news & politics:discussion

zahidf

42 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s exactly why Labour has their stance that they do on Brexit. As soon as they announce a policy that brings us closer to the EU they have people/the Tories try to claim they’ll cancel Brexit. It epitomises why their stance is what it is. 

its hardly deeply unpopular is it ? sometimes labour need to make some judgements that its the best way to go ... the polling shows that ... whatever they do will piss some off ... nows the time to take advantage of that poll lead , yeah they might lose the odd seat but are set for a stoking majority anyway 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its hardly deeply unpopular is it ? sometimes labour need to make some judgements that its the best way to go ... the polling shows that ... whatever they do will piss some off ... nows the time to take advantage of that poll lead , yeah they might lose the odd seat but are set for a stoking majority anyway 

don't think it will go down well in seats they need to win back from tories.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

don't think it will go down well in seats they need to win back from tories.

so when do they announce they want to take us back in ? or do they do it quietly step by step ? or do we wait for the country to be more screwed by it ? there obviously are people opposed to any form or rejoining ... they will grumble at any steps anyway and not vote labour ... in 4 years time or 8 or whatever it'll likely be the same people . 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

so when do they announce they want to take us back in ? or do they do it quietly step by step ? or do we wait for the country to be more screwed by it ? there obviously are people opposed to any form or rejoining ... they will grumble at any steps anyway and not vote labour ... in 4 years time or 8 or whatever it'll likely be the same people . 

Never

Sorry to say that but that is likely when Labour will do that. They, more than the Tories have to 'prove' Brexit works and they are happy to work with it.

The only way in the next 30 years we will get a chance to go back in (on far worse terms) will be a hung parliament with Lib Dems, Greens and SNP holding out for  areferendum - and even if we get one who is going to campaign to rejoin cos Labour mostly will not.

They really are that scared to even mention it.

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Rory Stewart the tory ? have you seen his voting record ? its hard to believe he appears like one of the better ones these days which is pretty appalling really 

It's amazing how many ex Tory MP's sound 'reasonable'.......................... and some who did and then became an MP again soon towed the party line and all reasonbableness was soon lost.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It's amazing how many ex Tory MP's sound 'reasonable'.......................... and some who did and then became an MP again soon towed the party line and all reasonbableness was soon lost.

I mean he's quite clearly not reasonable ( to me ) you can't vote like that and become reasonable .... 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean he's quite clearly not reasonable ( to me ) you can't vote like that and become reasonable .... 

I was saying when they are EX MP's - his voting record was when he was an MP................. so his voting record backs up what I said..... as an MP they are gots, once gone they SOUND 'reasonable'

25 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

step by step I guess but never actually rejoin...rule takers...

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Rory Stewart seems to like Labour’s plan  

reckon he'll soon be back as an mp to lead the tories, he'd walk a leadership contest now ireckon - sunak is toast and will be gone just after the election. so stewart needs to get back into parliament  to become leader.

(did you know that rory stewart's real name is actually "rod stewart") 😛 

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

reckon he'll soon be back as an mp to lead the tories, he'd walk a leadership contest now ireckon - sunak is toast and will be gone just after the election. so stewart needs to get back into parliament  to become leader.

Did he change his name to appear not as Tory as Rod ? 🙂 

31 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Don't forget that Boris won last election based on a 'getting Brexit done' manifesto pledge!

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Don't forget that Boris won last election based on a 'getting Brexit done' manifesto pledge!

rejoining seems a buit undemocratic, if its not done via a vote.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

rejoining seems a buit undemocratic, if its not done via a vote.

I doubt we'll re-join any time soon, possibly not in our lifetimes.  A few more old Brexiteers will have to die first. 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

and people have realised that getting Brexit done isn't quite what they imagined ? quite a few years on now 

The oven was broken. 

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

He really wouldn’t. Have you seen the Tory membership ?! 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

and people have realised that getting Brexit done isn't quite what they imagined ? quite a few years on now 

All the polls are on a simple question - stay out or rejoin - and around 18020% on average are undecided.

However, there are no polls that I know of that ask the same question and point out that if we rejoin we would:
1) Be required, eventually, to use the Euro (though there is no official timescale)
2) Pay more to be a member as all the rebates we got are long gone.
3) Negotiate an opt out of Schengen rules (not guaranteed)
4) Scrap/change lots of recent legislation to come i n lien with EU legislation which will likely cost quite a lot of money.

Even the mention of joining the Euro would put quite a lot off even though it has no timescales so we would likely never do it.

I wish it was simple and we could just be back in as we were - sadly it is not and as time goes on and laws are changed on both sides it will get ever more difficult.

15 minutes ago, stuie said:

I doubt we'll re-join any time soon, possibly not in our lifetimes.  A few more old Brexiteers will have to die first. 

When I studied environmental protection I had to do law as well which was mainly EU law. The lecturer was a real europhile and had worked in Brussels yet at the time he used to say that it would take the UK 50 years to embrace the EU. This was in 2000 so he was wrong but I wouldn't be surprised at a similar time frame to rejoin.