news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

there's a vat exemption on all education and educational materials wonder if that'll be changed too? will add a fair bit to school expenses if it was.

Just now, zahidf said:

I suspect it will just be on private schools

would also hit after school tutoring, and create a tax exemption that some would exploit - better to remove the exemption from all education.

Just now, Neil said:

would also hit after school tutoring, and create a tax exemption that some would exploit - better to remove the exemption from all education.

Let's see the nuts and bolts, but I think if you're paying for after school tutoring, you can afford an extra 20%

On the other thing, what is happening to Palestine is bad over the years, but that isn't an excuse for Hamas's actions.

At the end of the day, background factors are only a factor. Hamas have agency and they've decided to do what they've done 

People have agency - they are not the unthinking products of their environment.

So while there may be relevant reasons which led a person to do terrible, inhuman things, such as massacre hundreds of young people attending a music festival, or going door to door in a kibbutz to mow down families, we do not treat those reasons as excusing their conduct. And we don’t expect, if we do those things ourselves, to be excused. They are *crimes*. We call it *terrorism* for a reason - it is done to create terror and carnage. That is the purpose.

Edited by zahidf

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

People have agency - they are not the unthinking products of their environment.

they gave up that agency when they voted for hamas.

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Let's see the nuts and bolts, but I think if you're paying for after school tutoring, you can afford an extra 20%

yeah, probably, also the sort of thing to chip away at support for labour.

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

What do you support in relation to the Isreali/Palestine dispute. Ending Isreali oppresion and occupation can cover a wide spectrum of actions.

I think its clearly a very complex issue - I do think right to resettlement at the heart of it, but it obviously has got a lot more difficult to see how it would work in practice.

My main issue is with the imbalance of power and the tactics used against Palestine. Whatever the resolution might eventually be, the behaviour by Israel over the years is reprehensible and deserve condemnation.

11 hours ago, cellar said:

Out of interest, no one here is actually pro-Israel right?

I am neither pro or anti Israel the same as any other country. To me a country is more than the government. I am British and don’t endorse many of the actions of the British government.

I do find it a bit strange how Israel at times is grouped together as an entity that doesn’t happen with other countries. You rarely hear about people being talked about as pro German.

What has disappointed me is with all the bloodshed in recent days, many on social media seem more obsessed with political point scoring than all the dead people.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Meh , if they can get more money in, they'll afford more spending on popular polices 

vat on after school tuition would be so tiny it'd be meaningless

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I am neither pro or anti Israel the same as any other country. To me a country is more than the government. I am British and don’t endorse many of the actions of the British government.

I do find it a bit strange how Israel at times is grouped together as an entity that doesn’t happen with other countries. You rarely hear about people being talked about as pro German.

What has disappointed me is with all the bloodshed in recent days, many on social media seem more obsessed with political point scoring than all the dead people.

Yeah my initial wording was pretty poor - I can only apologise again.

i've got a rare thing in the morning, a doc's appointment:- bet it'll be with a practice nurse   (hope she's had lots of practice)

cos its such a rarity, i have to take a long list.

52 minutes ago, cellar said:

I think its clearly a very complex issue - I do think right to resettlement at the heart of it, but it obviously has got a lot more difficult to see how it would work in practice.

My main issue is with the imbalance of power and the tactics used against Palestine. Whatever the resolution might eventually be, the behaviour by Israel over the years is reprehensible and deserve condemnation.

But Isreal also react to their pereceived threat. Isreal took control of Gaza in the 6 days war after arab aggression Isreal withdrew after doing a deal with the PLO but then Hamas were voted in and won a civil war with the PLO. Neither side can win so another land for peace deal is the only option but Isreal will only deal with people who recognise them.

Edited by lazyred
i was wrong