news & politics:discussion

zahidf

31 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We’ll just have to see what the improvements/changes they propose. I can safely say they’ll be better than anything we have now.

not sure UC can be reformed into something better - might be better to scrap it and start again.

31 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I was mainly sharing it as CF said he wanted Starmer to say they’ll improve UC and they have done so that’s good!

defo good 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

not sure UC can be reformed into something better - might be better to scrap it and start again.

defo good 

What would you have that’s different? UBI?

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Question, why can the person this reply is direct to constantly get away with calling people morons and being outright aggressive here? There’s 3 mods in this thread doing nothing about it. 

If I were to give fray a time out for those insults, I'd also give it to you and Neil. There's more than one person throwing the word "moron" around a lot.

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

If I were to give fray a time out for those insults, I'd also give it to you and Neil. There's more than one person throwing the word "moron" around a lot.

I haven’t been abusive or aggressive like those other posts and also haven’t called anyone a ‘moron’. To the best of my knowledge anyway.

If his type of posts are ok then that’s a poor standard for this forum. 

Edited by Ozanne

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I’d say calling someone a Tory isn’t as bad as post after post calling someone dumb or c*nts etc. If you are genuinely ok with that standard of posting then it raises questions about the moderating standards.

I’d happily volunteer to do it if asked. 

I'd rather be a c**t than a Tory.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd rather be a c**t than a Tory.

I haven’t called anyone a Tory this evening but that poster has so what are you going to do?

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I haven’t been abusive or aggressive like those other posts and also haven’t insulted anyone by calling them a ‘moron’. To the best of my knowledge anyway.

I've absolutely been on the receiving end of some of your comments that I would consider abusive or offensive - I'm happy enough to let it wash over as I know people get heated during political debates, but don't try to play innocent in all this.

Also you make a lot of vague, sweeping statements that are clearly meant to cause offense, and think by not directly naming the person you're absolved of responsibility, but you're not.

31 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Starmer has probably decided that reverting to the old system isn't the best way of dealing with this, a new system should be implemented but it's not easy, reducing tax for lower earners is by far the best way of giving them more money, no point in taking away tax then giving them it back in benefits.

Tax cuts aren't targeted by need. Means tested systems create the high marginal deductions that make it better to work part time. 

It really is better to tax people then award benefits by need with long withdrawal tapers. 

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I haven’t been abusive or aggressive like those other posts and also haven’t called anyone a ‘moron’. To the best of my knowledge anyway.

Instead you're going "lalala, I can't hear you", while still absolutely responding and targeting one person in a very childish way. 

This forum has always, going back over 15 years to when I first joined, had a level of back-and-forth including name-calling. About 1/3 of the arguments over that time have involved Neil. And a lot of it worse than moron.

The forum does need greater moderation overall, but while I'm happy to participate a bit, I spend less than an hour a week here atm, between the festivals I'm going to and my 3 jobs. I don't really fancy spending that entire time writing new moderation guidelines and slapping people on the wrist.

At some point, I think we're going to have a slightly larger team. I'll engage with everyone else and help work out some guidelines, but I'm not going to do it on my own. If you want a higher standard of posts, and engagement, stop baiting.

Edited by kaosmark2

I'd rather be directly aggressive than be passive aggressive and act holier-than-thou like ozanne does

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I haven’t called anyone a Tory this evening but that poster has so what are you going to do?

just the other million times you've done it then. also i called people tories for saying some right wing things and supporting abhorrent tory policies- it's fair game.

Just now, kaosmark2 said:

Instead you're going "lalala, I can't hear you", while still absolutely responding and targeting one person in a very childish way. 

This forum has always, going back over 15 years to when I first joined, had a level of back-and-forth including name-calling. About 1/3 of the arguments over that time have been from Neil. And a lot of it worse than moron.

The forum does need greater moderation overall, but while I'm happy to participate a bit, I spend less than an hour a week here atm, between the festivals I'm going to and my 3 jobs. I don't really fancy spending that entire time writing new moderation guidelines and slapping people on the wrist.

At some point, I think we're going to have a slightly larger team. I'll engage with everyone else and help work out some guidelines, but I'm not going to do it on my own. If you want a higher standard of posts, and engagement, stop baiting.

I’d say the person throwing insults around like ‘c*nt’ calling people dumb in their arguments is much more childish than anything I’ve done but all I want is the moderating team to moderate when there is abuse in the thread which there was towards Neil this evening. If that type of behaviour is fine then cool but it’s a slippery slope as more and more will use language like that.

It sounds like the team does need more help, I’d be happy help if need be but understand if not

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’d say the person throwing insults around like ‘c*nt’ calling people dumb in their arguments is much more childish than anything I’ve done but all I want is the moderating team to moderate when there is abuse in the thread which there was towards Neil this evening. If that type of behaviour is fine then cool but it’s a slippery slope as more and more will use language like that.

It sounds like the team does need more help, I’d be happy help if need be but understand if not

Would you be happy to take a time out along with Fray and Neil then?

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I find it odd that you've never called Stevie out for previous aggressive language- why is that I wonder?

Also, once again- why on earth would you be a suitable mod when you've been previously banned for trolling and rub basically everyone up the wrong way with your posts?

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Ah, the old ‘establishment’ argument. Slot this one alongside the Brexiteers’ vague ‘sovereignty’ claim.

I sent the shipping container ‘accommodation’ to a friend and he wondered if it has enough space for the Tory MPs and their kids come the next election…