news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Seems to be changing to me …. Torygraph article earlier and this . They’ll all want to back a winner won’t they … murdoch met Blair on several occasions didn’t he ? 

Yes some might want to back a winner, and some probably think Starmer looks a better prospect than Tories, who have looked more and more chaotic and loonytunes recently....and yes labour are not scary lefties now.

3 hours ago, gizmoman said:

And that is why they did it, it was clearly set up, just watch the BBC live reporting,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-67065235

The reporter announces that his reaction is going to be "roll up his sleeves and get stuck in" even before he has unbuttoned his sleeve. Clearly a rehearsed stunt, why did he take off his jacket and roll up his sleeves? Not necessary unless he wanted to portray a more down to earth image. Security would have got him before he got to Starmer unless they were told not to.

Don't ever change gizmoman, don't ever change

47 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

So you fully support the Tory press backing Labour ? 

I support a Labour government and if they can convince the normal hostile media to be slightly more level with their reporting then that will help achieve that.

It also shows that if you can win over right leaning people then they also have a good chance to convince other voters and therefore win the election. It isn’t rocket science. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I support a Labour government and if they can convince the normal hostile media to be slightly more level with their reporting then that will help achieve that.

It also shows that if you can win over right leaning people then they also have a good chance to convince other voters and therefore win the election. It isn’t rocket science. 

And Starmer and the scum ? 

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes some might want to back a winner, and some probably think Starmer looks a better prospect than Tories, who have looked more and more chaotic and loonytunes recently....and yes labour are not scary lefties now.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see The Sun switch allegiance before the next election, their political editor Harry Cole has subtly changed his tone in recent weeks. 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

And Starmer and the scum ? 

What about it? I have no real feelings towards it.

Starmer has explained that saying that whilst he understands the feeling around it, it’s his job to get Labour into government and to do that he needs to reach as many people as possible so therefore he needs to write in papers like The Sun. 

32 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What about it? I have no real feelings towards it.

Starmer has explained that saying that whilst he understands the feeling around it, it’s his job to get Labour into government and to do that he needs to reach as many people as possible so therefore he needs to write in papers like The Sun. 

You not meant to be a Liverpool fan?

47 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

He doesn’t need to write in the scum And description of it as a newspaper is pretty generous . 

Evidently Starmer thinks otherwise and considering the position he inherited he has to take every opportunity available to him. I understand his logic, it worked for Blair so might do for him. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Evidently Starmer thinks otherwise and considering the position he inherited he has to take every opportunity available to him. I understand his logic, it worked for Blair so might do for him. 

Do you not think showing morals wins some votes and sticking to that would be a great selling point for him ?  As he has already turned on a promise . As a Liverpool fan I’m pretty suprised you accept this to be honest … you will likely be in a minority of 1 

23 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Do you not think showing morals wins some votes and sticking to that would be a great selling point for him ?  As he has already turned on a promise . As a Liverpool fan I’m pretty suprised you accept this to be honest … you will likely be in a minority of 1 

I’m sure he does show morales, he certainly would’ve shown them when helping people in the CPS, writing in a newspaper isn’t the definition of someone having good morales or not. I imagine Labour have worked out it’s a net benefit for him to write in The Sun.

I can assure you I’m not the only Liverpool fan that isn’t bothered by this. I’m more bothered by what the Tories have done to our country over the last 13 years.

22 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Edit it’s ok to not like everything about Labour and a politician and then vote for them 

It’s also ok to really connect with a politician and understand the greater picture of what they are trying to do.

Edited by Ozanne

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Don't ever change gizmoman, don't ever change

You don't think it's even a possibility that something like this could be contrived? You don't find it strange how security didn't stop him? I certainly won't change my cynical outlook when it comes to politics and politicians, too many examples of dodgy dealings, criminal behavior and outright lies to start taking things at face value. It's pretty clear that Starmer is the chosen next PM, he is acceptable to the establishment in a way that Corbyn wasn't, the press dictate the publics perception of leaders by their reporting, Corbyn got trashed, Starmer is being promoted, should be easy enough to see.

I happily avoid the Sun newspaper, I was a Liverpool fan at the time of Hillsborough but drifted to my local team (Wrexham) as I got older.

Some people choose to buy the sun and that’s up to them, these people also have a right to political representation and in some seats may make a difference. I see little to be gained in telling all sun voters to vote Tory.

To me what will benefit both sun readers and the people of Liverpool the most is a labour government. I am pretty apathetic about what paper Starmer (or other labour MP) writes in, I just won’t read if I don’t like the paper, in fact I probably won’t read if I do!

6 hours ago, gizmoman said:

You don't think it's even a possibility that something like this could be contrived? You don't find it strange how security didn't stop him? I certainly won't change my cynical outlook when it comes to politics and politicians, too many examples of dodgy dealings, criminal behavior and outright lies to start taking things at face value. It's pretty clear that Starmer is the chosen next PM, he is acceptable to the establishment in a way that Corbyn wasn't, the press dictate the publics perception of leaders by their reporting, Corbyn got trashed, Starmer is being promoted, should be easy enough to see.

It's certainly possible and you're right, there's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of cynicism, but you leapt beyond that to "this was definitely a set up" and the evidence for this (as far as I could work out, he took his jacket off and came out with a good line. Oh, and of course, it fits in with your views) sounds about as plausible as the "evidence" that conspiracy theorists generally come out with

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gizmoman said:

the press have had a good old go at starmer...flip flopping captain hindsight lefty lawyer...but there isn't as much to get him on as Corbs...plus the tories just keep f**king up.

Starmer does seem to have the wind in his sails at moment though, Labour had a good conference with no f**k ups or infighting and there is a positive mood because they think they're going to win....and it was the opposite for the tories.

If the protest was staged, and if it got out he'd be toast so why the feck risk it. I know its hard for the conspiracy minded, but sometimes things just happen.

Edited by steviewevie

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I happily avoid the Sun newspaper, I was a Liverpool fan at the time of Hillsborough but drifted to my local team (Wrexham) as I got older.

Some people choose to buy the sun and that’s up to them, these people also have a right to political representation and in some seats may make a difference. I see little to be gained in telling all sun voters to vote Tory.

To me what will benefit both sun readers and the people of Liverpool the most is a labour government. I am pretty apathetic about what paper Starmer (or other labour MP) writes in, I just won’t read if I don’t like the paper, in fact I probably won’t read if I do!

yeah agree with this actually. Labour just want to win, and it's often real hard for Labour to win, and it's going to be a sh*tty grim campaign where tories will be hoping that papers will do a job on starmer, and it's the sun wot won it.