news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

You say reduce but its probably more accurate to say control.

I don't think find anyone who thinks drug laws will stop the use of all drugs.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Well thats on your because I have stated it...

I am for us controlling drugs in the way that we do.  I think its fine.

Tax, age limits and health warnings on cigs and alcohol seem appropriate.  

Regulation and control on prescribed drugs needs to be better.

Making other drugs illegal is fine with me.

Can I be anymore clear?

Yes you can be clearer.

You like the way we do it whilst admitting the way we do it will not stop it.

I could quote more but then that is more for you to take in.|

So to take it right back full cicle, what is the point in carrying on with a system that is not making any real difference?

Very easy for the government to control what you buy if they wanted too.  All items are already classified so would be easy it implement controls in a cashless society.

Its coming for sure... 

People in Austria don't like using cards for these reasons.  They have always been against it.

Stop the presses - we agree totally.

Very easy for the government to control what you buy if they wanted too.  All items are already classified so would be easy it implement controls in a cashless society.

Not in small shops/restaurants. 

Anywhere that serves alcohol has a bigger profit percentage on the non alcoholic products. The card payment is manually inputted the majority of the time. Plus you have bill splitting. Would be impossible to track who is ordering what and how many for. 

2 minutes ago, lost said:

You could do it with crypto which is why people fear central bank digital currencies.

Would mean every physical item would need an electronic tag. 

How do you add an electronic tag to a pint of cask real ale from a beer festival for example?

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

How do you add an electronic tag to a pint of cask real ale from a beer festival for example?

beer festivals we become illegal.

everyone will just sit around in the heat bored shitless staring at their devices for something.

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You can use smart contracts which are programs stored on a blockchain that run when predetermined conditions are met so you could simply use barcodes or QR codes scanned by the person doing the selling. Money can only be spent when x or y is met i.e database of barcodes sorted into healthy and unhealthy food.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Every item already has a tag.  its called a barcode.

If they ever brought in restrictions 99.9% of business would just conform.

Not everything you buy has one. Especially at a festival. Plus barcodes just input whatever data you choose to assign to them especially for the small scale independent business. 

I’d predict a rise in the underground drinking culture that first appeared a century ago. Instead of controlling what people drink you drive it to the illegal and uncontrolled world which as history shows is far more dangerous than the current regulated but legal systems we have now. 

Anyone got a spare bathtub I can make gin in?

21 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You seem to think its only worth doing if its 100% successful.  This view point would see pretty much every law being viewed as pointless.

I don't think success is no one ever taking drugs ever.  I think success is having a big impact so the majority of the population behave.

I have explained how I view success and how I think it "works".  Its not an all or nothing thing.  

Your thinking is very binary.

Earlier on you stated that the majority do not take drugs cos they are illegal and immediately followed that by stating the majority did not take drugs before they were illegal.

My thinking is not binary at all - you have stated you think it makes no real difference using different words but the admission is there for all to see whilst you refuse to accept any other point of view nor that there might be better ways that actually make a positive difference.

If your house was on fire and it was not spreading because of what you did would you class that as a success or would you do something different to put the fire out?

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I might join the libertarian party at this rate.

Its the Holy Grail for central banks. As we've found out during interest rate discussions, interest rates are a blunt tool. With CBDC's governments can simply update the code behind our money to say block money being spent in part of the economy which maybe over heating or hand out free money which can only be spent on certain things.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Its the Holy Grail for central banks. As we've found out during interest rate discussions, interest rates are a blunt tool. With CBDC's governments can simply update the code behind our money to say block money being spent in part of the economy which maybe over heating or hand out free money which can only be spent on certain things.

all sounds very groovy and sexy dystopian...but I don't think this will happen.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I was talking about laughing gas not all drugs..

You keep repeating your viewpoint.  I keep stating mine clearly.  

Mine isn't going to change just by you repeating the same questions 🙂

I am not going to answer your pointless question on fires 😛 

So to avoid and questioning you label the other point as 'pointless' - it is called an analagy by the way and they are often used to weed out those who contradict themselves................. oh and the post I quoted was not about just NOS, it was  a general one on the laws connected to drugs as a whole.

Still, you will never admit you contradict yourself as that means saying what you really are.

Have  a nice life. Today has been an easy pleasure in watching your mask slip.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

all sounds very groovy and sexy dystopian...but I don't think this will happen.

Only if people stand up to it, its too tempting for politicians. A database of every bit of money in circulation? Who owns it, How they came about getting it and then what they spent it on.

I also believe its already happening in China via the social credit score system. You can be frozen out of using things like say public transport or vending machines if you have a low score.

Edited by lost

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Only if people stand up to it, its too tempting for politicians. A database of every bit of money in circulation? Who owns it, How they came about getting it and then what they spent it on.

I also believe its already happening in China via the social credit score system. You can be frozen out of using things like say public transport or vending machines if you have a low score.

maybe in a century or two when we're all living on antarctica or the moon and flying round in jetpacs and bonking robots and getting high on soma and melange.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe in a century or two when we're all living on antarctica or the moon and flying round in jetpacs and bonking robots and getting high on soma and melange.

Given the change in what we all do and how we all do it compared to just 10 years ago the next steps of change to utilise technology are going to be quick and soon and governments that want to know things will use them to learn things and in turn to control things.

I have no idea where it is all heading but the more information you allow others to have and the more tech you use will mean the easier you will be to control should anyone wish.

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Given the change in what we all do and how we all do it compared to just 10 years ago the next steps of change to utilise technology are going to be quick and soon and governments that want to know things will use them to learn things and in turn to control things.

I have no idea where it is all heading but the more information you allow others to have and the more tech you use will mean the easier you will be to control should anyone wish.

ok. Going to switch off my phone.

Earlier there was debate (if you can call it that) about who was in charge of Birmingham Council during the period the compensation bill of £760 for equal pay was generated.

Well the answer is it was a No Overall Control council led by a non-binding coalition of Conservatives and Liberal Democrats. The case took 6 years to come to the supreme court where, in November 2012 it found that the claimants could backdate their pay claim for 6 years rather than 6 months as was the previous ruling.

This means the period the money is due from was around 2000-2006 when the NOC were in charge led by Mike Whitby, a Conservative.

That all said and checked for accuracy the case did find that since the equal pay act in 1970 there had been unequal pay but the claimants could only go back 6 years from the date the case was originally placed.

So you could argue that Labour were in part to blame as the council has changed many times and in that time nobody addressed the problem but the period in which money is due was not at any point under Labour control and was, as shown, NOC with a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition.

Hope this helps to clear up any doubts and dispel any false information that has been shared.

image.png.8d5fe0b4f87bde755ad3bd32a020643d.png

image.png.7622ae606599136d8f567ad2391b25ad.png

1 hour ago, lost said:

Looks like I'll need an allotment and a good knowledge of foraging then

This year I've been making a conscious effort to buy things with actual money, you know, that paper and metal stuff.

I wonder how many younger folks know what it is or are aware that it exists.

Edited by Skip997

I love being cashless, I very rarely use cash these days just use my phone. I love doing that, makes things much easier and less things to carry around.

I doubt much if any of the claims above will actually happens. We certainly won’t end up like China. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I love being cashless, I very rarely use cash these days just use my phone. I love doing that, makes things much easier and less things to carry around.

I doubt much if any of the claims above will actually happens. We certainly won’t end up like China. 

I hope not but undeniably we've moved in that direction under this regime