news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Anyway you should watch it, as well as being the thing that everyone is talking about it is actually a well made drama with a really good cast...although Nadhim Zahawi playing himself is a bit weird.

Was that actually him? I thought it looked incredibly like him! 😀

3 hours ago, cellar said:

The funny thing about this conversation thread is that you're actually just proving the original point even more 😅 

I doubt I hold that much sway over you, either way you aren’t being honest. 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

a hung parliament would be with lib dems, not sure if that would make any difference to clean energy policy, may make it more unlikely.

Lib Dems, SDLP, Plaid, SNP, Green, Alliance party, Reform.

Between them they currently account for around a third of the vote in polls and that sway would be huge for more immediate investment (bar Reform) and also a referendum on PR (inc Reform).

A hung parliament with working agreements (not coalition) would do the UK a huge amount of good and things might actually change for the better where as any outright majority means more of the same.

and to anyone who says 'coalitions' do not work - the Tories are a coalition and so are Labour. Several groups formed into one party so they can win under the system we have now.

A hung-Parliament would open up the risk of the government collapsing (especially without the FTPA) and would potentially allow the Tories back in earlier. The would then carry on gutting our public services etc. That doesn’t seem very good for the country.

A Lib-Lab coalition could work but that would still be pretty shaky. 

I would imagine if it was a hung-Parliament and Labour were the largest party then they would become a minority government and essentially dare the other parties to vote down a Kings Speech/budget which would then trigger another election and risk the Tories coming back in. They will probably discuss common interests but that’s about it.

I could see the Greens not having an MP after the next election.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I could see the Greens not having an MP after the next election.

Yet more evidence of the sad state of the electorate in this country.

They're the only party worth voting for.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I would consider voting for them as a 2nd party but they aren’t the only party worth voting for especially if you want the Tories out. 

35 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Lib Dems, SDLP, Plaid, SNP, Green, Alliance party, Reform.

Between them they currently account for around a third of the vote in polls and that sway would be huge for more immediate investment (bar Reform) and also a referendum on PR (inc Reform).

A hung parliament with working agreements (not coalition) would do the UK a huge amount of good and things might actually change for the better where as any outright majority means more of the same.

and to anyone who says 'coalitions' do not work - the Tories are a coalition and so are Labour. Several groups formed into one party so they can win under the system we have now.

Coalition will be based on number of MPs, Greens might get one or two...so will only be SNP/LibDem that could make the difference.

And intra party coalitions is very different to inter party coaltions...but if Labour did get a small majority than their own internal divisions with SCG etc might make things difficult.

I'm not against a coalition at all, just don't think it will be the promised land that everyone thinks.

Anyway, who knows what will happen...if I was to put a bet on now I reckon a November election and Labour win with a majority of about 20 MPs.

1 minute ago, cellar said:

You are incorrect again - trust me, I'm a bit of an expert on the subject 😉

Both can’t be true. 

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

I reckon we'll get another Green in Brighton even without Lucas.

It’ll be tight and they are probably favourites but I think not having Lucas and having the new candidate being parachuted in from London could count against them. Plus they lost Brighton council last year too so it could be tight. 

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

They could do ok percentage wise, but still end up with no seats. Not fair, but that's the way our wonderful electoral system works.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I would consider voting for them as a 2nd party but they aren’t the only party worth voting for especially if you want the Tories out. 

Tory heavy out

Tory lite in

Can't be bothered with the status quo, it's not what this country needs

• Upvote 1

Just now, steviewevie said:

Imagine deciding your vote because you find someone annoying on a forum.

It's so unserious it could almost not be true.