news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, steviewevie said:

yes, sure...so they would probably have asylum accepted...but again how do you set up safe legal routes for those.

Seems easier for places like Afghanistan (which is supposed to have safe legal routes already), like with Hong Kong and Ukraine.

Afghanistan safe route - phone UK contact number provided.

Wait for instructions.

Meanwhile, hope nobody knocks at your door.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

if he says we're going to allow loads in from these places then he risks losing the election. That is the reality. It's politics.

Oh for honest open politics where they say it as it is...................... we had something better oncde, far from perfect but at least we heard warts and all lots of the time.

Now it is spin and headlines.

I am 'old' and ever more miserable....................................

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Oh for honest open politics where they say it as it is...................... we had something better oncde, far from perfect but at least we heard warts and all lots of the time.

Now it is spin and headlines.

I am 'old' and ever more miserable....................................

I am younger but also wish politics was more honest - I think that's where the disillusionment with politics comes from. Particularly now with Starmers Labour, although I will say there have been a couple of things lately that have given me a bit of hope back. Ultimately though Starmer represents everything that is wrong with the political system for me. Its easy to hate the Tories, so it should be easier to love the opposition, and Starmer makes that very difficult to do.

I obviously get the whole "he needs to win an election" thing, but it does seem like there is no line he couldn't cross in the pursuit of that, which is a very scary prospect. 

So, you're not alone in being angry at the political system. I do wonder if it really ever was any better though (I've never known anything to be radically different for as long as I've been aware of it - but then I've had less time than you to perceive it).

7 minutes ago, cellar said:

I am younger but also wish politics was more honest - I think that's where the disillusionment with politics comes from. Particularly now with Starmers Labour, although I will say there have been a couple of things lately that have given me a bit of hope back. Ultimately though Starmer represents everything that is wrong with the political system for me. Its easy to hate the Tories, so it should be easier to love the opposition, and Starmer makes that very difficult to do.

I obviously get the whole "he needs to win an election" thing, but it does seem like there is no line he couldn't cross in the pursuit of that, which is a very scary prospect. 

So, you're not alone in being angry at the political system. I do wonder if it really ever was any better though (I've never known anything to be radically different for as long as I've been aware of it - but then I've had less time than you to perceive it).

Labour always lose. Only labour leader born in last 100 years to have won is Tony Blair. That is quite the stat. So yes it is annoying, but maybe it's the only way they can win, to bullshit.

I agree though that trust in political system is very low, and if Labour don't improve stuff or go back too much on their manifesto then well, I don't know what. Maybe next election will be between Green and Reform.

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and I'm not convinced that labour are a dead cert to win, because of this from more in common that was posted on here yesterday. A lot of tory vote has gone to Don't Know...if things like asylum seeker or net zero policies are important to them then they may well head back to tory...

image.png.f450d10d48862791b075a50636d778da.png

Maybe a lot of that "don't know" is to do with general disillusionment. So yeah, there is the angle of "playing to win," but it will inevitably turn some others away. I didn't think that was a significant number, but maybe its bigger than we think.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Labour always lose. Only labour leader born in last 100 years to have won is Tony Blair. That is quite the stat. So yes it is annoying, but maybe it's the only way they can win, to bullshit.

I agree though that trust in political system is very low, and if Labour don't improve stuff or go back too much on their manifesto then well, I don't know what. Maybe next election will be between Green and Reform.

They arent bullshitting. Starmer isn’t a secret radical. He is just a Labour right guy. If you think the policies positions they take now are sh*t, dont vote for them, because this is what you will get.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

and I'm not convinced that labour are a dead cert to win, because of this from more in common that was posted on here yesterday. A lot of tory vote has gone to Don't Know...if things like asylum seeker or net zero policies are important to them then they may well head back to tory...

image.png.f450d10d48862791b075a50636d778da.png

A lot of ‘don’t knows’ were a big reason for the Labour landslide in 1997. 

