news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

These are the 2 opinion pieces for comparison. I hope its the first one because the second one is no solution to anything.

What happens after Israel invades Gaza? There’s no clear exit plan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/6679a02a-6ebf-11ee-b0f3-053d83492f27?shareToken=5b026229b41df1836182e853ab116049

Israel’s endgame is to push Palestinians into Egypt – and the west is cheering it on

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/20/israel-palestinians-egypt-west-bombs-rafah-border-crossing

here's one...Israel are doing what Hamas want...

5 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

You post this on a forum post where 90% of the people posting clearly aren't contributing much to the country being better wasting time posting on here all day 😛 

are they gp's who don't see patients or posties that don't deliver letter's?

5 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Clearly a well educated people

yep, highest proportion of qualified doctors in the world.

they might as well get educated as they're denied useful jobs.

6 hours ago, Neil said:

lots of people predicted he was a winner.  looks like he's going to be - record results is a surprise cos he's charisma-free .

I think after the personality of Boris and madness of Truss the electorate just want competent and sensible. Sunak probably fits the latter, but tarnished by the Tory brand. I think Starmer is a clever politician and it wasn’t easy to get through the Corbyn years. Look at the likes of Chuka and Burnham, more charismatic but couldn’t get themselves in the position.

5 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

You post this on a forum post where 90% of the people posting clearly aren't contributing much to the country being better wasting time posting on here all day 😛 

We are making everything better by doing it surely Barry 😃

Some might say better have them in here than f**king up things in the real world

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I guess the past links the present and the future. I am certain Starmers approach with this would be slightly different if Jez hadn’t come first.

Surely no one is surprised that the former Labour leader is mentioned in a thread about politics?

So HS2 was cancelled to Manchester. Avanti who run a piss poor service have their contract renewed for 9 years and today announce  cuts to that service.https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/20/avanti-west-coast-cut-services-december-rail-train

Also transpennine, publically owned, are cutting their services between Manchester and Leeds. 

Is this levelling up?

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Err..is that like a win?

Its a big L for those who sought to use the tug of war over responsibility for that tragedy to make a sh*tty, or as Ozanne likes to call it a ’bad faith’, attempt to paint those who expressed shock and dismay over the apparent bombing of a hospital as somehow being a sign of their prejudice. Even levelling the same accusations at the BBC and talking of ‘dark forces’. And for what? It did absolutely nothing to advance the discussion. Even if it was Hamas and not the Israeli govt, it is not a sign of antisemitism that people would assume that it was the Israeli govt at first glance given that the news had only been about bombs falling on Gaza all week.

These were posts unconcerned with the discussion about the bombing of a hospital, and unconcerned with the accuracy of the reporting. They were designed to provoke a reaction- as attached. Imagine using the that tragedy for a bit of sport on a forum. Sick.

So yeah, I’m calling it out and giving them a bit of sh*t back to them that they duly deserve.

IMG_0844.jpeg

IMG_0845.jpeg

Edited by mattiloy

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Its a big L for those who sought to use the tug of war over responsibility for that tragedy to make a sh*tty, or as Ozanne likes to call it a ’bad faith’, attempt to paint those who expressed shock and dismay over the apparent bombing of a hospital as somehow being a sign of their prejudice. Even levelling the same accusations at the BBC and talking of ‘dark forces’. And for what? It did absolutely nothing to advance the discussion. Even if it was Hamas and not the Israeli govt, it is not a sign of antisemitism that people would assume that it was the Israeli govt at first glance given that the news had only been about bombs falling on Gaza all week.

These were posts unconcerned with the discussion about the bombing of a hospital, and unconcerned with the accuracy of the reporting. They were designed to provoke a reaction. Imagine using the that tragedy for a bit of sport on a forum. Sick.

So yeah, I’m calling it outIt and giving them a bit of sh*t back to them that they duly deserve.

People were just saying that accusations shouldn't be thrown round when we don't actually know for sure... especially in this case when can ignite a wider conflict.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

People were just saying that accusations shouldn't be thrown round when we don't actually know for sure... especially in this case when can ignite a wider conflict.

I know that I was saying that. And I remember you saying that. Read what they wrote. They were attributing it to Hamas as soon as those reliable sources the IDF and US affiliated military thinktanks suggested it was them and then finished by insinuating that those who had assumed that it was the Israeli govt (again, not an unfair assumption) had ulterior motives (read antisemitism- particularly in Ozanne’s later posts talking of sinister/dark forces). Provocative, unnecessary and mean spirited.

Edited by mattiloy

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah that’s what I meant, when the situation was as sensitive as it was then it’s always wise to wait for independent verification of facts before jumping to label one side guilty.

I still think it was an unfair assumption to assume one side was guilty when we had little information either way. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah that’s what I meant, when the situation was as sensitive as it was then it’s always wise to wait for independent verification of facts before jumping to label one side guilty.

I still think it was an unfair assumption to assume one side was guilty when we had little information either way. 

Squirm as much as you like. We see you.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

im still waiting for your apology for calling me racist ? or if it wasn't me the apology to whoever it was , Ive been absent from this thread because of it . its not something ill forget in a hurry when pretty much all of my posts including a donation link have been posted from a humanitarian perspective and both sides in the conflict . Its a very serious allegation to make against someone / persons 

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Maybe they are fake "colleges" like in the Uk so people can get a visa and register and can then work? 😉

no, cos along withn the eight uni's there's also a (fake?) college.

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Some might say better have them in here than f**king up things in the real world

too true, just imagine how much barry would be f**king up!

• Upvote 1