news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think it’s going to make much of an impact at all. People have been claiming for ages that Starmer is under massive pressure yet barely anything has happened with Labour. Starmer could sack them and that would be it.

I suspect tomorrow will be more about the Supreme Court’s ruling on the Rwanda scheme. 

I agree and the truth is Israel/Hamas is a much bigger deal on twitter than it is to the average voter. The average voter also wouldn’t give a crap if labour frontbenchers they have never heard of quit.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

SNP can put in amendments with full knowledge that they will have zero influences at any stage in terms of peace negotiations. Starmer will potentially be dealing with Israel in a year so very different dynamic.

yeah but that doesn't matter, they just want to damage labour as much as poss.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I agree and the truth is Israel/Hamas is a much bigger deal on twitter than it is to the average voter. The average voter also wouldn’t give a crap if labour frontbenchers they have never heard of quit.

I don't know, it's all over the news. I mean for many the top issue in their lives will be cost of living or whatever, but still you can't avoid the news of injured screaming children being pulled out of collapsed buildings or whatever...it's a massive global event, like Russia/Ukraine, like 9/11, like the Ethiopian famine in the 80s, it may be outside this country but it will still affect many people...and especially with this one everyone has an opinion and it seems like you need to pick a side.

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I’m pretty sure people will be more interested in the outcome of the Rwanda case and any fallout from that/Braverman antics than whether Labour MPs all voted together.

The media might try to make a bigger deal than it is but so far it hasn’t had much of an impact at all. 

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

You would hope Scottish voters would see right through SNP games but they have proved to incapable of this for so many years now.  

If you take a look at wings over Scotland you can read all about how the SNP have betrayed Scotland and the indie cause. And don't deserve anyone's vote.

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

3, welcome to the war that Hamas kicked off.   Its an horrific thing war.  Maybe if people like you didn't defend them we could unite against Hamas and wipe them from the earth and actually help the people 

Israeli (as in the government) have no interest or intention to help Palestinians.

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Israeli (as in the government) have no interest or intention to help Palestinians.

Only because they fear a bordering Palestinian state. It would always be throwing bombs over the border, much like happens from the current enclaves. 

• Upvote 1

about half a mile from me a big tower block has been evacuated of 400 people  tonight over safety fears - this comes a day after another  bristol tower block was told its top floor needs to be knocked down, the failure of local councils to inspect new buildings comply with building regs goes on and on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-bristol-67421318

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know, it's all over the news. I mean for many the top issue in their lives will be cost of living or whatever, but still you can't avoid the news of injured screaming children being pulled out of collapsed buildings or whatever...it's a massive global event, like Russia/Ukraine, like 9/11, like the Ethiopian famine in the 80s, it may be outside this country but it will still affect many people...and especially with this one everyone has an opinion and it seems like you need to pick a side.

People took interest in Russia/Ukraine for a few weeks and then lost interest. You say everyone has an opinion, I think most don’t spend anytime thinking about it, nor do they probably watch the news. I think it will only impact on a tiny proportion of votes.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It was built in the 1950s ? 

true, i wasn't thinking that, but the other bristol block is about building regs, from when its been revamped. grenfell was about building regs too.

Edited by Neil

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

People took interest in Russia/Ukraine for a few weeks and then lost interest. You say everyone has an opinion, I think most don’t spend anytime thinking about it, nor do they probably watch the news. I think it will only impact on a tiny proportion of votes.

I mean you can say that about anything then. Most haven't heard of flights to Rwanda or Braverman or Starmer etc.

For weeks we’ve been told that this crises will cause major issues for Starmer yet still polling shows 20 point Labour leads and nothing has happened. Here we are again, people are saying at this latest stage it’ll cause major issues for Starmer and I’m sure this time will be different!

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

For weeks we’ve been told that this crises will cause major issues for Starmer yet still polling shows 20 point Labour leads and nothing has happened. Here we are again, people are saying at this latest stage it’ll cause major issues for Starmer and I’m sure this time will be different!

I think the kipper/Tory attack on starmer will be about saville.

23 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah, well tories keep having their own crises.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, well tories keep having their own crises.

Or maybe people aren’t as invested in whether Labour will call for a ceasefire as you are and don’t really think it’s a Labour issue.

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sadly this is Matthew Goodwin’s polling company so can’t really be taken seriously. It is fun though. 

For GB News though? Can’t be right?