news & politics:discussion

zahidf

42 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The Rwanda thing is a bit embarrassing really but it does call out the "asylum seekers" for what they mostly are.  If you was genuinely fleeing persecution you would just want to be safe which Rwanda would offer.  The reality is a vast chunk of them are just economic migrants who will be a drain on our system.  

Maybe they are fleeing persecution but would also like some prospects of being able to build a life.

Process them and let them work. 

We have a long history of economic migrants being good for this country. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

The Rwanda thing is a bit embarrassing really but it does call out the "asylum seekers" for what they mostly are.  If you was genuinely fleeing persecution you would just want to be safe which Rwanda would offer.  The reality is a vast chunk of them are just economic migrants who will be a drain on our system.  

Economic migrants largely come to the UK to work. They arrive seeking gainful employment, and the UK's economy gains from their arrivals. Their applications take months and often years to process because the Tory's processing system is not fit for purpose, and all the while they receive minimal financial support and are not allowed to work.

If there is an economic drain, it's not because of the numbers of asylum seekers (which make up a tiny proportion of new arrivals in Britain), it's because the system is incapable of processing their claims efficiently. That said, around 75% of asylum claims are granted protection early on.

Since you disagree, I'd be interested to read the official sources and statistics which substantiate your claims. Please do share.

Edited by kalifire

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

that famed safe haven of ...... Rwanda 

Not that I agree with the policy its actually safer than alot of the west.

Murder rate per 100,000 people:

Rwanda 2.5

USA 5.4

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Rwanda 2.5

USA 5.4

Come on now, let’s not do this. 

Deporting 200 migrants to Rwanda isn’t going to do anything to ‘stop the boats’, it’s just going to endanger more people. The Tories think they can trick people into believing they are solving the issue. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Deporting 200 migrants to Rwanda isn’t going to do anything to ‘stop the boats’, it’s just going to endanger more people. The Tories think they can trick people into believing they are solving the issue. 

It worked for Albanians. Very few coming over the channel now apparently.

Sorry for disagreeing with you. It seems that's not allowed on here any more.

Just now, Ommadawn said:

Sorry for disagreeing with you. It seems that's not allowed on here any more.

So, to clarify you are supporting the Rwanda scheme?

15 minutes ago, lost said:

Rwanda 2.5

USA 5.4

So we should just accept that statistic on face value, probably from the Rwandan government?

7 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Nothing to do with winter? 

"Sea has frozen over... that must mean Rishi's stopped the boats!"

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

So we should just accept that statistic on face value, probably from the Rwandan government?

When i visted Nyungwe National Park it appeared to be an upcoming country. i know most of twitter seems to think if you go anywhere near Africa the locals will put you in the pot but believe me there are some great parts.

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So, to clarify you are supporting the Rwanda scheme?

Not quite sure how you read that in my post but obviously not. Just saying that it could work that's all. That doesn't mean I support it.

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Nothing to do with winter? 

"Sea has frozen over... that must mean Rishi's stopped the boats!"

The 2 schemes are different, with the Albania deal we return Albanians to Albania. Whereas with the Rwanda deal it will be migrants from a 3rd country deported to Rwanda.

The 2 schemes are different, with the Albania deal we return Albanians to Albania. Whereas with the Rwanda deal it will be migrants from a 3rd country deported to Rwanda.

Sure, I get that.  I was responding to the number of Albanian's arriving on small boats has dropped lately.

Just now, Ommadawn said:

Not quite sure how you read that in my post but obviously not. Just saying that it could work that's all. That doesn't mean I support it.

You literally said ‘sorry for disagreeing’ against a post that criticises the scheme.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sure, I get that.  I was responding to the number of Albanian's arriving on small boats has dropped lately.

Oh yeah I know, I meant it as another example of why the comparison between the schemes doesn’t work.

Edited by Ozanne

You literally said ‘sorry for disagreeing’ against a post that criticises the scheme.

I was being sarcastic as you appear to be rushing to the Mods lately. I'm disappointed it was lost on you.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Albanians were coming from a safe country. This scheme is for those coming from an unsafe country like Syria, Afghanistan, Iran, Eritrea etc. So there was a deal with Albania where they would get sent straight back (I think).

Yeah thats it. The comparison was completely wrong in the first place.

Ultimately the Rwanda deal won’t do anything to help and is taking people from 3rd countries and sending them to a country that potentially isn’t safe (according to the SC).