news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Not sure about this it's all the medias fault for Labour changing the policy. They came up with it and shouted it from the rooftops...Reeves and her I'll be the green chancellor speech, and now they are changing it because financial/political reason, but this isn't being driven soley by the media. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Not sure about this it's all the medias fault for Labour changing the policy. They came up with it and shouted it from the rooftops...Reeves and her I'll be the green chancellor speech, and now they are changing it because financial/political reason, but this isn't being driven soley by the media. 

I’ve also said they made a mistake by costing the policy in the first place.

It’s funny that the announcement today is literally just that Labour won’t spend £28b every year which we knew anyway. People were getting so excited for something that isn’t even new. They even say they remain committed to the ideas in the Green Prosperity Plan so hopefully now people can finally move on instead of endlessly moaning about £28b. 

47 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

You're saying:

"do what the media tells them to because the media has an impact"

while also repeatedly saying

"The media is going to attack Labour and let the Tories off"

Either Labour should be playing the media game better than this, or they should be taking a stand against it. I think they're so cautious it's leading to incompetence in messaging. Simultaneously, that incompetence makes them appear as unprincipled.

Out of upvotes

Edited by fred quimby

My old man visited at lunchtime .... never going to vote Labour again on this , fortunately we live in a Lib Dem constituency so wont have the need to . final straw for him today , suggest it might be for others too . Lets see if it impacts the polls 

must admit my vote is wavering. In the end my priority is getting the Tories out, so that would be vote tactically...but I live in a safe labour seat so I could do anything I want really..might vote Reform for the lols. But, I also could vote Green, who won't win where I am...but at least I could say I voted Green. In the end I probably won't, I just want to confirm the removal of the tories...and actually..whisper it...I quite like Starmer, and despite not liking this uturn I think he has explained some of the reasoning quite well.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Is there still a Labour party, as I understand them, to vote for?

Anyway Green Party all the way

I thought what the U.K. does won’t change anything?

So part of the £28bn is actually £10bn pledged by the tories i understand, only heard that today in reports. 

Wonder if they could have used an "on top " figure. 

The growth angle has not been mentioned much in the past few days.

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

So part of the £28bn is actually £10bn pledged by the tories i understand, only heard that today in reports. 

Wonder if they could have used an "on top " figure. 

The growth angle has not been mentioned much in the past few days.

It was £8b so was technically only an extra £20b but the £28b has gone now so it doesn’t matter anyway. 

Edited by Ozanne

46 minutes ago, stuie said:

What about all your past flying holidays? Do they not count?

And I’m not buying the no increase in emissions bit either… why would anyone go and stay on a yacht that’s not going to move at all? 

In a way I don't think they do. Well, they do count towards emissions obviously, but if someone used to do a bad thing, then stopped doing the bad thing, then surely that's a positive? Otherwise no-one would stop doing anything bad. And nothing would change. If you see what I mean. I'm sure we all have stuff we used to do that we've since changed our minds on. Doesn't mean you can't point out that these things might be bad.

TBH I think you're all (Neil included) so determined to argue that you're making points you don't even agree with and tying yourselves in knots.

And for the record, I fly, once or twice a year, nearly always within Europe.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

its driven by the affordability. labour need to spend on more than green?

34 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

My old man visited at lunchtime .... never going to vote Labour again on this , fortunately we live in a Lib Dem constituency so wont have the need to . final straw for him today , suggest it might be for others too . Lets see if it impacts the polls 

won't he and you be pissed off when your council is broke and you've got no services. without spending £28bn a year on green might be able to fund councils.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

its driven by the affordability. labour need to spend on more than green?

The Tories trashed the economy, the BoE put up interests from near zero to over 5% so they can’t justify spending that money now every year. Just another reason why raising interest rates has been a terrible move. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

So you got to go to America but we can’t? Ok got it. I guess I’ll have to go stay on a non moving yacht for some reason then. 

have i told you that yoyu can't, or is it that you've worked out you shouldn't?

me living it up on a billionaire's plaything will create no extra emissions.you encouraging planes to fly will create exta.

Edited by Neil

Just now, Neil said:

won't he and you be pissed off when your council is broke and you've got no services. without spending £28bn a year on green might be able to fund councils.

hell be more pissed off about the future for his grandkids tbh . had the very discussion with him 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

hell be more pissed off about the future for his grandkids tbh . had the very discussion with him 

sounds like he needs to go shout at stuie. 😛