news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Doubt it at my work, they can barely get people in once a week atm.

its lack of imagoination by management people work harder at home.

Just now, Neil said:

Sometimes I do, it depends. It does save me a fiver on the bus or train and mean I can make a nicer lunch. Saves me over an hour of commuting too. I like a mixture cause the social aspect of the office is good. 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

Some do. Some do sod all. The issue seems to be the solution for the ones taking the piss is to get everyone back in the office.

One of my mates team is on the x-box all day and the manager has said if she singles him out he'll be straight to HR hence everyone has to come back in.

21 minutes ago, Neil said:

The HS2 f**k up reminds me of something I read about Bristol. There was a plan for a big new road system. They compulsory purchased a whole neighbourhood hundreds of houses and made an area desolate. Thirty years later the road system abandoned horrid New housing was built on the cleared land.

Its why Bristol is a driver's nightmare.

No improvement in Bristol

42 minutes ago, Neil said:

ever heard of thekla in bristol???

Superb venue, was closed last time I was in Bristol though. Refurbishment I think, summer before Covid

looks like labour are backing "network north" too:

Sir Keir Starmer will not commit to reversing Rishi Sunak’s decision to scrap the second phase of HS2 if he wins the next general election. 

The Labour leader has revealed he would stick to the Prime Minister’s plan by using the savings to build high speed rail links across the North instead

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/05/keir-starmer-will-not-commit-reverse-rishi-sunak-hs2-cut/

33 minutes ago, stuie said:

Superb venue, was closed last time I was in Bristol though. Refurbishment I think, summer before Covid

its been in bristol all the time i've been her (25 years) only ever been for a drink there.

the fleece is my fav venue.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

they've made it very difficult for him to reverse it even if he wanted to.

He's never been a fan though has he? He's made loads of speeches about it being canned so probably relieved.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

the tories have nicked the saved money so starmer will need to restore the money if he restores the project.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

the tories have nicked the saved money so starmer will need to restore the money if he restores the project.

yeah...strategy is we're going to cancel this and that and dare Labour to say they will uncancel things and then ask how they're going to pay for it the tax raising commie eco terrorists.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

That's not what that says at all and you know it. Sunak has made it nearly impossible to reverse the cancellation to HS2.

Yes but i'm saying he wont want to:

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Yes but i'm saying he wont want to:

You didn't say that in your original post but ok that's a video from years ago. It was Labour policy to build HS2 in full which they now can't do because Sunak has made it near impossible to do so. It doesn't matter what Starmer wants to do or not but I suspect you know that really...

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It doesn't matter what Starmer wants to do or not but I suspect you know that really...

Yes the labour leader has no control over labour policy.

If costs have risen since he made that speech and potentially may rise again before the labour government then he's not that stupid not to act on what he believes.

Edited by lost

8 minutes ago, lost said:

Yes the labour leader has no control over labour policy.

you know the point he is making...if they're reversing safeguarding land and are selling back purchased properties without even trying to get a consensus then the whole thing is killed.

Edited by steviewevie