I just wish things got sold as a positive to the electorate much better from the opposition  instead of running scared all the time .... Brexit went wrong because ... here is what we will do to make your lives better ... it's clearly an absolute f**k up now and people can see that and that's the majority of people . Immigration should be sold as a positive but I guess we have the daily mail to thank for that. hopefully the landscape changes slightly without people having the need to pander to Murdoch as he massively influences our political landscape 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I just wish things got sold as a positive to the electorate much better from the opposition  instead of running scared all the time .... Brexit went wrong because ... here is what we will do to make your lives better ... it's clearly an absolute f**k up now and people can see that and that's the majority of people . Immigration should be sold as a positive but I guess we have the daily mail to thank for that. hopefully the landscape changes slightly without people having the need to pander to Murdoch as he massively influences our political landscape 

What would my 'alter ego' say................................ who is my alter ego anyway, I have not idea but you seemed to know yesterday.

I thought I was just me, radical, left and miserable

Thursday 21st September

Rishi Sunak - I will not tell people what to do, it is not up to me to tell people what to do so we are scrapping things that never existed.

Saturday 23rd September

Person of same name but obviously  a different person wants to tell people they cannot smoke anymore............ though I do agree the policy is a good one even though that admission leaves a foul taste in my mouth like I had just been smoking.

Rishi Sunak is considering a recommendation that would effectively ban cigarettes for the next generation.

The prime minister could introduce some of the world's toughest anti-smoking measures by steadily increasing the legal age for consuming tobacco, according to The Guardian, citing Whitehall sources.

The paper said it also understood Mr Sunak's leadership pledge to fine people £10 for missing a GP or hospital appointment could be under consideration once more.

On 8/20/2023 at 7:30 PM, Neil said:

an update for this, the walk was today i made the full mile, but was pushed in my wheelchair for about half of it -  despite being that wimp, my wife (who understands my struggles), was impressed with my efforts..... all participants (about 80) raised a total of about £5k by this morning - thanks to everyone who gave to support and motivate me or others.
(we'[ll be doing it all again next year when i hope i'll do the full mile on my feet).

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

an update for this, the walk was today i made the full mile, but was pushed in my wheelchair for about half of it -  despite being that wimp, my wife (who understands my struggles), was impressed with my efforts..... all participants (about 80) raised a total of about £5k by this morning - thanks to everyone who gave to support and motivate me or others.
(we'[ll be doing it all again next year when i hope i'll do the full mile on my feet).

That's fantastic, well done mate

51 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Thursday 21st September

Rishi Sunak - I will not tell people what to do, it is not up to me to tell people what to do so we are scrapping things that never existed.

Saturday 23rd September

Person of same name but obviously  a different person wants to tell people they cannot smoke anymore............ though I do agree the policy is a good one even though that admission leaves a foul taste in my mouth like I had just been smoking.

Rishi Sunak is considering a recommendation that would effectively ban cigarettes for the next generation.

The prime minister could introduce some of the world's toughest anti-smoking measures by steadily increasing the legal age for consuming tobacco, according to The Guardian, citing Whitehall sources.

The paper said it also understood Mr Sunak's leadership pledge to fine people £10 for missing a GP or hospital appointment could be under consideration once more.

As a smoker I would be in favour of this. It's a disgusting habit and one I wish I didn't have

39 minutes ago, cellar said:

As a smoker I would be in favour of this. It's a disgusting habit and one I wish I didn't have

Don't get me wrong, it is a policy that when New Zealand bought it in I immediately said we needed (and I was a smoker for 21 years).......................

It is just the double standards of a man that says he does not want to tell people what to do re climate change and then wants to tell people what to do re smoking and has told people what to do re protestiing....................... but then he is a politician and they have different standards to a mere moral like me.

Meanwhile in the world of Sunak...............

A taskforce to speed up home insulation and boiler upgrades has been disbanded, the BBC can reveal.

The group - which included the chair of the National Infrastructure Commission Sir John Armitt and other leading experts - was only launched in March.

But it appears to be a casualty of Rishi Sunak's decision to scrap energy efficiency regulations for landlords in an overhaul of green policies.

Members were informed in a letter, seen by the BBC, that it was being wound up.

Energy efficiency minister Lord Callanan told the group its work would be "streamlined" into ongoing government activity.

Energy analyst Jess Ralston at non-profit group the Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit told the BBC: "This appears to be yet another U-turn that could lead to higher bills just like the prime minister's decision last week to roll back landlord insulation standards that could leave renters paying an additional £8bn on energy bills."