news & politics:discussion

zahidf

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

tories will try to play it, labour need to be careful to not walk into any traps.

That’s exactly my point. Labour seem to get that and are playing whole thing very carefully at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

That’s exactly my point. Labour seem to get that and are playing whole thing very carefully at the moment. 

a smart leader, and the splitters stamped on. 🙂 

13 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

So do you reckon he'll become left wing if he gets elected (or at least maybe Labour)?

i think opinions of him, need to be formed when considering everything he has to juggle to be sucessful , rather than the simplistic "he expelled the lefties"

Starmer has done what pretty much no one thought was possible and that's bring Labour to the brink of government, that is a massive achievement. If he wins a majority it will be an even bigger achievement, the likes of which we haven't really seen before.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Starmer has done what pretty much no one thought was possible and that's bring Labour to the brink of government, that is a massive achievement. If he wins a majority it will be an even bigger achievement, the likes of which we haven't really seen before.

kind of helped by sh*t show in government.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

only cause they had to after austerity then brexit then covid. Just takes us closer to other european countries.

Except those countries give far more i n public services - so we have the worst of all modals.

Low Service levels
High taxation

Someone out there is winning...... but it is not us.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

only cause they had to after austerity then brexit then covid. Just takes us closer to other european countries.

Even if that’s true, the national debt is nearly 3 x what it was and the rich poor divide is staggeringly bigger too. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

erm apart from me who predicted it ... 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Mostly helped by the sh*t show in government.

Before Johnson f**ked up it was neck and neck, then Tories 6 points behind....... then 20 behind..... then tRuss took over and it was 7 behind..... then she f**ked up and so on and so on.

It does not take much to change the polls. It really doesn't. Even Corbyn found that out in 2017.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You can only play who you are up against. Besides the deck is still stacked in favour of the Tories with the media on the side and them generally getting an easier from people.

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

erm apart from me who predicted it ... 

You didn't when Starmer took over.

Besides my point is that it's such a difficult task to get a majority from the dreadful state Corbyn left them in that if it happens it will be some feat.

and there will be more sh*t from this govt as we get closer things will get found out .... the Torys will get desperate and continue funding mates .... the amounts written off by them are incredible .... there's just so many scandals that surround them many don't even make the news 

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Except those countries give far more i n public services - so we have the worst of all modals.

Low Service levels
High taxation

Someone out there is winning...... but it is not us.

playing catch up. I think we need to get used to higher taxes despite what TB thinks...but they need to shift that tax burden more onto wealth.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You can only play who you are up against. Besides the deck is still stacked in favour of the Tories with the media on the side and them generally getting an easier from people.

You didn't when Starmer took over.

Besides my point is that it's such a difficult task to get a majority from the dreadful state Corbyn left them in that if it happens it will be some feat.

hopefully at some point the media become less of a factor , with decline in newspapers .... don't know if that translates to online reading but a world minus Murdoch will definitely be better 

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Mostly helped by the sh*t show in government.

Before Johnson f**ked up it was neck and neck, then Tories 6 points behind....... then 20 behind..... then tRuss took over and it was 7 behind..... then she f**ked up and so on and so on.

It does not take much to change the polls. It really doesn't. Even Corbyn found that out in 2017.

yeah, Truss was the nail in the coffin. If they had stuck with Johnson or gone for Sunak maybe polls would be closer.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, Truss was the nail in the coffin. If they had stuck with Johnson or gone for Sunak maybe polls would be closer.

If going up against a poor opponent was all it took then Corbyn should've won the 2017 GE. It goes to show that the leader themselves actually has to put the party in a good position as well.

talking on news how the strikes have f**ked sunak's pledge to bring down nhs waiting lists....and also GDP drop was blamed on strikes (and sh*t weather)....and Labour now want to strengthen trade union powers...so that will be another tory attack line.

yeah saw that being a big thing .... wonder how he could sort it out ? Almost like its his job 

Edited by Crazyfool01

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

@Crazyfool01 talking of waiting lists...my wait for a hernia op is only just over a month...outsourced to a private hospital...so there. (I actually need to move it though).

ha I forgot to mention it ... had a scan on sat and got the all clear .... from a hernia point of view . It was a lymphoma so not sure if that'll put me on a list for removal or not , im awaiting GP reply  . they must be clearing them quickly congrats 

Edited by Crazyfool01
  • Upvote 1