news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

We have loads of migration, but people only seem bothered about the "illegal" bit...so maybe make it more legal. Safe routes from some countries like already in place for Ukraine and Hong Kong..speed up asylum claims so not being held in hotels for so long...and somehow work with other countries to come up with a solution to this. Labour has suggested something along these lines.

I think the sad thing, as we all know, is the whole thing is just a political tool. Xenophobia is the oldest form of propaganda and all that.

8 minutes ago, cellar said:

I think the sad thing, as we all know, is the whole thing is just a political tool. Xenophobia is the oldest form of propaganda and all that.

sure...there is a lot of that...but despite what Braverman says we are a multicultural country and people's views have become more liberal on this stuff, we have an asian hindu PM, I never would have imagined that possible when I was young. I just think this all got whipped up firsly by Farage and certain papers with the small boats coming over, and then Braverman and her language and policies...but it's the whole control of borders thing, the big driver of the brexit vote, that seems to be paramount for a lot of people.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

sure...there is a lot of that...but despite what Braverman says we are a multicultural country and people's views have become more liberal on this stuff, we have an asian hindu PM, I never would have imagined that possible when I was young. I just think this all got whipped up firsly by Farage and certain papers with the small boats coming over, and then Braverman and her language and policies...but it's the whole control of borders thing, the big driver of the brexit vote, that seems to be paramount for a lot of people.

All why I am trying to work out if there is a different way, some kind of work around that keeps more happy than the system we have now............ or even if the safe routes are opened up (which most will not be).

Thetre simply has to be  abetter way - and the sooner someone works it out the better as migration is going to get a lot lot bigger in the decades to come

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

nice post - it's more about the  consequences of not controlling - such as the  huge cost of hotels, or new housing being filled by immigrants - someone i know always goes on about that. With limited resources we cant give everyone everything.

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

All why I am trying to work out if there is a different way, some kind of work around that keeps more happy than the system we have now............ or even if the safe routes are opened up (which most will not be).

Thetre simply has to be  abetter way - and the sooner someone works it out the better as migration is going to get a lot lot bigger in the decades to come

but people aren't kicking off about immigrants already here and working...they're all upset about hotels full of "illegals" and more boats arriving and the idea we're being swamped or invaded or whatever that horrible twat Braverman said. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

but people aren't kicking off about immigrants already here and working..

they were that's were the up set started - them getting council houses or even the best jobs

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but people aren't kicking off about immigrants already here and working...they're all upset about hotels full of "illegals" and more boats arriving and the idea we're being swamped or invaded or whatever that horrible twat Braverman said. 

and if you read my original post it is the later I am talking about................... I do try and give details of what and why I #am saying things................... if only people read them LOL

10 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and if you read my original post it is the later I am talking about................... I do try and give details of what and why I #am saying things................... if only people read them LOL

ok and I am arguing once they are in work then the focus is off them...no need to make them pay more tax when they are already probably doing low paid work which would just create more of a divide and a whole new underclass.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

ok and I am arguing once they are in work then the focus is off them...no need to make them pay more tax when they are already probably doing low paid work which would just create more of a divide and a whole new underclass.

It might do that, and that is something to consider in the 'it's not as simple as that' part................

It would be a limited time, 10 years max and cpould reduce year on year................

and you ought to look at many of these migrants/refugees - I have - and the number of highly qualified professionals is high. Those from Syria include dentists, nurses, doctors and from Afghanistan numerous translators.

It is only certain sections of the media that portray them all as unqualified benefit scroungers............ and is totally untrue.

and if they worked while awaiting processing then they can pay their own way and we have no more stupid hotel costs to apply racists.................... which is why the Troies would never do such a change cos they like angry racists.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

34 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and you ought to look at many of these migrants/refugees - I have - and the number of highly qualified professionals is high. Those from Syria include dentists, nurses, doctors and from Afghanistan numerous translators.

ok, but not all are like that are they? And that shouldn't be a measure of anything. Still don't think we should be taxing them more than migrants from Australia or wherever just because they're fleeing war or persecution or whatever just to try and appease the daily mail.

Edited by steviewevie

7 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As I walked in the woods a thought hit me................... and I wonder what you lot think.

The UK has an aging population and already needs more willing workers.
We have a stream of people who want to work on tap and could, if we chose, get them sorted and in work fast.

If we therefore decided to do that but added one more new thing to the equation - an 'incomer tax' of 10% on top of all other taxes that they have to pay on earnings for the first 10 years - as do any dependant family that are allowed in with them once they earn as well (so a 12 year old will pay the tax for 10 years once they start work).

That helps fund the NHS and services they may use and as all the ones I have spoken to and heard say they just want to work and earn money then I am sure they would not turn down the chance to come here and earn their keep.

I know racist minds will hate it cos they do not want them regardless but if I were 55 and was told I could retire now and enjoy life as we have new workers coming who will pay more tax and so enable you to take your pension early I would bite their hands off....................... but I am not scared of people who look different so maybe I am bias.

Anyway, I know it is not as simple as this but - we need workers, they want to work........................ some jigsaws can be easy to complete.

I think our health and social care would collapse as people (who we would need) would choose to go elsewhere.