news & politics:discussion

zahidf

42 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Not that people seem to give a toss but the latest data shows UK CO2 emissions increased by 6% to over 505 million tonnes in 2021.

If these rates carry on and the UK delays the plans to reduce CO2 emissions by 5 years that means there will be another 2.525 BILLION tonnes of CO2 in the atmosphere.

That is more than India produces in a year (1.9 billion tonnes).

Net zero in 2050 WILL NOT remove this from the atmosphere.

Delaying the plans as seems to be happening will damage the climate further.

we're not ready for no gas.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Rishi Sunak will do whatever it takes to protect fossil fuel companies. If only he tried to protect us anywhere near the same as he does them. 

I honestly just think this is purely about the next election...they see this as a potential wedge issue like brexit...and they're getting desperate.

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Inflation down. Well done Rishi.

Great news - odds of a rate rise tomorrow have been slashed as well. I still feel like they will go for another .25, which is probably right, but maybe that actually will be the peak. Could be a huge drop in inflation figures in October. (I know I'm still probably being overly optimistic, fray 😅).

It's also pretty solid confirmation (if it was really needed) that raising rates works to bring down inflation, since supply side (fuel prices up) is up but inflation still coming down. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I honestly just think this is purely about the next election...they see this as a potential wedge issue like brexit...and they're getting desperate.

That's if Starmer promises to roll it back? He may think being aligned to the EU with the 2035 date maybe better for his plan to align us more closely with the single market.

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

It's also pretty solid confirmation (if it was really needed) that raising rates works to bring down inflation, since supply side (fuel prices up) is up but inflation still coming down. 

hmmm. Global energy/food prices had been coming down which brought down inflation....but now rising oil prices could push inflation up in the future....

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sunak is very bad at politics so he probably thinks this is a good thing. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

hmmm. Global energy/food prices had been coming down which brought down inflation....but now rising oil prices could push inflation up in the future....

Rising oil prices probably won’t be felt till next month and as you say food/energy prices are falling which is causing inflation to slow. It backs up what I’ve been saying all along that inflation would’ve slowed anyway without the hardship of raising interest rates. 

8 minutes ago, lost said:

That's if Starmer promises to roll it back? He may think being aligned to the EU with the 2035 date maybe better for his plan to align us more closely with the single market.

this place will go into meltdown if he does that...unless he throws in the rejoin thing and then it will be euphoric.

35 minutes ago, cellar said:

Great news - odds of a rate rise tomorrow have been slashed as well. I still feel like they will go for another .25, which is probably right, but maybe that actually will be the peak. Could be a huge drop in inflation figures in October. (I know I'm still probably being overly optimistic, fray 😅).

There might be a drop, I’m bust worried about it rising again or hovering at like 4/5 percent for ages which is also bad.

I agree it’s probs one more rate rise for now then pause. Unless there’s a gigantic recession, rates should not go below 4% and even then they’d be caught between a rock and a hard place cause inflation is still very prevalent. 

50 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Rishi Sunak will do whatever it takes to protect fossil fuel companies. If only he tried to protect us anywhere near the same as he does them. 

its about trying to keep his mps happy.

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's going back on the whole debate we've been having for months, but yeah, this drop today is a clear result of rate rises - we're seeing economic theory in action, and it's great to see.

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

There might be a drop, I’m bust worried about it rising again or hovering at like 4/5 percent for ages which is also bad.

I agree it’s probs one more rate rise for now then pause. Unless there’s a gigantic recession, rates should not go below 4% and even then they’d be caught between a rock and a hard place cause inflation is still very prevalent. 

Yeah I do agree that it's a concern that we slow rate rises down too quickly. I guess we'll see what the October drop looks like. But we definitely shouldn't be lowering rates for a while yet, at least.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The answer to this is clear, there is no debate needed. Every single person should be out on the streets demanding actual meaningful action.

Shame that it's far too late.

Do you not see the contradiction in your 2 paragraphs? Why would I be out on the street demanding something you say is far too late? Makes 0 sense.