news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

the BBC is getting sh*t for calling it violence and not terrorism.

If you read the article you'll see that the BBC are completely correct in not using the "terrorism" word.

Personally I've always had a problem with it's use anyway. Whether an act is "terrorism" or not is entirely decided by the more powerful entity involved and is therefore subjective.

It's a political tool.

Why were the USA never labeled as "terrorists" for going into Iraq?

Edited by Skip997
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

If you read the article you'll see that the BBC are completely correct in not using the "terrorism" word.

Personally I've always had a problem with it's use anyway. Whether an act is "terrorism" or not is entirely decided by the more powerful entity involved and is therefore subjective.

It's a political tool.

And the U.K. 

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's a political tool.

Apologies for quoting myself, but here's an example

'Three terrorists killed in southern Israel' - IDF

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) have put out an update saying troops in southern Israel "identified a number of vehicles with terrorists in", close to Kibbutz Nir Am.

A tank "fired at them and killed three terrorists", the IDF said.

IDF soldiers are now carrying out more searches in the area, the force says.

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I don't think nation states are ever labelled as terrorists are they?

Just now, Skip997 said:

Apologies for quoting myself, but here's an example

'Three terrorists killed in southern Israel' - IDF

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) have put out an update saying troops in southern Israel "identified a number of vehicles with terrorists in", close to Kibbutz Nir Am.

A tank "fired at them and killed three terrorists", the IDF said.

IDF soldiers are now carrying out more searches in the area, the force says.

I mean when you see what Hamas have done they are kind of terrorists.

Interesting question, what is the difference between war and terroism:

‘War tends to be more widespread and the destruction is likely to be more devastating because a war is often waged by states with armies and huge arsenals of weapons at their disposal. Terrorist groups rarely have the professional or financial resources possessed by states.‘

https://www.coe.int/en/web/compass/war-and-terrorism#:~:text=War tends to be more,financial resources possessed by states.

One definition is that terrorism will kill innocent people direct to affect others while an act of war won’t aim to kill innocents. 

Judging by the number of military aircraft flying around here in the last couple of days, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get involved in bombing Gaza at some point.

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

Judging by the number of military aircraft flying around here in the last couple of days, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get involved in bombing Gaza at some point.

Can't see myself.

It would be a ridiculous and dangerous move re worldwide politics and the potential for escalation.

The most I can see the UK doing is supplying weapons.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Can't see myself.

It would be a ridiculous and dangerous move re worldwide politics and the potential for escalation.

The most I can see the UK doing is supplying weapons.

It could be a vote winner for Rishi. Avenging the deaths of British nationals would go down well in some quarters.

26 minutes ago, Neil said:

yeah, imagine something like this had kicked off when corbyn was leader.

I actually think that was ones of the things that did for Corbyn between the two elections. Wasn't it the Salisbury Novichok attack when asked what he'd do he said we couldn't be sure it was Putin so we should send him a sample and ask him if it was Russian?

9 minutes ago, lost said:

I actually think that was ones of the things that did for Corbyn between the two elections. Wasn't it the Salisbury Novichok attack when asked what he'd do he said we couldn't be sure it was Putin so we should send him a sample and ask him if it was Russian?

Yeah that really did a number on his polling, before that he was doing fairly well coming off the 2017 election. 

My big bro who is proper lefty f**king hates Israel and USA and says US is controlled by Jewish lobby and it was all a scam with the antisemitism stuff with Corbyn and maybe Jews do control all the money and that Israel and US did 9/11 so they could invade Afghanistan and Iraq. I can't talk to him anymore without getting into an argument as I guess I have become a neolib centrist zionist.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Yeah that really did a number on his polling, before that he was doing fairly well coming off the 2017 election. 

sometimes that lot were so f**king stupid. McDonnell (who I much prefer to Corbyn) saying that Churchill was a villain...I mean hello?!, you want to win over the public with that?