news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Western powers increasingly uneasy over Israeli actions

James Landale

Diplomatic correspondent

Finally the tide is starting to turn.

surely it has to come soon. They have destroyed that hospital that they said was on top of a Hamas command base, but their evidence of any base being there is flimsy to say the least. Millions of Palestinans are now said to be close to starving. So, if their intelligence is duff they're not going to destroy Hamas anyway, they have been played, they will not get their hostages back, and they will kill/injure/displace a huge amount of innocent Palestinians and in long term Israel will never be secure again.  Wanting revenge is understandable, but this is another level.

• Like 3

I guess the smart move for the Tories would be to now push for a ceasefire which would split Labour even further between what seems like the majority of their supporters and their Jewish counterparts. I think Starmer has really f**ked up here. Not a good look for a future PM.

So tax cuts which will inevitably mean restricted funding for public services and cutting benefits. Tories being Tories. More than ever we need a Labour government, a general election can’t come soon enough!

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Benefits being squeezed, hideous but totally on brand for the Tories. 

I think they have more money to play with, and they would argue that benefits cuts are trying and get people back to work,but does seem cruel...and inheritance tax cut is only nice for wealthy people.

Still, election to come next year, so likely more of this sort of thing next April.

8 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I guess the smart move for the Tories would be to now push for a ceasefire which would split Labour even further between what seems like the majority of their supporters and their Jewish counterparts. I think Starmer has really f**ked up here. Not a good look for a future PM.

It's difficult, he can't win no matter what with this one...but yes could have handled better. Good practice though!

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think they have more money to play with, and they would argue that benefits cuts are trying and get people back to work,but does seem cruel...and inheritance tax cut is only nice for wealthy people.

Still, election to come next year, so likely more of this sort of thing next April.

and in the end this is to keep fed up Tory back benches happy, and maybe Hunt trying to keep his job.

Tories always seem to do a good job in coming together and showing a united front in the lead up to an election, Labour less so...People's Front of Judea and all that. It's a tough job being leader of the Labour party, I wouldn't like to do it (even though I know I'd be really good at it). Cost of living, the state of public services, and chaos of last few years will probably do it for the Tories this time round, but it isn't nailed on..all those Don't Knows in those polls...what they going to do? But at moment the big poll lead for Labour does look pretty stable.

59 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Why are you trying to argue their point of view for them?

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Am I? Oh whoops...tax cutting benefit cutting Tory scum. Better?

Cuts to benefits hurt disabled people especially as they might be able to go back into work as easily as other. So cutting benefits is a pretty reprehensible thing to do when they are doing it to try to win an election.