news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I mean the real enemy are the conservatives. If people on the left bash starmer enough then the only beneficiaries are the torys.

So we should just accept everything Starmer says as correct and never challenge it, because he's Labour? 

It's not like this thread is full of positive Tory sentiment, is it? I'm more concerned with how Labour act than I am the Tories. That's understandable, surely?

52 minutes ago, cellar said:

So we should just accept everything Starmer says as correct and never challenge it, because he's Labour?

I think there's one person on here who would agree with that statement wholeheartedly.

34 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If someone never criticises the Tories, only Labour, then you can understand why another would think they support the Tories. 

... and if someone never criticises Labour and their leader, then you can understand why another would think they were somewhat blinkered in their views.

55 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If someone never criticises the Tories, only Labour, then you can understand why another would think they support the Tories. 

I guess so, but if that person has criticised Tories in this same thread, and has explicitly explained their reasoning for criticising Labour, maybe another would have a different opinion.

2 hours ago, cellar said:

It's not like this thread is full of positive Tory sentiment, is it? I'm more concerned with how Labour act than I am the Tories. That's understandable, surely?

I think posters on here are not going to have any significant impact on the general election. However you do get political commentator like Owen Jones who criticise Starmer way more than Sunak. Maybe from his perspective he gets more likes/retweets and makes more money doing this. I don’t however think it does anything to make a labour government more likely.

There is an element of the labour left who would be happy if labour were an opposition party forever. You can constantly take the popular left wing line, have people chant your name In Glastonbury and never have to make a single tough decision.  If your middle class you will probably be ok with a Tory government.

Starmer is willing to be less popular if it means a labour government is more likely and I think that’s true leadership. He may not get it right (nobody does ) all the time, but I think his heart is in the right place and is in it for the right reasons.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Corbyn has now labelled Hamas a terrorist group. I'm sure that news is reverberating throughout the middle east.

too late, starmer has said he's finished as a labour MP, he'll have to live it up on his million-pound pension.

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Labour lead down to 13 pts

It's just below the average for the last few Opinium polls. Highest has been 17 and lowest 10, so pretty much in-line.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

too late, starmer has said he's finished as a labour MP, he'll have to live it up on his million-pound pension.

... while sat inside his million pound house.

On 11/15/2023 at 10:18 PM, squirrelarmy said:

It’s just impossible posturing in order to keep pandering to the racists in the country. 

You can’t stop immigration especially to an island nation like ourselves which has depended on immigration since before we were even a unified country. 

If he really wanted to stop dangerous illegal crossings then contact to certified canadian immigration consultant list in dubai to make it easier to allow legal migration. 

He's simply postponing the inevitable as he has no solution in mind. The obvious outcome is an agreement with France, processing centers in France, and the establishment of secure and legal migration routes, but this would not appeal to the Tory base.

Edited by barwaydixen