news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

My prices have just dropped 8% should I fix ? im losing the will on what to do 

We are going on standard variable. The fix options available to us are all about 2% above that and come with a hefty tie in.

The govt price cap will return if the OFGEM cap goes over £3k

The 40% rise looks scary but if it stays it means the cap will go up to around £2300 in Jan...... but it has to stay at 115ish for that to happen.

Personally I would stick on variable but of you want certainty about outgoings then fix. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If Trump maintains a sizeable lead in the polls will Democrats bin Biden for a younger model?

how long till Democrats decide ? its bonkers that hes standing at his age tbh .... but then even more bonkers that Trump stands a chance .... I guess the hope now is he gets locked up 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think it might be an idea to fix when the October price cap comes into place. If you haven’t then it might be a good idea to have a look at MSE as they have good write ups and calculations on it. 

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We are going on standard variable. The fix options available to us are all about 2% above that and come with a hefty tie in.

The govt price cap will return if the OFGEM cap goes over £3k

The 40% rise looks scary but if it stays it means the cap will go up to around £2300 in Jan...... but it has to stay at 115ish for that to happen.

Personally I would stick on variable but of you want certainty about outgoings then fix. 

Thanks both 

I didn't even know the UK had one!

The state-owned British Business Bank (BBB) has swung to an annual pre-tax loss of more than £147m.

The economic development lender says wider economic problems led to a drop in the valuation of businesses it has invested in.

The bank says it made £1.6bn of funding agreements in the year "despite the challenging economic environment".

BBB was set up in 2014 to lend money to and buy stakes in smaller UK businesses to help them start up and expand.

The bank said the value of its investments fell by £146m, or 5%, in the 12 months to the end of March. That compares to a gain of £619m in the previous year.

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

how long till Democrats decide ? its bonkers that hes standing at his age tbh .... but then even more bonkers that Trump stands a chance .... I guess the hope now is he gets locked up 

yep...well this is kind of unprecedented, normally the incumbent president gets to stand for a 2nd term, If starts to look bad for Biden I think someone will step in and say he/she is standing, not sure who that would be though.

I think Trump will win. 

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Thanks both 

I found that the current fixed deals were just over what I was paying but hopefully that will change with the reduced cap from October. 

48 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Inflation will fall to 2% by the end of 2025 even with this gas price rise but may then not fall much more after so rates will stay up and not fall.

BoE is targeting first half 2025 to be back at 2% - these are big rises in fuel prices though, so I don't think anyone can rule out further interest rate rises. Just have to wait and see.

We've seen that rate rises are working to combat inflation, so the BoE surely won't hesitate to go again if it looks like these price rises start pushing up that inflation figure.

58 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yep...well this is kind of unprecedented, normally the incumbent president gets to stand for a 2nd term, If starts to look bad for Biden I think someone will step in and say he/she is standing, not sure who that would be though.

I think Trump will win. 

I think they'll let biden go up against trump he's beat him once already.

47 minutes ago, cellar said:

BoE is targeting first half 2025 to be back at 2% - these are big rises in fuel prices though, so I don't think anyone can rule out further interest rate rises. Just have to wait and see.

We've seen that rate rises are working to combat inflation, so the BoE surely won't hesitate to go again if it looks like these price rises start pushing up that inflation figure.

Most recent rises in fuel will  not increase inflation due to what it is compared with 12 months earlier hence the UK inflation fell in August whereas other countries went up. The increase in inflation will come, but will only really show mid summer on next year depending on what happens next. It is that later effect that will mean inflation stays at 2% ish longer rather than falling below it as many thought - so no reason to cut rates.

bit 12 months is a long time and who knows what will happen............ apart from Nostrodamus of course but don't look at his predictions for 2024.

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

BET NOW!

I'm putting a tenner on a small tory majority and this place goes into meltdown.

The 'government' will win the election and the public will carry on regardless...................

The 'government' is any of the main 3 parties who seem to be seeing how similar they can all actually be.

In 5 years time if this place exists and we are all here we will all be having the same conversations about the same things as - nothing will really change regardless of who the 'government' is..

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The 'government' will win the election and the public will carry on regardless...................

The 'government' is any of the main 3 parties who seem to be seeing how similar they can all actually be.

In 5 years time if this place exists and we are all here we will all be having the same conversations about the same things as - nothing will really change regardless of who the 'government' is..

Alright Jo Swinson 😉

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Most recent rises in fuel will  not increase inflation due to what it is compared with 12 months earlier hence the UK inflation fell in August whereas other countries went up. The increase in inflation will come, but will only really show mid summer on next year depending on what happens next. It is that later effect that will mean inflation stays at 2% ish longer rather than falling below it as many thought - so no reason to cut rates.

bit 12 months is a long time and who knows what will happen............ apart from Nostrodamus of course but don't look at his predictions for 2024.

less urgency to push rising costs onto customers now, as things are less tight after already having increased prices.

8 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

you're missing that the electorate stays the same.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

less urgency to push rising costs onto customers now, as things are less tight after already having increased prices.

Rising costs get pushed onto customers anyway through increased interest rates so whilst energy bills might not go up as quick, we are still feeling the pinch. 

17 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Russell Brand was right, there's no point in voting.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Rising costs get pushed onto customers anyway through increased interest rates so whilst energy bills might not go up as quick, we are still feeling the pinch. 

customers will have been expecting rises so far so they're easy to do further rises will trickle down more slowly.