news & politics:discussion

zahidf

48 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah indeed. Labours main policies have been costed and they will announce their main tax plans in their manifesto.

But have they been costed? If so, how? It will take much more than abolishing the Non-Dom status and charging 20% VAT of private school fees. That hardly scratches the surface.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

...but it won't just be him asking how Labour plans to pay for stuff.

£21 billion lost to fraud under the Tories would make a good start:

https://news.sky.com/story/21bn-of-taxpayer-money-lost-in-fraud-by-government-since-pandemic-began-says-spending-watchdog-12845271

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/tackling-fraud-and-corruption-against-government-summary.pdf

13 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

But have they been costed? If so, how? It will take much more than abolishing the Non-Dom status and charging 20% VAT of private school fees. That hardly scratches the surface.

that will happen in the manifesto...and their costing will be based on future growth projections that the IFS will laugh their tits off at.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

come on, keep the faith..it's going to be awesome. Highest growth in the G7.

(although growth is bad, keep forgetting about that)

If Labour are going to build all those houses growth is assured.

26 minutes ago, stuie said:

Agreed, and great if they can do it, but it will take years to re-coup and probably only a fraction of the money lost. Labour will need the funds pretty much as soon as they get into power. 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

you can win those voters without supporting the scum . 

I don’t see writing the article as supporting the sun, it’s not like people will buy the paper in droves because of an article from Starmer. It’s a way of getting a message out to voters and I support giving the people an opportunity to read that message. The alternative is they only read the Tory message, I don’t see much benefit in that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t see writing the article as supporting the sun, it’s not like people will buy the paper in droves because of an article from Starmer. It’s a way of getting a message out to voters and I support giving the people an opportunity to read that message. The alternative is they only read the Tory message, I don’t see much benefit in that.

without content these things don't exist .... Although tbf the scum would likely make something up 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Will never get tax money in if HMRC can't deal with tax queries been in phone 70 minutes so far.

eventually got sorted - got my tax penalties cancelled, and (cos i'm no longer a company director) removed from the list for doing tax returns in future.

Edited by Neil

The scum is a shocking tabloid and most of us who are well versed in politics give it a wide berth due to their scummy behaviour. However they do have a large readership especially amongst the less informed members of the electorate. 

I imagine if you made a Venn diagram of Brexit voters and Scum readers it would be a circle.

As much as we all hate the paper they have a large reach. It’s not Starmer supporting the Scum, it’s an article that is now showing that large proportion of the electorate that there is an alternative to voting for the Tories.

The fact that they actually wanted a piece from Starmer in there pretty much confirms the media bias is now swinging in favour of Labour. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Will never get tax money in if HMRC can't deal with tax queries been in phone 70 minutes so far.

Haha, I don't miss my days of dealing with them. Doesn't help that a lot of their explanations online are vague and "to be interpreted in the spirit they were intended."

12 minutes ago, cellar said:

Haha, I don't miss my days of dealing with them. Doesn't help that a lot of their explanations online are vague and "to be interpreted in the spirit they were intended."

think i'll never have to deal with them again, - told them i'm signed off work for the rest of my existence.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Can relate. I’ve given up for today… will try again tomorrow 😂IMG_0343.thumb.png.6cfdc2b3f4c7106e3bdbd2d685ab6ac1.png