news & politics:discussion

zahidf

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Potentially yeah, plus there’s no guarantee the EU would want us back yet. 

There's no guarantee that we want to go back or that the UK Will accept the humiliation of refusal.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

They ceased to be the council in May with Labour taking over - friends who live there say most things are the same or worse since.

thank will check with my mate who lives in hove. (his daughter lives in fatboy's flat).

Political parties respond to public opinion.

When polling shows they might/will win they like to call elections.

If you want an election sooner rather than later then use every route open to you to spread the word and get ll those routes to also spread the word that when asked in a poll who you would vote for - say Conservative..............................

I know getting the word out to people actually asked is hard - who has ever been asked?

But if we all used our social media connections, then those connections used theirs and so on we might get word out to enough so the polls narrow................ but the polls are then wrong, very wrong and we might rid ourselves of this shambles sooner rather than later.

Am I grasping at straws - of course.................. but listening to them all today is embarrassing and the UK needs rid as soon as possible.

I'll bugger off to my cloud cuckoo  utopia land to see if Ozanne is there for a coffee.

For a 5p cut in fuel duty to save me £100 a year I need to fill my 40 litre petrol tank 50 times every year....................

That means I need to empty it every week.........

Our last tank of fuel lasted 5 weeks.......

Even the 'average' driver will not use 50 lots of 40 litres in a year.

Seems Sunak Lies

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Next election, May or October?

BET NOW!

Impossible question.................. if the polls stay as they are, Jan 25

If their planned electoral con works (it has started already), May 25

I personally see no purpose in Oct/Nov next year - the 'leak' that they want inflation to 3% makes no sense. A cut in inflation is good but it is no tax cut and still takes money out of pockets so hpw can it give any electoral boost............... or are the public really that stupid?

but my money si still on May or June as it always has been.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I personally see no purpose in Oct/Nov next year - the 'leak' that they want inflation to 3% makes no sense. A cut in inflation is good but it is no tax cut and still takes money out of pockets so hpw can it give any electoral boost............... or are the public really that stupid?

Can’t be may 2025, too late 

2 hours ago, Neil said:

There's no guarantee that we want to go back or that the UK Will accept the humiliation of refusal.

I doubt we’d even try without behind the scenes assurances from the EU they would be at least interested. I just don’t know why the EU would want us considering the Tories could come back in and take us out again. Plus we’d probably have to take the Euro. 

Cos it is wet and yukkie out...................

Spanish Inflation chart vs Eurozone Interest rate chart

Rising interest rates get inflation to fall some say.
Others say that inflation is not 'national' and so interest rates will not effect it like previously.

Others, like me, say it is a bit of both and the situation is far from anything economically normal........ did tax cuts to support the economy have the effect of increasing inflation despite interest rates rising?
Do old economic methods now not work as the one size fits all in the modern world?

When UK inflation starts to rise again - maybe Sept figures will rise and the slowdown will certainly be slower whilst the economy falters - does the UK need rate rises or tax cuts or infrastructure investment?

Happy Soggy Sunday.

image.png.512cae55a2d9d3ef73471e998f2c585f.png
Spain Inflation Rate

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I doubt we’d even try without behind the scenes assurances from the EU they would be at least interested. I just don’t know why the EU would want us considering the Tories could come back in and take us out again. Plus we’d probably have to take the Euro. 

I'm not sure its possible to get meaningful assurances from the EU because its the decision of the individual member states. We'd have to take the Euro but that might be acceptable because there's a history of operation to refer to. "Doing that doesn't restrict us"?can probably add some treaty terms to stop us being a yo-yo member."leaving would be a ten year process"

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I reckon may with the locals cos sunak won't be pm after that.

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'm not sure its possible to get meaningful assurances from the EU because its the decision of the individual member states. We'd have to take the Euro but that might be acceptable because there's a history of operation to refer to. "Doing that doesn't restrict us"?can probably add some treaty terms to stop us being a yo-yo member."leaving would be a ten year process"

Fair point about the individual states. I guess that's why we need to align closer over time and show the EU we are more ready that way. 

I reckon the EU would want us to have PR before we rejoin so majority Tory governments can't take us out as easily.

This is all well and good but halving inflation means things are still going up in price so not a tax cut in anyway possible. He’s lying and thinks we are thick as sh*t. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

This is all well and good but halving inflation means things are still going up in price so not a tax cut in anyway possible. He’s lying and thinks we are thick as sh*t. 

If you tell people a lie often enough then the lie becomes the truth.................................. that was how Brexit was won.

They still think the electorate can be manipulated with ease - sadly much of it can.

25 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

They still think the electorate can be manipulated with ease - sadly much of it can.

can be, but they want to be manipulated- there's a pay-off.