news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

There is a lot of interest in geoengineering and many think that will come to the rescue 

The only way we can stop this is some way of reversing things . We are already in deep sh*t …. Greece lost a significant part of its agricultural land . These people need to eat . Hong Kong massive deluges of rain and we are barely started 

1 minute ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

There is a lot of interest in geoengineering and many think that will come to the rescue 

Doesn't surprise me.

A vain attempt to remain living in luxury which IMO is not actually going to have the required effect.

What's wrong with changing how we live, i.e. more sustainable with less useless crap.

People would be surprised how much nicer, healthier and less stressful life would be.

Just now, lost said:

About his father in law. Put it this way. Stephen Kinnock is married to the former PM of Denmark. Every time he votes a way people don't like I'm looking forward to him being accused of doing it because he's in the pocket of Denmark. I don't think he will be though.

The PM will always come under the most scruitiny in this thread … Boris before him … and his family also had mentions . 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The only way we can stop this is some way of reversing things . We are already in deep sh*t …. Greece lost a significant part of its agricultural land . These people need to eat . Hong Kong massive deluges of rain and we are barely started 

Half of the world’s habitable land is used for agriculture. More than three-quarters of this is used for livestock production, despite meat and dairy making up a much smaller share of the world’s protein and calorie supply.

There's a massive part of the problem, yet people "can't" give up meat  (apparently)

https://ourworldindata.org/global-land-for-agriculture

Edited by Skip997

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Doesn't surprise me.

A vain attempt to remain living in luxury which IMO is not actually going to have the required effect.

What's wrong with changing how we live, i.e. more sustainable with less useless crap.

People would be surprised how much nicer, healthier and less stressful life would be.

Should we get rid of all passenger planes? No more touring artists going round the world or to glasto 

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Should we get rid of all passenger planes? No more touring artists going round the world or to glasto 

Definately a reduction in holidays needed … however a massive change needed in private flights they are far worse for pollution’s but that’s going to need the wealthy to commit 

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There's a massive part of the problem, yet people "can't" give up meat  (apparently)

https://ourworldindata.org/global-land-for-agriculture

Guilty as charged … my defence I’ve no kids so my impact through sprogs doesn’t exist … and I rarely take foreign holidays 

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The industry thinks is could well transition to Hydrogen in a decade as long as governments back them.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

To say I am sceptical about that would be an understatement. A decade?! come on

The transition to hydrogen has been talked about for decades and will be talked about for decades to come.

The only way we have out of this is to start living more sustainable lives and stop trying to retain our luxury through the use of inappropriate technologies.

Meanwhile:

Tackling climate change needs a rapid transformation of the way our world works, travels, eats and uses energy, according to an important UN review.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66753909

26 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The PM will always come under the most scrutiny in this thread … Boris before him … and his family also had mentions . 

I'm happy for scrutiny but if there isn't any evidence? Starmers probably going to be PM (not here) elsewhere, a popular comment along the same theme seems to be Starmer wont stand up to Israel because his wife is Jewish. Again these sorts of comments make me uncomfortable.

48 minutes ago, lost said:

Straw man at it finest. I didn't object to anything saying the fossil fuel industry donate to Tory MPs

You’re the one that’s created a straw man argument here, you’ve made something up. 

I think we should limit the amount people can fly in a calendar year. The climate crises is massive and we will have to take big steps at some point. People jetting all round the world might have to rein that in but that’s not gonna be popular. 

31 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think we should limit the amount people can fly in a calendar year. The climate crises is massive and we will have to take big steps at some point. People jetting all round the world might have to rein that in but that’s not gonna be popular. 

There's loads we need to do ASAP that won't be popular.

There is an interesting report you can download here 

https://ukfires.org/impact/publications/reports/absolute-zero/

It discusses what the UK needs to do to meet net zero by 2050. One of the things is does mention is that all airports bar 3 should be closed immediately and that they should be closed by 2030. Airtravel should only commence once there are sustainable fuel.

Another thing is that shipping should be reduced and ships run on nuclear

58 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

To say I am sceptical about that would be an understatement. A decade?! come on

Go argue with Airbus, I would like to think they know what they are talking about and the change really isn't that much. It has already been done on smaller planes (12 seater) with almost no changes in structure and the industry sees no reason why this cannot be scaled up.