doesn't work if you let them pass you by.

31 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Again, you're just looking at housing as an asset which will inflate in value. Not an actual home to live.

no, i'm not, we were talking about how much they've inflated.

31 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

In the 90s or whatever you needed to borrow way, way less to get a nice home. Thus, less risk.

the risk is repossession. and repossessions were at record numbers.

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Housing should be a right for everybody not a 'guaranteed win' for some.

true, and the first step of that journey is having enough of the right kinds of residential unit, in the right places.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but in many other aspects life is so much better for younger people, especially the non white male variety.

too true the 70s and 80s were fun but grim, with a lot of everyday casual violence mostly from tribalism of different kinds, football, music, race, class, etc.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I know house prices are ridiculous and and it's now impossible for many young people to even think of buying, but in many other aspects life is so much better for younger people, especially the non white straight male variety.

that sounds like a labour add 🙂 

After the best part of a week with out painkillers, my wife shouted at the doctor's to get my repeat prescription approved. So I now have painkillers and it's lovely . Just wish the doc would approve the Meds without the drama so I can have a more comfortable life. It's not like the Doc is slow Cos she's busy seeing patients. I don't even get to see the Doc for my yearly serious illness review- when they contact me to ask to see me.