news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If you get banned for sarcasm then I am screwed

For some reason that poster has a thing about me, no idea why. I’ve had him on ignore for years now yet he apparently still responds to my post. It’s pretty weird. 

25 minutes ago, chris_nre said:

What are the odds that Rishi, his wife, or the extended family have a significant stake invested in oil/gas companies. 

I don’t know if it’s Sunak exactly but the fossil fuel industry definitely has links to the Tory party as a whole

Just now, Neil said:

It's because he's strongly connected to the biggest Indian business.

But it is possible he's simply doing it because he believes we need some oil for things like plastics, fertilizers, air travel going forward. Just seems unfair he's got to constantly justify himself as acting in the interests of the country more than others.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

But it is possible he's simply doing it because he believes we need some oil for things like plastics, fertilizers, air travel going forward. Just seems unfair he's got to constantly justify himself as acting in the interests of the country more than others.

what's that got to do with offshore wind?

7 minutes ago, lost said:

Yes, yes of course Sunak has famously been a supporter of fertilisers. You can’t go a day without seeing him without his favourite brand. 

7 minutes ago, lost said:

First speech … I will provide honesty and integrity at every level … sunak … he’s providing none of those and he’s supposed to set the example as leader of his party and PM 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

what's that got to do with offshore wind?

Well he's had the constant suggestions over oil and gas licenses hasn't he? I didn't mention it the first time but as I said its starting to feel a bit uncomfortable.

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Well he's had the constant suggestions over oil and gas licenses hasn't he? I didn't mention it the first time but as I said its starting to feel a bit uncomfortable.

Would have been the same response for any of them … he’s not singled out in any way 

Just now, steviewevie said:

Ok...so we should get off his back about the offshore wind fail because he's just trying to do his best for the oil industry because we need it? That it?

Bacially yes he disagrees with you about what's best for this country rather than he's a dodgy Indian plant.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

a dodgy Indian plant?

Ok. So you are implying he purposely failed with this offshore wind auction, because he believes wind is bollocks and oil rocks?

No I believe he believes what the polling says which is people wont accept a drop in living standards for any transition hence he's doing it at a pace the public is comfortable with.

Edited by lost

Just now, lost said:

No I believe he believes what the polling says which is people wont accept a drop in living standards for any transition hence he's doing it at a pace the public is comfortable with.

I believe that he doesn't know what the f**k he's doing and needs to go asap.

Sunak just doesn't see net zero or climate as a priority. He's a sh*t right wing PM and he needs to f**k the f**k off to silicon valley where he can do his nerdtalk to all the tech bros.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

He's a sh*t right wing PM 

As far as I can see the left seems to be split on alot of this stuff as well:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/labour-sharon-graham-north-sea-dale-vince-ecotricity-b2348881.html

But yes thats much better to say he's doing it because he's right wing.

Edited by lost

22 minutes ago, lost said:

As far as I can see the left seems to be split on alot of this stuff as well:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/labour-sharon-graham-north-sea-dale-vince-ecotricity-b2348881.html

But yes thats much better to say he's doing it because he's right wing.

Whatabouttery at its finest.

I think it’s pretty clear Sunak doesn’t care much for climate issues and as it’s a well known fact that the fossil fuel industry donate to Tory MPs then it’s a fair assessment to claim his policies have them in mind. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Whatabouttery at its finest.

I think it’s pretty clear Sunak doesn’t care much for climate issues and as it’s a well known fact that the fossil fuel industry donate to Tory MPs then it’s a fair assessment to claim his policies have them in mind. 

Straw man at it finest. I didn't object to anything saying the fossil fuel industry donate to Tory MPs

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Where’s the post you object to … excuse the pun … I’m lost 

The stuff about Rishi's father in law. That he's been compromised by marrying into that family. Its been brought up a few times here and its all over the internet. He's really Indian not British has their interests at heart etc..

Edited by lost

21 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

What is wrong with people?

This isn't a game, we're on the edge of a possible extinction and no one is interested in doing anything about it.

As for the N. Sea gas and oil workers, surely they have skills transferable to renewables.

There is a lot of interest in geoengineering and many think that will come to the rescue 

4 minutes ago, lost said:

The stuff about Rishi's father in law. That he's been compromised by marrying into that family. Its been brought up a few times here and its all over the internet. He's really Indian not British has their interests at heart etc..

It’s a post in response to him having financial interests elsewhere ? Which is a conflict of interests ? And is the same with other govt ministers which has been discussed at other points on this thread 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s a post in response to him having financial interests elsewhere ? Which is a conflict of interests ? And is the same with other govt ministers which has been discussed at other points on this thread 

About his father in law. Put it this way. Stephen Kinnock is married to the former PM of Denmark. Every time he votes a way people don't like I'm looking forward to him being accused of doing it because he's in the pocket of Denmark. I don't think he will be though.