news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Further afield, a 6,480-mile return to New York would need ten trees, with the 7,180 miles to Dubai and back requiring 11. Flying as far as Barbados, Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic or Orlando would need 13 and Las Vegas or San Francisco would need 15.

Seeing as I've planted about 30 000 trees in my life, I'm okay for about 3000 flights to N.York. Reckon I've done about 20 equivalent so far.*

* Carbon off-setting is a scam

25 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It’s their policy to impose the highest tax burden in a century and they back raising interest rates. All measures which add hardship onto people. 

46 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As far as weekly rubbish goes we are as green as we can be.................. probably.

We are vegetarian and source locally as much as we can but we do buy from supermarkets lots too.

We don't do 'fashion' and wear clothes til they are really knackered and buy 2nd hand too.

We have a car (09 reg from new) but will not get another one, likely not and EV either. We will use taxis, buses, trains etc...... or walk which we do lots. Last year the car did 2500 miles ish mostly to festivals and Heathrow.

and there is the failing - Heathrow. My work takes me to Kenya so I fly.................. 2 or 3 times a year recently but reducing to 1 in 2025 and then every other year from 2027 onwards. We have  a tree grove in Scotland where we get trees planted to offset some and we invest in nature and wildlife conservation in Kenya whoihc is one reason we go as well as me being  a nature and wildlife photographer.

We are not perfect by a long long way but we try as much as w can - and on days like this I wonder why I f**king bother.

how many centuries would it take for the not using landfill thing to balance out to one flight to kenya?

35 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I really want to visit my brother in the US who I haven't seen for nearly 30 years. He has offered to pay but I refuse to fly. I have looked on taking a cabin on a cargo ship but it ain't cheap. The journey including train from New York would take 9 or 10 days which I would find difficult on my own with my health. 

Do it as Stevie says it's important.

I regret not travelling to see my mum when I had the chance. And my brothers live overseas and I worry about the same thing happening.

I understand your reluctance to travel as I've got that (health reasons now, not anti-flying).

27 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

the planes would still release the same emissions if it was a fortnight trip?

maybe they can't get more time off work

True. But if we're going to ruin the world it would be better to do it for bigger reasons.for the same emissions they could have lots and lots of smaller flights .

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Doesn’t matter if they were already voting for someone else sadly I don’t trust this account as accurate either … 

It’s from Channel 4 News. 

55 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It doesn’t put Labour in a difficult position at all, they’ve set their stall out for ages now with their green policies and as I said if you want to fight climate change here in the UK then you’d best hope/vote for a Labour government at the next election. 

31 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It doesn’t put Labour in a difficult position at all, they’ve set their stall out for ages now with their green policies and as I said if you want to fight climate change here in the UK then you’d best hope/vote for a Labour government at the next election. 

Are they going to reverse all changes made today?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Are they going to reverse all changes made today?

I know they will keep the 2030 ban on petrol/diesel cars but haven’t read anything else.

They still have all the other policies announced as well.

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I know they will keep the 2030 ban on petrol/diesel cars but haven’t read anything else.

not a problem if they communicate it properly, need to make sure people understand the govt isn't banning petrol/diesel cars in use.

6 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

the planes would still release the same emissions if it was a fortnight trip?

maybe they can't get more time off work

It can be done properly. My kid is currently on a South American tour for a month and is already on his Fourth country. Argentina today.

12 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

how many centuries would it take for the not using landfill thing to balance out to one flight to kenya?

I knew someone would ignore 90% of the post and pick up on one little bit.

Did you read what things we do in Kenya? Conservation is part of it and that alone deals with 75% of the flights and as I am fully aware we need to do more I am training people out there to take my role so we stop going. In other words I am active and doing things to mitigate. We have helped to create and keep thousands of acres of habitat where wildlife thrives and nature is king. The trees there alone could be classed as balancing out CO2 entirely but we choose not to use that.

As far as everything else in life out emissions are very low compared to the average.

You can pick holed all you want but please do try and look at the whole jigsaw and not just a couple of selected lines in trying to win some points.

As I said, we are far from perfect but at least we are doing something about it and not just commenting on social media like many.

Always remember, CO2 from aviation is just 2.5% of global totals.

CO2 from industry, making all the crap people buy, is 24.2%.

If people really want to concentrate on one thing perhaps concentrate on the one that is somewhat more damaging?

and I don't just say that cos we fly to do our work and conservation - but that will all be finished in 7 years....... I forgot to say that. 2 flgihts 2024, 1 2025, 1 2026, 1 2028, 1 2030. Then no more flying.