news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Haha it’s starting. Let’s have more of these in. 

don't think there's advantage to labour - and only danger - from another change in tory leader.

labour are well ahead, it might change with the right tory leader(no idea who that could be tho) - but i'm not sure how the public would react and vote for braverman's ideas in full. 😞 

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

don't think there's advantage to labour - and only danger - from another change in tory leader.

labour are well ahead, it might change with the right tory leader(no idea who that could be tho) - but i'm not sure how the public would react and vote for braverman's ideas in full. 😞 

I want to see it for the entertainment aspect, would be chaos. 

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

In fairness to Corbyn he believes what he believes, but that interview shoes why he would have been a terrible PM.

i didn't need to see that interview to join the dots up, i knew that before seeing his response to the Salisbury poisonings. 

i just had a thought after hearing humza on the radio, is the PR  list system, Scotland's house of lords? -  where the old and discredited get to keep on riding the gravy train.

another slow on the uptake thing (and not new info). i've just seen a news story that confirms barry manilow is gay, i didn't know for sure until seeing that. but he always set my gaydar off.

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

In fairness to Corbyn he believes what he believes, but that interview shoes why he would have been a terrible PM.

I didn’t need to watch it to know how much of a shitshow the interview would be. 

There was something seriously wrong with anyone who thought he could have ever been a viable leader of the country. 

Has any other politician done more damage to a country without actually being in power? 

28 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not sure what you mean. I would say that only lasting damage from Corbyn is Starmer over doing it to try and prove Labour has changed.

We’ll go back to 2016, Brexit referendum. There was a severe lack of opposition to Brexit from Labour led by eurosceptic Corbyn. A different opposition leader then would have actually presented an actual alternative to Brexit and the shitshow we are in wouldn’t have started. It was a narrow vote which could have easily gone the other way if we had an opposition that actually opposed the government. 

Post Brexit ref, Labour completely unelectable to the point where the Tories knew they couldn’t lose so they put in Boris Spaffer Johnson in as leader. Would the Tories have taken that same gamble against an electable leader?

Corbyn was up against a literal clown and lost to a landslide. If Labour had a sensible leader then they could have won that election instead of the country voting for anyone but Corbyn. 

You then have to wonder about Labours response to Covid, you certainly wouldn’t have the PPE scandal and the billions siphoned off to friends of Tories. That would certainly have an impact on cost of living. 

Now going into the unknown and major what if territory. If Brexit didn’t happen then the global butterfly effect doesn’t happen as it did. The whole Russian Brexit interference doesn’t work so perhaps the same tactics aren’t used in the US and if other factors come into play there, then there could have been a very different US president not so friendly with Putin. 

The world would be a very different place right now. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

We’ll go back to 2016, Brexit referendum. There was a severe lack of opposition to Brexit from Labour led by eurosceptic Corbyn. A different opposition leader then would have actually presented an actual alternative to Brexit and the shitshow we are in wouldn’t have started. It was a narrow vote which could have easily gone the other way if we had an opposition that actually opposed the government. 

Post Brexit ref, Labour completely unelectable to the point where the Tories knew they couldn’t lose so they put in Boris Spaffer Johnson in as leader. Would the Tories have taken that same gamble against an electable leader?

Corbyn was up against a literal clown and lost to a landslide. If Labour had a sensible leader then they could have won that election instead of the country voting for anyone but Corbyn. 

You then have to wonder about Labours response to Covid, you certainly wouldn’t have the PPE scandal and the billions siphoned off to friends of Tories. That would certainly have an impact on cost of living. 

Now going into the unknown and major what if territory. If Brexit didn’t happen then the global butterfly effect doesn’t happen as it did. The whole Russian Brexit interference doesn’t work so perhaps the same tactics aren’t used in the US and if other factors come into play there, then there could have been a very different US president not so friendly with Putin. 

The world would be a very different place right now. 

ok...well there's a whole bunch of what ifs with all that. Would the referendum gone a different way with a different labour leader, who knows.? Maybe, I expect not actually, but maybe. I do think it's unfair blaming Corbyn for that brexit result though.

I don't think anyone could have beaten Johnson and his get brexit done message in 2019.

The rest of what you say is all hypotheticals.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't think anyone could have beaten Johnson and his get brexit done message in 2019.

His bluster was hard to beat. Making him leader was a gamble but you saw how quickly his bluster was defeated once he actually faced a competent opposition leader. The Tories wouldn’t have selected Spaffer to go up against Starmer. As shown we all know the winner there.