news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I happily avoid the Sun newspaper, I was a Liverpool fan at the time of Hillsborough but drifted to my local team (Wrexham) as I got older.

Some people choose to buy the sun and that’s up to them, these people also have a right to political representation and in some seats may make a difference. I see little to be gained in telling all sun voters to vote Tory.

To me what will benefit both sun readers and the people of Liverpool the most is a labour government. I am pretty apathetic about what paper Starmer (or other labour MP) writes in, I just won’t read if I don’t like the paper, in fact I probably won’t read if I do!

I think we had this discussion a few pages back. It's incredibly difficult to not get a bad taste in my mouth when the leader of Labour is writing for the Sun. I guess its easier to be apathetic about it if its not something that affects you - or you think it doesn't. The issue shouldn't just be seen as one affecting Liverpool, though.

I get the argument of needing to win over a certain set of voters, but the Sun shouldn't even be allowed to be published anymore.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, cellar said:

I think we had this discussion a few pages back. It's incredibly difficult to not get a bad taste in my mouth when the leader of Labour is writing for the Sun. I guess its easier to be apathetic about it if its not something that affects you - or you think it doesn't. The issue shouldn't just be seen as one affecting Liverpool, though.

I get the argument of needing to win over a certain set of voters, but the Sun shouldn't even be allowed to be published anymore.

The sun readers deserve political representation like the rest of us. I am very wary about discounting the views of a whole subset of the population. I hope a decent chunk of the sun readers vote labour as this will not only improve their lives, but mine. No issues at all with Starmer putting the case forward.

I also think banning the sun would set a very dangerous precedent and would not support this. I am more in favour of what happens in Liverpool where people just boycott.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

The sun readers deserve political representation like the rest of us. I am very wary about discounting the views of a whole subset of the population. I hope a decent chunk of the sun readers vote labour as this will not only improve their lives, but mine. No issues at all with Starmer putting the case forward.

I also think banning the sun would set a very dangerous precedent and would not support this. I am more in favour of what happens in Liverpool where people just boycott.

Don’t think anyone would suggest an outright ban, more like what happened to News of the World 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

the press have had a good old go at starmer...flip flopping captain hindsight lefty lawyer...but there isn't as much to get him on as Corbs...plus the tories just keep f**king up.

Starmer does seem to have the wind in his sails at moment though, Labour had a good conference with no f**k ups or infighting and there is a positive mood because they think they're going to win....and it was the opposite for the tories.

If the protest was staged, and if it got out he'd be toast so why the feck risk it. I know its hard for the conspiracy minded, but sometimes things just happen.

That's what they want you to think

Interesting article by Andrew Neil in the Daily Mail today (I won't post a link as it might upset people here) which sort of sums up my feelings about Labour at the moment. It questions where the money is coming from to fund Labour's program should they win the next election.

22 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Interesting article by Andrew Neil in the Daily Mail today (I won't post a link as it might upset people here) which sort of sums up my feelings about Labour at the moment. It questions where the money is coming from to fund Labour's program should they win the next election.

Tell him the answer is tax, borrowing, and they won't do everything they promised.

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I like this. If he sticks to it. Big if.

won't be good for labour, saying f**k the locals has  lost the tories a seat or two.

Edited by Neil

The sun is a hateful comic and not just for the people of Liverpool im amazed anyone actually buys it .... Gizmoman is correct is that the media run the country ( Murdoch ) and not the politicians , the sun positioning itself alongside Starmer isn't for his or the countrys benefit . They've just f**ked us over with Brexit and they will continue to f**k  the poor , Labour will continue to move further right in the belief that its what the country want as sold by the media .  so at some point people need to say f**k you to them and let it go out of business ... the readership has massively dropped . Where is the line drawn by Starmer ? does he have to keep turning to appease people and then more people and another policy here . 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Tell him the answer is tax, borrowing, and they won't do everything they promised.

Andrew Neil will always find ways to bash Labour policies, he always comes across as more Tory than anything else. He also has some really weird takes, he tries to claim Jan 6th 2021 in the US wasn’t an attempted insurrection or something like that. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Andrew Neil will always find ways to bash Labour policies, he always comes across as more Tory than anything else. He also has some really weird takes, he tries to claim Jan 6th 2021 in the US wasn’t an attempted insurrection or something like that. 

...but it won't just be him asking how Labour plans to pay for stuff.

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I happily avoid the Sun newspaper, I was a Liverpool fan at the time of Hillsborough but drifted to my local team (Wrexham) as I got older.

Some people choose to buy the sun and that’s up to them, these people also have a right to political representation and in some seats may make a difference. I see little to be gained in telling all sun voters to vote Tory.

To me what will benefit both sun readers and the people of Liverpool the most is a labour government. I am pretty apathetic about what paper Starmer (or other labour MP) writes in, I just won’t read if I don’t like the paper, in fact I probably won’t read if I do!

Yeah I agree with this. The thing that will help people the most is a Labour government/the Tories out of power so if Starmer writing in The Sun will convince some people then it’s fair enough.

Labour politicians have done things similar in the past, Dianne Abbott wrote a piece in The Sun many years ago and Corbyn was pictured carrying the paper whilst he was leader too. So it’s nothing new and is just Starmer trying to appeal to as broader amount of people as he can. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...but it won't just be him asking how Labour plans to pay for stuff.

Yeah indeed. Labours main policies have been costed and they will announce their main tax plans in their manifesto, he knows that though but that doesn’t stop him stirring. It shows why Labour need to be careful when announcing policies. 

27 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

As far as I can work out, you want Labour to do precisely nothing in power.

I want labour to try to do what they've said, I just don't expect it to go easy and don't expect it to always work out well.

It feels like we are lining up for the most technocratic government ever when you read things like the ex-BOE governor endorsement and the power labour are hanging to the OBR.

I read things from similar organisations and I think Starmer will get some sort of honeymoon period from the left of the party because the Tories are out but I think he's going to have his work cut out or need to be lucky:

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has urged governments to raise taxes or slash spending to stop debt spiralling out of control as balancing the books becomes harder in a world of high interest rates.

It warned that Chancellor Jeremy Hunt was not on course to meet its promise of slashing borrowing to below 3pc of GDP by 2028, adding that debt interest payments were likely to account for around half of the UK’s borrowing needs going forward.

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, lost said:

It feels like we are lining up for the most technocratic government ever when you read things like the ex-BOE governor endorsement and the power labour are hanging to the OBR.

I read things from similar organisations and I think Starmer will get some sort of honeymoon period from the left of the party because the Tories are out but I think he's going to have his work cut out or need to be lucky:

come on, keep the faith..it's going to be awesome. Highest growth in the G7.

(although growth is bad, keep forgetting about that)