news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Given the politicians have no idea what Brexit is, was, should be and never did as it is an 'individual thing' I doubt many really knew much about what they were voting for and just selected a thing or three from the pile of headlines about what would be great and voted on those as it matched their view.

If only those that called the referendum knew what it was and had a plan for if we voted for it!

Cest La Vie

You could argue that being out of the EU could make us more green, less reliant on imports of food/labour from abroad, more self sufficient, seasonal veg, fewer flights etc etc. In reality this means a lower standard of living, but maybe that's something we're just going to have to get used to, a sacrifice for the greater good haha as if etc.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The North East has one of the lowest numbers of immigrants - in some villages there are none - and yet up there they are very brexit loving and immigrant hating and often repeat the media quotes on there being no more room, we want our jobs back etc................................. and yet where they live it has made zero difference.

Friends in Newcaslte - one remain, one leave - even admit this.

I'm originally from Hull. When I left it was 98% white with the biggest non white community been Chinese at 750 out of a population of a quarter of a million. The government started placing kurdish refugees there which was deeply unpopular and later EU nationals located. Hull voted leave and according to friends it was based on the immigration card. 

When we moved to Manchester it was a massive culture shock for my kids I can tell you.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Henry Smith's bill would ban hunters from bringing body parts of endangered species, like tusks, to Great Britain.

It passed the House of Commons with support from MPs across the parties.

However, Mr Smith says a "very small minority" of peers are now using "parliamentary devices" to stop the bill passing in the House of Lords.

In order to become law, the bill would need to be approved by both the House of Commons and Lords before the end of the parliamentary session on 7 November.

If the bill fails to pass both houses, it will be abandoned and the process would have to start again in the new session.

Liberal Democrat Baroness Bakewell of Hardington Mandeville said some peers "of the landed gentry of the country, mostly hereditary" were "doing their utmost to filibuster and talk the bill out".

https://x.com/ChrisGPackham/status/1702001698821054651?s=20

meanwhile" trail hunting " continues ...... 

I was chatting to a girl on a dating site recently until I saw her profile contained the words love Animals and one of her pictures was of her dressed in hunting gear ....just a slight contradiction !! when I was at School I did work experience with the ministry of agriculture and one of the jobs we had was to go out and put down some hunting dogs ( beagles ) that had reached the end of their working lives ...how these people claim to like animals is truly beyond me and how this pursuit of the wealthy continues under a different guise is truly appalling 

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I was chatting to a girl on a dating site recently until I saw her profile contained the words love Animals and one of her pictures was of her dressed in hunting gear ....just a slight contradiction !! when I was at School I did work experience with the ministry of agriculture and one of the jobs we had was to go out and put down some hunting dogs ( beagles ) that had reached the end of their working lives ...how these people claim to like animals is truly beyond me and how this pursuit of the wealthy continues under a different guise is truly appalling 

trail hunting justifies the continuing existence of those hunting dogs who'd be put down otherwise..:P 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

i recently discovered that my cousin was elected as a UKIP councillor  and was then thrown out of UKIP for being too extreme.

(since finding that out i've been tolling him with anti-brexit and anti-farage stuff. 😛 )

Not really in touch with my extended family but I've got a few cousins I'd be surprised if they weren't considered too extreme for UKIP. 

Edited by philipsteak

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Not really in touch with my extended family but I've got a few cousins I'd be surprised if they weren't considered too extreme for UKIP. 

Too extreme in my cousin s case was rejecting farage in some sort of party split. I googled it to find out more Will give you a link if you're really interested.

14 hours ago, steviewevie said:

You could argue that being out of the EU could make us more green, less reliant on imports of food/labour from abroad, more self sufficient, seasonal veg, fewer flights etc etc. In reality this means a lower standard of living, but maybe that's something we're just going to have to get used to, a sacrifice for the greater good haha as if etc.

Indeed it cpould - all depends what is done with the control we took back................. at the moment we are heading in the wrong direction for anything good.

12 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

and the Tory party is full of people who want full on Fox Hunting back - c(H)unt even campaign to be leader with it as  a policy.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

But not rejoin he's ruled that out today.

Lefties can't complain cos benn and Corbyn were for out.

I will never stop complaining about Brexit.  It was the most monumentally f**king stupid idea, sold to people with lies and deceit or by activating their xenophobia.  Pretty much everyone realises that now and given the chance, would vote differently in a second referendum - but that would be undemocratic, apparently.

So we're stuck with it forever.

54 minutes ago, Neil said:

But not rejoin he's ruled that out today.

Lefties can't complain cos benn and Corbyn were for out.

That’s exactly why Labour has their stance that they do on Brexit. As soon as they announce a policy that brings us closer to the EU they have people/the Tories try to claim they’ll cancel Brexit. It epitomises why their stance is what it is.