news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, steviewevie said:

how is Israel of use to the west?

Surely what would be useful to the west is a peaceful middle east.

As some sort of weird ideological buffer vs the "evil" Muslims.

If the west had any interest in a peaceful middle east then they make a serious attempt to sort it out. Starting with actually following through on the massive number of UN resolutions on Israel (which I believe are the most against any country).

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

As some sort of weird ideological buffer vs the "evil" Muslims.

If the west had any interest in a peaceful middle east then they make a serious attempt to sort it out. Starting with actually following through on the massive number of UN resolutions on Israel (which I believe are the most against any country).

I really don't think that is it. There was a concerted effort to get a two state solution in the 90s, they almost got there too. The west wants a peaceful region. No doubt it wants a west friendly region too...more Saudi Arabia than Iran...but a destabilised middle east is not good for the world, and I'm not sure Israel acting as they have been helps with that.

18 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Either they are supporting that, or they are too thick to understand that that is the consequence of unconditional support for a regime who are motivated by that ambition and their response to last week’s atrocities is guided by that.

Speaking of thick.. you talk of fairytales and yet you appear to believe that the is a disney film, good vs evil. The situation over there is as messy as it gets. I’m simply saying that the best outcome - a resolution to the conflict and a minimisation of human suffering now and start to the negotiations for the final form of the region and the gradual and difficult process of reconciliation - is incompatible with a stance of unconditional support for the Israeli government. Which appears to be the stance for many in the west, including the Labour party. And indeed has been for years, as simply ignoring the apartheid of recent decades has legitimised it and makes the west complicit in the current disastrous humanitarian crisis.

Love the mental gymnastics you go through to justify your support for baby killers. 

Israel was not set up as some sort of buffer against the muslims...that is just conspiracy nonsense. It was set up following a zionist movement and a call for a Jewish state in Palestine (or anywhere for some) where Jews could be safe after centuries of increasing antisemitism, persecutions and pogroms and culminating in the holocaust where most european jews were killed. Trouble is it is surrounded by countries who never agreed to its existence, and the disaplacement and oppression of Palestinans that have followed. Maybe they should have created it in Uganda.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

234e55a3-e073-4901-8473-f1f8031c1891.png

I could post far more horrific images of actions committed by the other side but trust me once you’ve seen them you can’t unsee them so I’m not going to put anyone else through that. 

Religion is a poison. The world will be better off without it. 

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Love the mental gymnastics you go through to justify your support for baby killers. 

Yes its an issue that requires exercising of the mind. I am sorry that your brain is apparently incapable of both thinking and breathing at the same time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

I could post far more horrific images of actions committed by the other side but trust me once you’ve seen them you can’t unsee them so I’m not going to put anyone else through that. 

Thanks

I really don't want to see them.

36 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This isn't about religion. its about a long persecuted people needing to feel safe.

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

This isn't about religion. its about a long persecuted people needing to feel safe.

Its the photos of the 90 odd year old Holocaust survivors murdered that really hit home for me. Less than a life time before its happened again.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Man, the sh*t on here, and everywhere. What Hamas did is bad. What Israel is doing now in Gaza is bad. Both can be true.

Of course all of these these actions are bad, but the overarching problem for the last 50 years is that this is a one-sided fight. 

And I've heard a few people with the "This is just two people fighting about who's fairy tale is true" line. It doesn't sound as clever as they think it does, and is incredibly reductive.

34 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Where are the international calls for a Palestinian homeland?

there's been a lot of them over years, a lot rejected by those Palestinians. Its understandable that they don't want to accept the loss of land, but they should also try to reconcile some realities in their minds.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

it's all bubbling away...Russia/Ukraine/Europe, China/Taiwan/Japn/US, and now middle east, as well as other flashpoints in Kosovo/Serbia and Armenia/Azerbaijan.....getting ready to blow.

its good that the USA and UK  have positioned themselves to deter Iran from getting involved. cos that's a bit of land that's geographically central to all of those others.

(question is, shall i go for some cake, prolly not: need to watch my sugar intake).

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yea they are.

But that's the UK governments choice. I don't know, but are any other governments labelled as a terrorist group by the UK?

possibly Iran, maybe Russia