news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

What happens when a poster is one driving people away from the site? Hypothetically speaking of course.

Lmao. He says without a hint of irony. Old fishy bollocks’ posts are just about the only variation in what would otherwise be an endless stream of dreary centrist twitter reposts. If there is anybody guilty of stinking out this thread then you probably want to take a good hard look in the mirror.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Almost as if they had plenty of meetings today to make sure they got the number they wanted 

Tories will always be cowards but yeah it was never really in doubt. 22 abstentions means there could be difficulties at Committee Stage but I hold no faith that they will do the right thing.

Sunak is going to use the new asylum rules to create a divide with labour for an election. Reckon that might have been explicitly said today to get potential rebels on side. It's the only chance I can see for the Tories to run an effective election campaign. That might win them some voters

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

Sunak is going to use the new asylum rules to create a divide with labour for an election. Reckon that might have been explicitly said today to get potential rebels on side. It's the only chance I can see for the Tories to run an effective election campaign. That might win them some voters

Vote Tory. Stop The Boats!

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

It would if the public didn't think Labour could handle immigration better than the Tories.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Do they ?  This might be misplaced confidence...  Brexit should haunt Labour...  I am not sure much of the red wall have changed their views on immigration. 

He had a big speech today.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/12/12/labour-could-send-illegal-migrants-abroad-to-be-processed/

Small boat migrants could be “diverted” abroad to have their asylum applications decided under a Labour government, Sir Keir Starmer has announced.

The Labour leader said he would look at offshore processing, used by countries such as Australia, in a significant hardening of his stance on border controls.

However, during a speech to mark the fourth anniversary of the 2019 election he insisted “straight deportation schemes” like the Rwanda policy will not work.

“The Rwanda scheme…is a straight deportation scheme in relation to people who have already arrived”, he told reporters at Silverstone race track.

“Other countries around the world do have schemes where they divert people away for processing elsewhere. That’s a different kind of scheme and I’ll look at any scheme that might work.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Do they ?  This might be misplaced confidence...  Brexit should haunt Labour...  I am not sure much of the red wall have changed their views on immigration. 

Listenning to Cooper today id say yeah as this comes across as more than competent , whereas this lot haven't a clue as reflected in the Rwanda and Bibby Stockholm fiascos 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

You think this is better or even remotely different ?

You back this ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/12/12/labour-could-send-illegal-migrants-abroad-to-be-processed/

can't read it because of paywall but judging from the headline no and didn't hear that earlier in Coopers speech .... if it was there I missed it 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Labour feel they have to kill any potential attack from Tory press with an election coming soon...whether it's immigration or tax and spend or being tough on hippy protesters or whatever. It's morally and ethically and everythngelsely sh*t, but probably smart politically (unless it actually isn't).

its that balance between winning votes or turning people off and if they carry things through to policy 

The Labour scheme is essentially processing centres in places like France to process the claims then open up safe routes which is ultimately the best way to stop small boat crossings. The Telegraph article makes it sound worse because it's the Telegraph.