news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yeah that's what I talked about when I mentioned the central govt funding issues .... if it were one or two then miss management would be more likely ... but with increased numbers then the fact they aren't getting the money to start with becomes more likely . Austerity has been hitting budgets for years and services are pretty stretched 

Reckon Bristol might be on the list of possible bankruptcy  have run up big debts by refusing to make cuts.

37 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You’re right but I can understand why they don’t bother to vote. That doesn’t change the wider issue of the older generation in general treating youngsters like rubbish.

What do you mean. Are you talking that they tend to vote Tory, no idea if that is true by the way. If it is has it always been that way?. Humans are selfish f**kers. Wonder if youngsters treat the older generation like rubbish

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

wouldn't bother me having one/some  close to my house ... mind you I do have some cricket ground floodlights as part of my view .... one of the cheapest ways to get electric although not sure how onshore and offshore compare 

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/onshore-vs-offshore-wind-energy

• Thanks 1

Whichever is used (on or off shore) we need pylons onshore to carry the electricity.

The National Grid has a plan to install loads more but that is held up due to local objections as suddenly communi9ties with pylons already don't like pylons.

Locally there is a campaign against a Bute Energy plan for them and it is back by the local Tory MP. Without the pylons the many onshore wind turbines installed over the last 3 years cannot be connected to the grid and so sit motionless.

It is just another part of the bigger picture that has to be dealt with otherwise it does not matter where the wind farms are situated.

29 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

What do you mean. Are you talking that they tend to vote Tory, no idea if that is true by the way. If it is has it always been that way?. Humans are selfish f**kers. Wonder if youngsters treat the older generation like rubbish

Massive sweeping statement of course...but on the whole they do vote tory more than younger people.

26 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

it does not matter where the wind farms are situated.

it does they need to be close to where the leccy is used otherwise a heavy distribution system (pylons, etc) is needed to transport the generated powerto where its needed.

29 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Whichever is used (on or off shore) we need pylons onshore to carry the electricity.

The National Grid has a plan to install loads more but that is held up due to local objections as suddenly communi9ties with pylons already don't like pylons.

Locally there is a campaign against a Bute Energy plan for them and it is back by the local Tory MP. Without the pylons the many onshore wind turbines installed over the last 3 years cannot be connected to the grid and so sit motionless.

It is just another part of the bigger picture that has to be dealt with otherwise it does not matter where the wind farms are situated.

What's a T-pylon and how do we build them? | National Grid ET

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

Who tends to vote Tory? The young tend to vote non-Tory and older people tend to vote Tory.

The young made massive sacrifices through the pandemic and now are stitched up more than the rest in the cost of living crises; I understand how a 20-something would feel like the system is against them. 

27 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Who tends to vote Tory? The young tend to vote non-Tory and older people tend to vote Tory.

The young made massive sacrifices through the pandemic and now are stitched up more than the rest in the cost of living crises; I understand how a 20-something would feel like the system is against them. 

and yet a lot of 20 somethings that feel the system is against them get on the conveyor belt of the system and in time decide it works for them - or are trapped by the system and scared to rock the boat against it...................

and so we end up in a country that has hardly ever had a Left wing government blaming everything on the left wing.

35 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What @Nobody Interesting says really, so those younsters just grow up to dump on the young people below them. But i get your point.

Older people maybe just wanting to pass onto the young people they know and help them. Not ideal I know

10 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and yet a lot of 20 somethings that feel the system is against them get on the conveyor belt of the system and in time decide it works for them - or are trapped by the system and scared to rock the boat against it...................

and so we end up in a country that has hardly ever had a Left wing government blaming everything on the left wing.

not millenials apparently.

Just now, steviewevie said:

becoming right wing correlates directly with the brain dying.

I feel it happening to me. That's why I like Starmer.

That makes me feel happier - cos it means my brain must be alive and well as I am nowhere near liking Starmer (though he is better than the only other likely leader).