news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We are not perfect by a long long way but we try as much as w can - and on days like this I wonder why I f**king bother.

You're not far off.

TBH I've sort of given up.

Too much responsibility being put on the "small man/woman" when the changes that need to made/will have the biggest impact are the responsibility of governments/businesses/corporations.

Using my diesel van a little less pales into insignificance compared with factories pumping out millions of tons of GHG to produce sh*t.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I am much greener than you.

That is all you need to know.

rubbish 

one bag every 3 weeks  4/5. 

car use less than 3 k annual in an 05 plate ..... will use trains for gigs 3/5 

flights .... once every 5 years or so 4/5 

meat consumption 0/5 as I like my meat and really don't fancy changing 

log fire 0/5 although not used every night during winter 

single no kids 5/5 im no impeding burden once in the ground 

clothes ... I sew buttons on but do buy unnecessary gig mech as I like to support the artist .... mostly ethnically sourced though 3/5 

In terms of smart arse greenery...I'm not that green really.

Consume stuff, throw stuff away. Got a family of fellow consumers. I haven't flown in years, but that isn't out of choice, just family situation, I have flown loads in my life though. Don't eat meat, but do have dairy. Cycle to work unless it's raining hard like this morning and then I drive my old fiesta which I checked and would pass ulez. I don't let it consume me, I am insignificant.

37 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Flight tax is for long haul frequent flyers but few details on it.

just heard that my step daughter is flying to Canada (with a party of 16) for a week's holiday.

its disgusting.if you have to fly at least make it worthwhile.

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

rubbish 

one bag every 3 weeks  4/5. 

car use less than 3 k annual in an 05 plate ..... will use trains for gigs 3/5 

flights .... once every 5 years or so 4/5 

meat consumption 0/5 as I like my meat and really don't fancy changing 

log fire 0/5 although not used every night during winter 

single no kids 5/5 im no impeding burden once in the ground 

clothes ... I sew buttons on but do buy unnecessary gig mech as I like to support the artist .... mostly ethnically sourced though 3/5 

ok, you win.

17 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

to get growth on the current system we have to spend and spend on anything and everything including crap nobody

not true. you need a better understanding of economics.:P 

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

You're not far off.

TBH I've sort of given up.

Too much responsibility being put on the "small man/woman" when the changes that need to made/will have the biggest impact are the responsibility of governments/businesses/corporations.

Using my diesel van a little less pales into insignificance compared with factories pumping out millions of tons of GHG to produce sh*t.

ok...hold on....you;ve given up and you drive a diesel van?

ever feel like you've been cheated?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

ho obviously doesn't get out much cos round here  most "governments/businesses/corporations." have already swapped to electric vans.

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

that meat eating is bad mind .... 

I could see banning meat having knock on issues. The western high sugar / high carb diet is bankrupting the NHS. Every calorie isn't equal, protein makes you feel fuller much more quickly.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Spent years living off-grid, growing my own veg and weed, didn't own a car for a long time, got everywhere by bike, studied renewable energy, degree in Environmental Resource Management etc.

Was really optimistic, then I realised nothing is really changing, money still rules and 2 degrees (never mind 1.5) ain't happening.

Hoping I'll be back off-grid and growing veg very soon, but more for personal reasons.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Spent years living off-grid, growing my own veg and weed, didn't own a car for a long time, got everywhere by bike, studied renewable energy, degree in Environmental Resource Management etc.

Was really optimistic, then I realised nothing is really changing, money still rules and 2 degrees (never mind 1.5) ain't happening.

Hoping I'll be back off-grid and growing veg very soon, but more for personal reasons.

ok ok

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

just heard that my step daughter is flying to Canada (with a party of 16) for a week's holiday.

its disgusting.if you have to fly at least make it worthwhile.

I really want to visit my brother in the US who I haven't seen for nearly 30 years. He has offered to pay but I refuse to fly. I have looked on taking a cabin on a cargo ship but it ain't cheap. The journey including train from New York would take 9 or 10 days which I would find difficult on my own with my health. 

5 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I really want to visit my brother in the US who I haven't seen for nearly 30 years. He has offered to pay but I refuse to fly. I have looked on taking a cabin on a cargo ship but it ain't cheap. The journey including train from New York would take 9 or 10 days which I would find difficult on my own with my health. 

just fly. It's a one off and it's important.