news & politics:discussion

zahidf

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

100% The Tories.

its hard to name one massive infrastructure project that's been delivered either on time or on budget ..... take Hinkley or the the channel tunnel .... but who would get the blame ? the govt that started the project ? surely many of these take place over several  parliaments ? .... we just don't seem to be as efficient at delivering them ? edit was the millennium dome on time ?

Edited by Crazyfool01

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

its hard to name one massive infrastructure project that's been delivered either on time or on budget ..... take Hinkley or the the channel tunnel .... but who would get the blame ? the govt that started the project ? surely many of these take place over several  parliaments ? .... we just don't seem to be as efficient at delivering them ? edit was the millennium dome on time ?

sh*t british people?

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its hard to name one massive infrastructure project that's been delivered either on time or on budget ..... 

This one sticks in the memory for me. The government were out bidding investment banks on contractor day rates and still didn't deliver anything:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/18/nhs-records-system-10bn

I've a couple of mates who worked on it and some of the stories.

Edited by lost

33 minutes ago, lost said:

Best to stop digging eh?

So you do not want to even try and look at all the links to even begin to understand why it is impossible to summarise it all in 1 sentence and you tell me to stop digging!

I think you have shown all too clearly that you will just make statements based on part of what someone posts and not make any effort to learn about the subject even if offered detailed documents to read.

I shall have  a rest now, cos talking to brick walls is tiring.

Glad your 'alter ego' liked your comment too. Peas in a pod, only one has less insults to throw.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

So you do not want to even try and look at all the links to even begin to understand why it is impossible to summarise it all in 1 sentence and you tell me to stop digging!

I could read all the links a million times and I would still not know which specific projects in the documents you are referring to which make up the 75% of spending. I really don't see how that's so difficult to grasp.

If I gave you a link to the labour party manifesto and said I disagree with two of the policies, Would you know what I was disagreeing with?

Edited by lost
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Good on you for posting links with evidence and research in it, sadly you’ll find in those people you are arguing with that they don’t care for that type of thing. I’m not sure I agree with you totally on this but it’s good you’re putting the effort in and finding information. 

The reason I know where the links are is that I read and research before I come to conclusions and make decisions.

I never just read a sentence and decide as I know the picture is always far bigger than that.

I have no problem with anyone having different views as long as they read what others actually say and are prepared to look at things and not just dismiss based on a couple of words.

If we are going for personal opinions on here then on the matter of Infrastructure I have not actually said what mine is.......... and I am happy for people to disagree with it but here, roughly and without details are some.....

Tidal power, offshore wind (onshore if needed), solar on every roof (domestic and business). No gas, no oil, no nuclear.

Hydrogen cars not electric but with a view to removing as many cars as possible by providing viable alternatives.

Hydrogen boilers not heat pumps.

No more road building (unless absolutely vital) but public transport projects to that connect rural to city (not just city to city) and schedules that work with each other not ones that mean you sit at a station for an hour after your bus arrives. Public transport system state owned and affordable, really affordable.

No new houses built until all derelict ones have been made habitable and all empty shops etc have been changed to living spaces with easy access to local services.

That will do you for a start - and is only a tiny bit of a huge picture - you might gather from this and other posts that I am not red or blue but green, and then not the green of the UK green party as I don't think they go far enough quick enough.

We are all on the edge of a big nasty hitting us and if it was a war money would cease to be a consideration. We need to consider the planet we call home ceasing to be a viable home more than a war and act accordingly.

I expect some will read parts and scoff, some will just scoff, some will throw insults - but I have been active in nature and wildlife conservation all my life and I see what is happening and it cares me.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

I could read all the links a million times and I would still not know which specific projects in the documents you are referring to which make up the 75% of spending. I really don't see how that's so difficult to grasp.

If I gave you a link to the labour party manifesto and said I disagree with two of the policies, Would you know what I was disagreeing with?

Kindly read ALL of what I wrote, then you will see I addressed that part already.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Kindly read ALL of what I wrote, then you will see I addressed that part already.

Can you quote the bit where you outlined the projects that made up 75% of spending I must of missed it.

51 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t really know why, is it just because it’s the Tories or a wider issue?

wider issue, there's a decent case for hs2 but the public don't want to understand it, its easier to slag it off.

13 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Tidal power, offshore wind (onshore if needed), solar on every roof (domestic and business). No gas, no oil, no nuclear.

Hydrogen cars not electric but with a view to removing as many cars as possible by providing viable alternatives.

No more road building (unless absolutely vital) but public transport projects to that connect rural to city (not just city to city) and schedules that work with each other not ones that mean you sit at a station for an hour after your bus arrives. Public transport system state owned and affordable, really affordable.

No new houses built until all derelict ones have been made habitable and all empty shops etc have been changed to living spaces with easy access to local services.

Totally agree.

However it's a shame we didn't start doing this decades ago, because in my opinion it's way past too late.

Along with the above, in order to have a slim chance, we need to stop production of all unnecessary disposable crap ASAP (this is the one I never hear mentioned).

18 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The reason I know where the links are is that I read and research before I come to conclusions and make decisions.

I never just read a sentence and decide as I know the picture is always far bigger than that.

I have no problem with anyone having different views as long as they read what others actually say and are prepared to look at things and not just dismiss based on a couple of words.

If we are going for personal opinions on here then on the matter of Infrastructure I have not actually said what mine is.......... and I am happy for people to disagree with it but here, roughly and without details are some.....

That will do you for a start - and is only a tiny bit of a huge picture - you might gather from this and other posts that I am not red or blue but green, and then not the green of the UK green party as I don't think they go far enough quick enough.

We are all on the edge of a big nasty hitting us and if it was a war money would cease to be a consideration. We need to consider the planet we call home ceasing to be a viable home more than a war and act accordingly.

I expect some will read parts and scoff, some will just scoff, some will throw insults - but I have been active in nature and wildlife conservation all my life and I see what is happening and it cares me.

You have those tune out the bad faith actors in here sadly, I think you know who they are.

I see you said you are Green, so I’m sorry if you’ve explained this before but why are you against HS2? From my basic understanding wouldn’t it help the environment having better/quicker public transport routes which encourage people to leave their cars at home more? I understand that to get HS2 you have to dig up countryside but I’m not sure how else we get there. 

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

wider issue, there's a decent case for hs2 but the public don't want to understand it, its easier to slag it off.

What is that wider issue? Why can’t we build this type of project in a cheaper way like other countries do?

32 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

read somewhere that hydrogen might not be the promised land everyone is hoping...

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What is that wider issue? Why can’t we build this type of project in a cheaper way like other countries do?

we've got a stupid public who think they should have final say on everything.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

we've got a stupid public who think they should have final say on everything.

Yeah I see why that would add to the problem, I guess it’s NIMBYISM as people don’t want to be inconvenienced by the build of these projects. Plus when combined with the Tories it leads to nothing getting done. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's also because it is costing shitloads.

That leads me back to my first question, why is it costing us much more when other countries can do it cheaper?

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That leads me back to my first question, why is it costing us much more when other countries can do it cheaper?

Price of land maybe?