news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe delayed because can't afford a house till later. House ownership correlates with voting tory (along with getting more stupid).

its never too late - i've dipped in and out of the housing market four times - too late would have been a mortgage that couldn't be paid off by retirement  age.

am now quite nicely set with a valuable asset. 🙂 (important to old gits like me).

People seem reluctant to accept change 'just in case things get worse' and especially when rich people tell them it will make things worse.

People will also accept change when rich people tell them it is good for them - like in the industrial revolution which was good for some but bad for far more at that time in history.

If this site is still here in 15 years pop back and people will still be having the same or very similar conversations having seen lots change in the world but see little change in their own circumstances. The UK will have  a Conservative government at that time too.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

People seem reluctant to accept change 'just in case things get worse' and especially when rich people tell them it will make things worse.

i say people are uncomfortable with fast change, as they struggle to place themselves within it (fast change is what did for thatcher).

You form your view of the world during your formative years, then try to shape it that way and lastly conserve it from the next generation coming up.

The radical feminists of the 1980's are now the conservatives trying to conserve those rights from todays trans rights movement.

Edited by lost

1 minute ago, lost said:

You form your view of the world during your formative years, then try to shape it that way and lastly conserve it from the next generation coming up.

The radical feminists of the 1980's are now the conservatives trying to conserve those rights from todays trans rights movement.

its no so much 'conserve' as 'protect', to protect them from abolition. if they lose the rights they fought for what did they achieve in the past. 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

its no so much 'conserve' as 'protect', to protect them from abolition. if they lose the rights they fought for what did they achieve in the past. 

conserve

verb

protect (something, especially something of environmental or cultural importance) from harm or destruction.

Just now, lost said:

conserve

verb

protect (something, especially something of environmental or cultural importance) from harm or destruction.

they worry that conflicting trans rights undermine rights they fought for in the past. TERF's try to protect those women's rights from what they see as incompatible trans rights.

55 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and yet a lot of 20 somethings that feel the system is against them get on the conveyor belt of the system and in time decide it works for them - or are trapped by the system and scared to rock the boat against it...................

and so we end up in a country that has hardly ever had a Left wing government blaming everything on the left wing.

I saw something recently that showed millennials (I think) are the first generation that aren’t going to the right as they get older. So whilst you are correct for every generation before, it seems like the younger ones aren’t doing that. 

47 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

What @Nobody Interesting says really, so those younsters just grow up to dump on the young people below them. But i get your point.

Older people maybe just wanting to pass onto the young people they know and help them. Not ideal I know

I see things like this and I’m not sure how much they really want to help the younger generations. 

57 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I see things like this and I’m not sure how much they really want to help the younger generations. 

When the f**k has year long military service ever really been mentioned. New to me. Maybe everyone is talking about it and on the news but f**k me pluck some sh*t out the ether 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

its no so much 'conserve' as 'protect', to protect them from abolition. if they lose the rights they fought for what did they achieve in the 

Now I have been to the pub with a friend so excuse me. But abolition. Really. Bet slave traders felt the same, sh*t moves on

Edited by fred quimby

Just now, fred quimby said:

Now I have been to the pub with a friend so excuse me. But abolition. Really. Bet slave traders felt the same

slave traders hadn't recently campaigned to achieve rights.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

slave traders hadn't recently campaigned to achieve rights.

Of course they did, that is why we paid them stupid amounts for losing slaves, plenty of campaigning I am sure

Or are you saying recently as in time. 

Edited by fred quimby

36 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

When the f**k has year long military service ever really been mentioned. New to me. Maybe everyone is talking about it and on the news but f**k me pluck some sh*t out the ether 

It was mentioned last week I think, which is why YouGov polled on it

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It was mentioned last week I think, which is why YouGov polled on it

Ok, I never heard anything about it. Nonsense though. Never happening so such a pointless thing really.

Mind you, turn it into a reality TV show and people will be in

Edited by fred quimby

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Lots of people don't realise they create quite  a lot of noise.  The edge of the blades creating a whooshing sound amongst others.  Its around 40db.  Which is like sitting next to a noisy fridge.

Not all the complaints are without substance.  You might regret it if they built one near your home.

Probably soon get used to it and not sleep when they stop turning. Ask anyone near something constant and rhythmic.  Classic is trains, my Daughter moved near a train line, does not hear them at all at night now. 

4 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Classic is trains, my Daughter moved near a train line, does not hear them at all at night now. 

i lived near a trainline only time i heard them was noisy freight trains in the middle of the night.

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.lbc.co

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/penny-mordaunt-national-service/

It came off the back of these comments 

Cheers. Just bullshit headlines. nothing in it.

Mind you, you are probably correct, Starmer moving more to the right as he gets older 😃

Edited by fred quimby

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/penny-mordaunt-national-service/

It came off the back of these comments from Penny Mordaunt.

Doesn’t sound all that different to the Duke of Edinburgh award that my school year was told was ‘essential’ at the start of the millennium. I think only me and five others in the year group completed the suggested number of voluntary hours.