news & politics:discussion

zahidf

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He didn't say in that write up. Could be that the Telegraph are trying to cause issues for Labour and divert from the Tories?

they are saying that he said he would look at these offshore processing thingies...but where did he say that? Was it in an answer to a journalists question? 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they are saying that he said he would look at these offshore processing thingies...but where did he say that? Was it in an answer to a journalists question? 

I don't know where he said it, possibly talking to the media later on in the day?

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don't know where he said it, possibly talking to the media later on in the day?

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't;t really say it at all or it's been twisted. He probably meant opening up processing centres in Northern France.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

So we now know Labour won't reverse the Rwanda policy but simply tinker with it.  Makes sense really.  You don't rip up something like that once it gets going.  People tend to forget.  I am sure migrants coming from France won't give it a second thought and will keep coming regardless.

if they rip it up they have to put their own solution in place if they go with the tory plan they can blame the tories for any flaws.

(i said ages ago that it'll be better for labour if the tories get something in place.

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Did you see Nick Fletchers statement? That was eye opening 

link for those interested https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/26b0dd30-b987-4d9c-8a2b-a6e6915e6019?in=17:17:03

I mean you can make an intellectual argument about immigration, but this bloke clearly doesn’t have the brains. For a start if a kid falls over in the street a plaster will probably help avoid the trip to A&E. Secondly I have worked in the NHS for nearly 20 years and never come across these hospitals where nobody speaks English. It’s odd that these MPs never have any evidence to backup these statements.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

if they rip it up they have to put their own solution in place if they go with the tory plan they can blame the tories for any flaws.

(i said ages ago that it'll be better for labour if the tories get something in place.

Labour have said multiple times that they will scrap the Rwanda scheme.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

if they do they'll need to find a replacement for deporting.

They’ll actually process the claims for a start and either migrants will be allowed in or returned. They won’t waste the money on the Rwanda scheme which will only deport about 100 anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

They’ll actually process the claims for a start and either migrants will be allowed in or returned. They won’t waste the money on the Rwanda scheme which will only deport about 100 anyway. 

returning is often difficult cos they hide where they come from and some countries demand absolute proof to accept  a return.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

currently most are allowed in after processing, labour won't be popular with the anti-immigrant types if continuing with that.

4 hours ago, Neil said:

currently most are allowed in after processing, labour won't be popular with the anti-immigrant types if continuing with that.

I mean it is disputable if Rwanda thingy would have much of an impact anyway, if just sending hundreds over. Maybe it will deter some, don't know. This needs an international resolution, in end might need european countries taking a quota, maybe Starmer will work more closely with France/EU in finding a resolution. If could do that so that those whose asylum is accepted here get safe passage and at same time work with other countries to try and stop the boat gangs, then this could make issue less visible here. Sunak took a big risk with that stop the boats thing, if he'd said he'd reduce by a 3rd per year he'd be onto a winner, but I guess he wanted to keep Braverman and co happy.

With legal migration it is forecast to come down to about net 300/400k anyway, but will always be too high for some. In end need to make a choice, fewer immigrants and we will probably have to be like Japan and work longer and have less growth, or have more migrants working here.